Shimano 2012 XT M785 Disc Brake better than Hope Tech M4's

Skylark

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got my XT's today, only heard good things about them. I would prefer hopes too, but unlike patches, I cant get them for R1500 :(

Funny this thread should come up. I'm currently in the process of a new build and I'm trying to decide between Shimano XT's and Hope Tech X2 Evo. Pricing is similar. I've only ever had Shimano on my other bikes, but I'm keen for the bling look of the Hopes and I hear that they are leagues ahead in terms of build quality and performance.

Does anybody have any experience to sway me one way or the other?

Just replaced my 2012 XT brakes( two sets of the rear cylinder has leaked fluid onto the pads and disk, anyone else have this issue?) with Formula R1 race, very happy with the power/weight ratio.

Any system on a bike that uses Dot fluid will eventually give problems !

But the Shimano's don't use dot fluid.......

I paid R1500 for my Tech M4 Evo's (excl. rotors)... it's about knowing where to look wink.png

Where, who, how!??!???!? Tell me!

Any system on a bike that uses Dot fluid will eventually give problems !

Of which I have first hand experience...on paper dot5.1 is ooooo and aaaaah with higher boiling point blah blah blah. But in reality it's garbage for mtb's...it eats the brake up from the inside out.

Of which I have first hand experience...on paper dot5.1 is ooooo and aaaaah with higher boiling point blah blah blah. But in reality it's garbage for mtb's...it eats the brake up from the inside out.

Stupid question but what exactly happens? Does it corrode the brake lines internally?

Edited by robinh

Guest Omega Man

Where, who, how!??!???!? Tell me!

CRC and there's a german site called bike24. They are RIDICULOUSLY reasonable. 140 euro a side.

Hopes are cheap if you consider that the master cylinder and caliper are milled out of one piece of billet. They aren't forged in batches of 100 000. Also if you shop around you can get them for prices that rival the mass produced items from Avid and Shimano.

Where you do get hammered is with rotors. Hopes don't come with rotors. You have to buy them seperately And if you buy the V2's you really get boned cos you HAVE to run Hope rotors to get their full power. But I don't care. I've got super sick brakes and bling ass rotors.

I did a trip to the Alps this year and all the guys I went with apart from me had to bleed their brakes at least once.

1x Shmano saint

2x Formula the One

5x Avid Code

1x Hope V2 (No Bleed required.)

Having said that you are hammering 70km of dh a day and doing 6km descents at a time so it's not unreasonable for a brake to need a bleed every few days over there.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

right size (santa cruz) but no deal! http://1.1.1.3/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png

I'll swap you an undisclosed (on this thread) number of unmarked Nelson heads in a brown paper bag.

Stupid question but what exactly happens? Does it corrode the brake lines internally?

No the brake lines are fine...its the rubber bits that the dot5.1 eats up. Any seals / or o-rings are toast that gets exposed to it are ticking time bombs...it's not if they will fail, its when. My brakes started giving crap...leaking / spongy, so I decided to bleed them, the fluid was black that I removed from all the rubber it has chowed away. I gave them away and bought shimano and haven't had an issue since. Maybe I had a faulty set....maybe they have upped their game and re-designed their product...I am not prepared to find out though by buying another

No the brake lines are fine...its the rubber bits that the dot5.1 eats up. Any seals / or o-rings are toast that gets exposed to it are ticking time bombs...it's not if they will fail, its when. My brakes started giving crap...leaking / spongy, so I decided to bleed them, the fluid was black that I removed from all the rubber it has chowed away. I gave them away and bought shimano and haven't had an issue since. Maybe I had a faulty set....maybe they have upped their game and re-designed their product...I am not prepared to find out though by buying another

Thanks - interesting to know thumbup1.gif

Guest Omega Man

But the Shimano's don't use dot fluid.......

Ja shimano uses mineral oil if I'm not mistaken. And the saints that I used felt like some of the minerals (sand) were still in the brake lines.

I know it's a preference thing but I just can't like shimano. My dh bike runs hopes and my trail bike runs Avid codes with the R1000 optional straitline gold lever upgrade.

Edited by Omega Man