My 1st 29er experiece

Jaco-fiets

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I just dont know if I should get a hardtail or a softtail!! :unsure:

I upgraded from a 26er hardtail to a 29er hardtail. Loving it and don't miss the lack of suspension on the rear. I rode the softer version of my bike a while back and do not regret the decision at all. Only go dual if you don't have enough padding on your rear :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

I got a fat ass.

What i like about the 29er (maybe the geometry of this bike just suits me better) is that it feels like im sitting "inside" the bike and not "ontop" of the bike like on a 26er. This gives me better controle. It feels like i can really throw the bike into the corners in the singletrack. Absolutely love it!

Hope my above statement makes sense

Siiting "inside" the bike instead of on top of it is the best description I have heard, only those who have ridden a 29er would understand, and I am not being malicious - it just is a great feeling! Enjoy the new bike and start watching your times on your normal route, I took three minutes of my best time for my mid week neighbourhood ride with the 29er.

I "upgraded" to a 29er in April, improved on most of my Endomondo PB distances & times on my training routes within the first 3 rides. Those first few rides on the 29er was just amazing, pity that you get used to the 29er just like anything else in life!

However interestingly (for me at least), I have one training route, about 20km of district road & tar with a lot of climbing (including one long steep climb) which usually take me about an hour to ride. I have never managed to beat my PB 26er time on that route with the 29er, actually I don't even get close. Recently while the 29er was in for a service, I rode the same route again on the old 26er, and without even trying particularly hard, I came close to my PB time and comfortably bested my best time on the 29er for that route!

Great thread. Great write up Jaco. I've been back and forth on the whole 6er / 9er angle for a while now.

I'm 5'9" (ride a small) and been more than happy with various 6er for my riding which is trail, single and more a fun-bmx-with-gears that you can throw around. I'm not doing long roads, I'd rather ride road and cover distance fast on that. I kinda figured that the 6er was best as it's throwable, immediate, great for the mountain. I like a smaller bike than a penny farthing.

I even put coin down on a new Merida yesterday... now you've got me thinking as it seems you ride the same terrain as me and you're converted.

Nuts.

I'm getting my first 29er today so really looking forward to it! Even more excited now after reading this thread. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Edited by shaun85

Where all the haters at this morning?

lol - i wouldnt say I am a hater...but when i last upgraded i looked seriously at a 29er..took it around some local singletrack etc and just didnt feel as comfortable...so i stuck with the smaller wheels. opposite to what eldron said...it just didnt fit and felt luggish

Now you only need a Power Balance Band --- then you will be even faster !

Placebo is a wonderfull thing.

Now you only need a Power Balance Band --- then you will be even faster !

Placebo is a wonderfull thing.

I have proved that the Power balance band does not work. I put one on my bikes handlebars and let the bike go and it fell over - zip balance, the bike could not stand on its own,nothing, zero - proof that it does not work !!