how long do shocks and suspension forks last?

rudi-h

For the last while my rear shock loses pressure and my fork leaks oil on the rebound side. I took it in for a shock service yesterday and indications are it wont come cheap.

The stantions are still looking good, so I hope its only seals etc.

Are shocks and suspension forks "like new" after a proper service or do these things have a limited life? I guess the real question: Is it worthwhile to spend R2k on servicing these items?

The bike was bought in early 2008 and has a Fox R2 (I think) shock and a Fox F100R suspension fork. Done approx 10000km I would guess

Have you not serviced your suspension in all that time?

I have mine serviced at least once every 6 months at R550 a shot. It sure beats having your stanchions damaged and then having to pay R3500 or more for new stanchions and crown.

had a seal replaced on the "air side" of my fork i think two years ago, but generally I'm not big on maintenance.

I run a Rohloff hub so that I don't have to replace chains, casettes, cables etc. so my bike has been going like it is now since mid 2010 without any service / maintenance. I only wash and lube it every now and then.

i know i gotta do something... Just asking if they'll be as good as new after a proper service or if shocks/forks have a limited life?

had a seal replaced on the "air side" of my fork i think two years ago, but generally I'm not big on maintenance.

I run a Rohloff hub so that I don't have to replace chains, casettes, cables etc. so my bike has been going like it is now since mid 2010 without any service / maintenance. I only wash and lube it every now and then.

Do you do the same to your car and ask questions on car forums about engines having a limited life?

i know i gotta do something... Just asking if they'll be as good as new after a proper service or if shocks/forks have a limited life?

Have you been given an indication of what it will cost? Yip as mentioned already, fork maintenance is important, you either do it regularly(as recommended) or you do it in one big go(very expensive as there is usually excessive wear on your expensive parts caused by parts that a relatively cheap to replace). I would as a matter of interest ask you LBS what the replacement price of that fork is, that should help you decide. Yes it should be good as new with all parts replaced.

You the man I must speak to then about Rohloff - slightly OT but what has the experience on the Rohloff been like - is it as realiable as it looks and how often do you need to maintain it. If it deoes break how easy is it to fix it and are there local people who can help or is it a matter of shipping overseas.

I want to build a SS type setup with Rohloff - (suppose not SS then :-)) . They are expensive so I wnat to know how they are before laying out the wonga..

Do you do the same to your car and ask questions on car forums about engines having a limited life?

Firstly, there are vast differences between car maintenance and bike maintenance:

People use cars to make a living. If your car breaks, then your life stops for a few days and businesses with fleets of vehicles lose craploads of money. Therefore the car maintenance issue is very clearly defined, understood and regulated.

Bikes on the other hand are stuff that people (often with too much money) keep for their pleasure and nothing happens to your life if your bike breaks down for a few days. The bike shop owners suggest the service intervals that are often excessive, because the shops make money from people like you and me that service shocks every 6 months as opposed to maybe 9, 12 or even 24 months.

So the analogy is this: If i drive a car with 300000km on the clock and the engine starts to use oil, I won't bother to try and fix it, cause its a lost case and we all know that. If the gearbox would leak oil at the seal on the same car, I can replace the seal and it will very likely go another 300000km without issues.

Hope this explains what I'm trying to get to

Edited by rudi-h

Firstly, there are vast differences between car maintenance and bike maintenance:

People use cars to make a living. If your car breaks, then your life stops for a few days and businesses with fleets of vehicles lose craploads of money. Therefore the car maintenance issue is very clearly defined, understood and regulated.

Bikes on the other hand are stuff that people (often with too much money) keep for their pleasure and nothing happens to your life if your bike breaks down for a few days. The bike shop owners suggest the service intervals that are often excessive, because the shops make money from people like you and me that service shocks every 6 months as opposed to maybe 9, 12 or even 24 months.

So the analogy is this: If i drive a car with 300000km on the clock and it starts to leak oil, I won't bother to try and fix it, cause its a lost case and we all know that. If the gearbox would leak oil at the seal on the same car, I can replace the seal and it will very likely go another 300000km without issues.

Hope this explains what I'm trying to get to

Replace car with any recreational vehicle then. Quad bike, MX bike, boat etc etc etc.

Bottom line is you need to maintain everything in order for it to last. Never mind how you feel about it's official use.

You the man I must speak to then about Rohloff - slightly OT but what has the experience on the Rohloff been like - is it as realiable as it looks and how often do you need to maintain it. If it deoes break how easy is it to fix it and are there local people who can help or is it a matter of shipping overseas.

I want to build a SS type setup with Rohloff - (suppose not SS then :-)) . They are expensive so I wnat to know how they are before laying out the wonga..

I like the Rohloff. Shifting is immediate and perfect every time and you can skip any amount of gears in a fraction of a second without moving the cranks. Maintenance is virtually non-existent so from that point of view its a sure winner.

The downside is being heavy and as a result of the seals etc. it has a bit more running friction than any normal setup. If you are a serious racing snake then its definitely not the answer, but for somebody I'm a happy customer. You might want to try it out, so give me a buzz if you want to take my bike for a spin somewhere over the holidays, I'm next to emmarentia and delta park.

You can get it from Bruce Reyneke in Pretoria if you want to find out pricing etc.

Maintenance intervals are there for a reason. And usually specified by the manufacturers, not the LBS.

Yes, you're bike is not like a car ito of maintenance, but it will cost you a lot more if you don't do it regularly.

Same as how a car needs regular oil changes and clean filters, a fork need clean oils, seals and bushings.

To answer your question on lifespan, it can be really long if serviced regularly. I know of Manitou Skarebs (2000 models) that are still running perfectly and the stanchions look none the worse for wear, but I have seen R7s, Fox and Reba's that have stanchions that are scratched beyond repair due to running dirty. This could have been avoided.

Dirty oil and dirt underneath the seals become like sandpaper to your stanchions, and will scratch it to hell. And then the fork starts leaking oil out at the top.

And a fork that has been serviced recently feels like butter. Lekker smooth.

If the forks are out of warrantee period nothing stops your LBS from pulling off the legs and doing it themselves, then do it regularly, not that expensive, and the suspension rides a lot better.

Replace car with any recreational vehicle then. Quad bike, MX bike, boat etc etc etc.

Bottom line is you need to maintain everything in order for it to last. Never mind how you feel about it's official use.

i get that. all i'm asking is whether a shock with that type of service life (5 years / 10000km) is worth "fixing", or should I rather replace?

Depends on the extent of the damage done.

If the stanchions are OK then it's worth servicing them. New seals and bushings as well as oil should do it.

If the LBS is going to take it apart then ask them to phone you once it's open & thern check if you can see an fair amount of wear on the stanchions closest to the seals is where it regularly dies.

If you don't see the "sandpaper" scratches that was mentioned then go for it & service them!

R2500 for a service sounds like a lot to me.

The service seals shouldn't be more than R300 a pop. Front has the seal service kit & the intrnal service kit which means 2 sets front & 1 set at the back.

Just depends whether the lower bushes needs replacement - have NO IDEA how much that could cost, but I don't think like R1000!