No CSA license covered by PPA membership for 99er

walkerr

Was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who felt that way .... already voted with my pocket for 2013. Will gladly be back to the 99er in future years though if they can both get their acts together

Ditto

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I repeat that if any funriders or serious funriders have any sense, they should avoid entering any races that require them to pay for a day license.

Also not entering the 99'er, because of that. I can ride the route anytime I want, and don't have to fork out a lot of moola to do it.

The fact that 99er is an Argus seeding (2014) event will probably still draw the crowds

While CSA has issues and I think it is far from perfect, the are at worst a necessary evil. According to Sascoc regulations, cycling has to have one regulatory body that conforms to Sascoc constitution and that means having provincial structures (which I think is why PPA had to be ousted). CSA is it (if it was not CSA it would be a different acronym but probably have the same people), so whether we like it or not, CSA is probably here to stay -- if you are not happy with what they do, you could try and run for office and change things (I know I do not want to).

Are they worthwhile? As I said I think they have their faults and there are areas worthy of a lot of criticism. But they also do a lot of good behind-the-scenes work from administering a calendar to choosing teams (OK, I do not know how well they do that -- ask Cherise) to bidding for international events to training officials and getting them accredited to providing insurance to race organisers (without which there would not be races or they would be much more expensive) to dealing with government to making sure you are not horribly ripped off by race organisers to making sure race organisers have proper safety structures in place to making sure teams can compete overseas (how many of you enjoyed seeing Burry at London 2012, or Greg Minnaar win World Champs -- without CSA neither would have happened).

For all of that and more, R35 a race is maybe not that bad. However, if you ride more than two races a year, the R35 is only an issue if you are a bit dim.

Rather take out CSA membership for the massive sum of R75 and you do not have to pay R35 a race ... so if you ride three races it costs R25, and ride 10 races it costs you R7.50 a race -- you club membership will almost certainly cost you more.

I will moan about CSA with the best of them, but I think the bottom line is that all sports need some sort of administration and structures and for cycling we have CSA -- unless we want get off our bikes and spend time being administrators.

The fact that 99er is an Argus seeding (2014) event will probably still draw the crowds

Yip, that distinguishes it from other races.

Much like the Burger with a hefty race ticket cost.

I repeat that if any funriders or serious funriders have any sense, they should avoid entering any races that require them to pay for a day license.

Ditto

Also not entering the 99'er, because of that. I can ride the route anytime I want, and don't have to fork out a lot of moola to do it.

I, for one, will also cut off my nose to spite my face!

Actually, no, wait... I don't care about petty politics and accept that the sport I chose has some costs associated with it.

Also, I'm not a bergie, so I think I'll just manage to scrape together that extra R35 the evil, evil CSA is making us pay!

Seriously: how so many people can care enough about such a small thing such as this is beyond me.

I won't pay as the CSA in my eyes do nothing to benefit me.

And honestly, why must every industry have a regulating body. It's a money making scheme.

Actually, no, wait... I don't care about petty politics and accept that the sport I chose has some costs associated with it.

Also, I'm not a bergie, so I think I'll just manage to scrape together that extra R35 the evil, evil CSA is making us pay!

Seriously: how so many people can care enough about such a small thing such as this is beyond me.

And that' why us folks cannot protest.

Edited by Let's Ride

And that' why us folks cannot protest.

Protests should be about something worthwhile, like, for example: a living wage, an end to political oppression or an end to a country's involvement in a war.

But you're welcome to protest about R35 if you feel it's a worthwhile cause.

I don't think so much that the money is the issue, but the principal itself. if I were a league racer, I would not hesitate to pay the required license fees.

The point of the matter is WHY do funriders have to pay it? After all they riding for fun (albeit some seriously)

I am also no Bergie and surely afford the R220.00 entry fee plus the R35.00 CSA fee. I JUST CHOOSE NOT TO BE EXPLOITED.

What extra "value for money" does the CSA bring to this race, except that it is an Argus qualifier? Except for that, does it warrant the fact that this race is almost double the cost of the PPA races. I THINK NOT. Therefore I will vote with my wallet.

Ps. I probably will be doing the route as a training ride in preparation for the Argus the week before the race, so I do get to see the view and whatever they punt.

I am also no Bergie and surely afford the R220.00 entry fee plus the R35.00 CSA fee. I JUST CHOOSE NOT TO BE EXPLOITED.

What extra "value for money" does the CSA bring to this race, except that it is an Argus qualifier? Except for that, does it warrant the fact that this race is almost double the cost of the PPA races. I THINK NOT. Therefore I will vote with my wallet.

Ps. I probably will be doing the route as a training ride in preparation for the Argus the week before the race, so I do get to see the view and whatever they punt.

Each to his own. I guess I'm just not cut out to be a freedom fighter.

Just by the way: I did the Burger this weekend and it cost... wait for it... R210. That's R10 more than the 99er! Damn your eyes PPA!

Not sure what I'm missing here, the R35 will be there in 2013 for every PPA race, the organisers have no choice in it, boycotting just the 99er because of that doesn't make sense to me...

Regarding the high R220 entry fee, take a look on the FAQ on the website, there are valid reasons why this race is more expensive than the average PPA funride, not all of us may agree that this is the best "business model" for a race but its definitely not simply a case of the organisers exploiting us poor cyclists

Each to his own. I guess I'm just not cut out to be a freedom fighter.

Just by the way: I did the Burger this weekend and it cost... wait for it... R210. That's R10 more than the 99er! Damn your eyes PPA!

Ai ai, the Burger IS NOT A PPA RACE. That is why you had to pre register and get your racepack and also why the entry fee was so high..

B.T.W, that is the race I chose to use as an Argus qualifier, so no need to do the 99'er and get raped again.

Ai ai, the Burger IS NOT A PPA RACE. That is why you had to pre register and get your racepack and also why the entry fee was so high..

B.T.W, that is the race I chose to use as an Argus qualifier, so no need to do the 99'er and get raped again.

See how clueless I am? By this time I'm so used to getting raped I bring my own Vaseline...