My new AM BIKE!!!

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Guest Omega Man

No clue. Will have to set on the trail when it has the wheels on...

What I'm about to type is from Devon. I know nothing about suspension.

The boost valve is supposed to be between 125 and 200psi. It's effectively a pneumatic bottom out so go high. I'm running it at 180. When I got the bike the rear felt crap cos the boost was only on 100 and it would feel fine in the parking lot and on the small stuff but on the big hits it would just bottom out.

The air spring you can also go high here too. I think mine's 160 or 170. Devon reckons you can run less sag than recommended cos of the nature of the large air chamber.

Oh. have the little pro pedal piepie pointing down (open) when you set it up

Having said all that I run my lyric harder than recommended and I leave the pro pedal on for trails like the snakeys cos I hate it when the bike wallows in the corners like a coil sprung bike.

And. I know nothing about suspension. I'm just telling you what I do.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Oh. One other thing. To set the pressure on the shock you have to unscrew the top shock bolt. Not a good idea out in the bush.

No clue. Will have to set on the trail when it has the wheels on...

100-105 kgs rekon you about 190-200 psi maybe 205,surprised that fox dhx5 doesnt go up to 300 >?

Oh. One other thing. To set the pressure on the shock you have to unscrew the top shock bolt. Not a good idea out in the bush.

Thanks for the tip.

I also prefer mine stiff...

So I got a sweet Rocky Mountain Slayer used and it has a Fox DHX air 5.0 in the rear. I am 260lbs with gear and have it maxed out at 200psi and still have about 65% sag.

Is there something wrong with the shock or am I just past its working range? If so what is a good rear shock for a big guy and that won't fight your pedaling? I am an all mountain rider.

First see if the shock is stuckdown. That means you have to release all the air chamber pressure. If the shock self-compresses a lot, then the shock is stuckdown. If not, since you're a big guy, the first thing you need to do is use the smaller air can, and that's available from Fox. You should likely be doing that anyhow.

I believe the max pressure according to fox is 300, not 2. My 575 came with a DHX air, and it wasn't usable with anything less than that in it, I was about 250 geared up at the time.

Push and/or a smaller volume air sleeve if available are what I'd try, but I wouldn't rule out switching to something else.

Every fox shock I have seen has a max psi of 300.

Now on the DHX, the boost valve may possibly have a max psi of 200. I dunno.

You should have 2 different valves on the dhx 5,

1 for the air can (300psi)

and one for the boost valve (???psi)

Download the manual for it here.........

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...er/manuals.htm

EDIT: Looking at the manual, it only shows 1 schrader valve in the picture, but it says max of 300psi.

What year is your shock?

Ya, its the reservoir air chamber that has a max of 200psi. Took it out today and put 250psi in it and it felt a lot better.

Sweet. Glad it worked out.

Once you get the main psi dialled in, play with the boost chamber a bit. You may not want it at max 200. Could possibly ride on the harsh like that when propedal is on.

Installing Your Shock

If you are installing your shock on a bike in which the shock is not original equipment:

• Install the shock.

• Remove the main air chamber air cap and let all the air out of the main air chamber.

• Carefully cycle the suspension through its entire travel.

• Check that all parts of the shock are clear of the frame and swingarm as it cycles through the travel.

• Pressurize your main air chamber to a minimum of 50 psi and no more than 300 psi. You will tune to a more specific air pressure in the Setting Sag section below.

Never ride your bike with more than 200 PSI or less than 75 PSI in the reservoir air chamber. Doing so can damage your shock and require repairs that are NOT covered under warranty.

Hi

from memory 200 psi max in the boost valve (written on piggy back decal) If you run more you make the shock feel a bit crap and increase the likelyhood of a internal seal blowing, resulting in the need for a service or rebuild, which is pricy

In the main air chamber you can run up to 300psi

I'm guessing your blowing through the travel to easily.

Check your spring rate/air pressure firstly here

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

you should be getting a third sag sat on the saddle with propedal set to minimum.

If your heavier than 14/15 stone the dhx will work a lot better with a tune on the compression and rebound as there set for the joe average and if your above or below that range of weight they won't work so well.

You also fill the extra air volume air sleeve with grease to reduce the volume making the shock more progressive through it's stroke, making it harder to bottom out.

Think you may be getting mixed up with the Boost chamber pressure which has a max of 200psi.

The main shock chamber max is 300psi.

The above is for DHX 5.0 Air 2009/10. Not sure about the older models best check on the Fox Tech section.

Was correct for 2009/10 DHX 5.0 Air

2009 DHX 5.0 Air

Main chamber min=50psi max=300psi

Boost min=125psi max=200psi

Links here for Fox setup guide

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/09/Eng/Content/Rear_Shocks/DHX_Air_50.

Bit conflicting hope it all helps thumbup1.gif

looks like;

Boost chamber pressure which has a max of 200psi

The main shock chamber max is 300psi

Never ride your bike with more than 200 PSI or less than 75 PSI in the reservoir air chamber

thumbup1.gif

Guest Omega Man

http://www.tftunedsh...calculator.aspx FTW http://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif

Ok so how do you figure out what to pump your shock up to cos that just gives you a spring weight.

We've stolen Myles's Thread and turned it into a shock tuning thread. haha

Edited by Omega Man

Thanks for the tip.

I also prefer mine stiff...

Bet your GF says the same thing.... ph34r.png

Nice ride by the way thumbup1.gif Makes me want to bin the 'Goose and go shopping drool.gif

Edit: Added a smiley to make sure the humour came through...whistling.gif

Edited by Grebel

Makes me want to bin the 'Goose and go shopping drool.gif

but you just got it! OMG - you okes are shocking ...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mclik53MAy1rjj9tso1_1280.jpg

chopping and changing your mind every week! tongue.png tongue.png laugh.png laugh.png

PS - Grebel - NEXT weekend - Riding PMB! Be there!

but you just got it! OMG - you okes are shocking ...

chopping and changing your mind every week! tongue.png tongue.png laugh.png laugh.png

PS - Grebel - NEXT weekend - Riding PMB! Be there!

No man not that one! You gonna have to bring a strong crow bar to get me off that one!!

The other one... I saw a thread about somebody biulding an AM Imbuzi somewhere....whistling.gif

PMB - Sat or Sun? Saturday evening going to be a BIG party at my house so will be setting up. Sunday going to be huuuuuung ova so that will be fun. Hope it's not as hot as last time....

DUDE !!!

You have a set of wheels to use, now. Put them on and let's see what the bike looks like, do your setup etc.

Ok so how do you figure out what to pump your shock up to cos that just gives you a spring weight.

We've stolen Myles's Thread and turned it into a shock tuning thread. haha

LOL you get a coil on a 6 inch that how you win tongue.png laugh.png

No man not that one! You gonna have to bring a strong crow bar to get me off that one!!

The other one... I saw a thread about somebody biulding an AM Imbuzi somewhere....whistling.gif

PMB - Sat or Sun? Saturday evening going to be a BIG party at my house so will be setting up. Sunday going to be huuuuuung ova so that will be fun. Hope it's not as hot as last time....

hahaha good - cool i'll let you know - im on leave from wed - so can ride during the week too.

OH .. mayhem .... who bought your GT???

You will enjoy that Reign in the wet .... it never Reigns ... it POURS