Absa Cape Epic to impose lifetime ban for doping and increase in competition testing

slabs

Some medication is over the counter as well as available at the SPAR .... should everyone spend tons of extra money getting medical opinions (which might not always be right) in case there was xyz in your cough medication?

The way I understand it, there are meds that you can take, when you need them, that are legal, you just need guidance as to which. You think a pro-sportsman cant take anything if he gets sick? Thats why they have lists, with do's and don'ts.

Ask your Pharmacist

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I understand it, there are meds that you can take, when you need them, that are legal, you just need guidance as to which. You think a pro-sportsman cant take anything if he gets sick? Thats why they have lists, with do's and don'ts.

Ask your Pharmacist

Therein lies my point - im not going to have a medical consultation every time i sneeze. Please dont assume the pro's (in any sport) know - they get told my paid medical proffesionals.

Therein lies my point - im not going to have a medical consultation every time i sneeze. Please dont assume the pro's (in any sport) know - they get told my paid medical proffesionals.

Could be easy. When you enter a race, organiser put a list or a link to a list, in laymans language, with Trade names of whatever will get you banned, on their website. Print the list and check if something you are prescribed or buy from the supermarket is on the list. If not, you good to go. If so phone your doc or pharmacy.

Could be easy. When you enter a race, organiser put a list or a link to a list, in laymans language, with Trade names of whatever will get you banned, on their website. Print the list and check if something you are prescribed or buy from the supermarket is on the list. If not, you good to go. If so phone your doc or pharmacy.

There is a list. Published by DrugfreeSA. There is even an app that is very nice to check what is banned and what not.

Ask your Pharmacist

Problem I have with this is that even after I explicitly told the doc I cannot take banned stuff, he still prescribed me banned stuff.

So you can only trust YOURSELF! No doc or pharmacist is going to care.

Problem I have with this is that even after I explicitly told the doc I cannot take banned stuff, he still prescribed me banned stuff.

So you can only trust YOURSELF! No doc or pharmacist is going to care.

Genau!!

It’s the athletes responsibility, no one else’s.

Ignorance is not bliss

Knowledge is power...

any other corny sayings?

Edited by SwissVan

The Absa Cape Epic, the most televised mountain bike stage race in the world, has announced that it will tighten its rules regarding anti-doping by introducing a lifetime ban for future offenders in the wake of the first high-profile doping case in South African mountain biking.

Click here to view the article

Edited by Admin
Thread merged with news section article

bet you a lot of amateurs would be tested positive for cannabis too.......would that result in a lifetime ban from the event? i think it would.

I bet if you rode the Epic on weed, it would feel like you would be taking the rest of your life just to finish clap.gif

Just to understand - are you saying it's ok to dope out of competition, but not in?

Practically it's just impossible for an "amateur" to not "dope". And on your question about your mate beatig you - read my post again, he will be in tier 2 where he'll get a time, but not a placing. You in tier 1 will get a time and placing. Cycling is about your placement, not time.

Should the list of banned substances perhaps be reconsidered?

It sounds to me (a very slow amateur) that it includes just about every drug known to man and that the majority of those do not pose a safety risk or enhance performance. Perhaps they should keep the banned list much shorter but enforce it absolutely and with permanent bans and severe penalties? Ban perhaps 10 drugs that endanger the lives of athletes and make a significant difference to performance levels. To ban every little painkiller or anti-inflammatory or cold medicine is just not sensible. Keep the list simple, the testing simple and enforce it every time, all the time.

(My 2c worth) What do the pros and amateur racing snakes think?

Should the list of banned substances perhaps be reconsidered?

It sounds to me (a very slow amateur) that it includes just about every drug known to man and that the majority of those do not pose a safety risk or enhance performance. Perhaps they should keep the banned list much shorter but enforce it absolutely and with permanent bans and severe penalties? Ban perhaps 10 drugs that endanger the lives of athletes and make a significant difference to performance levels. To ban every little painkiller or anti-inflammatory or cold medicine is just not sensible. Keep the list simple, the testing simple and enforce it every time, all the time.

(My 2c worth) What do the pros and amateur racing snakes think?

This perhaps links to my suggested 2 tier system.

The problem with drugs is that the doctors come up with mixes and concontions combining little effect drugs. That's why we're at the stage of having the banned list we have. That said, things like caffeine was banned before, but not anymore.

But maybe you are correct in that the science has evolved in that maybe new studies can be performed to see what helps and what doesn't.

The point is, it's not as clear cut as you might think if you take the whole spectrum from pro racing to commuting :)

This perhaps links to my suggested 2 tier system.

The problem with drugs is that the doctors come up with mixes and concontions combining little effect drugs. That's why we're at the stage of having the banned list we have. That said, things like caffeine was banned before, but not anymore.

But maybe you are correct in that the science has evolved in that maybe new studies can be performed to see what helps and what doesn't.

The point is, it's not as clear cut as you might think if you take the whole spectrum from pro racing to commuting smile.png

The problem with a lot of the substances banned is not that they are PED's but that they mask,dilute or help get rid of PED's