XT vs XTR Brakes

Trivium

After riding a friends bike that has 2012 shimano XT Brakes, I decided that it is time to change my Juicy Ultimates and the fact that bleeding is easier on the shimano's is a bonus but now the main question, XT or XTR.

I see on CWS the XTR is 110% braking power http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-xtr-m985-disc-brakeset

Shimano's web page claim that XT is 125% braking power

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/global_cycle/en/au/index/products/mountain/Dyna-Sys_Deore_XT/product.-code-BR-M785-L.-type-..html

For the extra 140g I would rather go for the brakes that stop better. Is this right or do the XTR race or Trail also have the 125% braking power. Has anyone dealt with this? If you have please advise me on which to go for.

I would like to save some weight as I am trying to get the bike to under 9kg by end of March but would rather have the extra weight to stop it better.

Many Thanks,

T

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I throw another option in for you.

Hope Race X2. Light and seriously powerful

Very much a fit and forget solution that will be cheaper to maintain.

Run them on my SS and I am super happy. Had XTR Race and I wasnt impressed.

Thank you, will take a look at both of those. How are the formula R1's there is a pair here in Greece for 400euro's?

I currently run XT's on my bike. They are really good brakes with good feedback.

On my previous steed I had formula R1's. Those brakes are super. Never left me out in the cold. I've heard that they don't like wet conditions though. But maybe it could be the pads that weren't suited for the conditions.

But XT is great for the price. R1's are a bit more pricey but also very good. Light as well.

€400 don't seem to bad a price. There was a set sold here on the hub for R4500 recently. Just make sure they have the tool free reach adjust and the pad contact adjust with them. With that you've got a serious set of brakes that can be set up to the micrometer.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

ask Omega Man about his trip to France and his Hopes. Only brakes out of his group that didn't have to be bled over the 2 week period. Only TWO weeks!? I hear you ask?

Think on this - 50 plus km of DH riding per day. Not counting the shuttles / lifts to the top. For 12 / 13 days. That's a LOT of high level braking.

Plus, they look PIMP.

pm me you email address and I'll drop box you a article that covers allot of them, bout 2 months old, was in MTBR.

G

they all stop the bike the difference is the weight thats my opinion .at the moment I'm running xtr and I was running xt before.

Edited by Welcome Mapa Manganye

Thank you, will take a look at both of those. How are the formula R1's there is a pair here in Greece for 400euro's?

Love the R1's! Very lite and powerfull. Makes my juicy ultimates look like v brakes. Bit pricey but 400 euro seem like a steel. If i remember correnty they are around R7000 new

Price is the difference ! I said it before if you want to service your brakes every few months get any set that uses DOT fluid , but if you want maintenance free brakes get something that uses mineral oil , i.e any Shimano product .

I just ordered myself the 2013 M675 SLX brakes. Exactly the same as the 2012 SLX M666 with just a number change.

The M666's got a better write up on Bike Radar than the XT versions.

Ive just taken the plunge and ordered a set of R1's limited editions. Just over R4200 for a set. Includes all the extras such as the toolless reach adjust and pad contact point adjust.

And ill be getting it in 4 days. Thanks DHL and CRC

Edited by Meentb

Ive just taken the plunge and ordered a set of R1's limited editions. Just over R4200 for a set. Includes all the extras such as the toolless reach adjust and pad contact point adjust.

And ill be getting it in 4 days. Thanks DHL and CRC

Checked it out now. I like very much! The pad contact point adjust is great because if i have to fault the R1 on 1 thing it is that there is very little space for the rotor to opperate between the pads

Reason I'm after shimano's is the Shimano mineral oil. I'm going to go and look at those Formula R1's. does anyone know how if I buy them in Greece I will get them back to SA? Will I need to post them to myself?

I'm not to sure what you mean by posting back to yourself. Just pop themin your suitcase or hand luggage