Ride a Cannondale - Risk your life

Think Bike

Is it just me who noticed that alot of people who responded to this thread had admitted that they had cracked cannondale frames replaced under warranty. So it seems that they do in fact crack relatively frequently.

With that in mind, is that not in itself confirmation that this brand fails on a relatively regular basis? Are there other brands that crack frequently as this?

My Look kg486 developed a small crack by the BB last year. (I bought it in 2005) I've since had it repaired and its right as rain once again.

And for the record, I think (thought) Cannondale is a stunning brand.

It's all brands not just Cannondale.

Cannondale just sell more than the others........so have more faults to

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke two frames (non Cannondale) before moving to Cannondale and have not broken a frame so far - holding thumbs.

Good friend also broke a frame recently (also non Cannondale) - its a problem all manufacturers experience, especially as these days frames have to be lighter and provide some degree of flex and comfort as well.

I broke two frames (non Cannondale) before moving to Cannondale and have not broken a frame so far - holding thumbs.

Good friend also broke a frame recently (also non Cannondale) - its a problem all manufacturers experience, especially as these days frames have to be lighter and provide some degree of flex and comfort as well.

Give up those brand names, NickC...

Have you turned soft for 2013?

devil.gif

Didn't Marco Fontana lose his seat post on the last lap of the Olympics MTB race? On a Cannondale of course?

Didn't Marco Fontana lose his seat post on the last lap of the Olympics MTB race? On a Cannondale of course?

Hahaha

Yes.

:-O

Give up those brand names, NickC...

Have you turned soft for 2013?

devil.gif

Dale I was trying not to stoop down to the level of the op - but as Cannondale seems to be getting a one sided bashing from him here goes:

First frame I broke. Look road.

Friends frame: Raleigh road.

Second frame I broke: Giant MTB.

I have had great service from my 3 dales...

Only had a small issue with a first generation Scalpal, it was sorted within a day.

I also broke:

A giant NRS - cracked rear triangle

A specialized ALu stumpjumper HT, down tube

A mongoose Canaan - Down tube

The spec and the Giant were extremely difficult to deal with.

I am an Engineer, worked in the motor industry, we did some engine testing to failure( Over rev, Electrical failures, contamination), crash testing and to comfort you all, all major brands failed at similar points.

Looking at all the brands, the UCI has great sense in the weight limit for racing as there are a few material fundamentals that we don't have the technology to deal with currently. Yes, the brands on the lighter side are taking a slightly higher risk when using material and design assumptions to make their latest equipment.

We can argue tried and tested, vs computer modelled and FEA refined, and if people weren't willing to take those chances, we would all still be walking everywhere.

This is why I do not ride a plastic bike.

I don`t either - I ride a Carbon Fibre bike !!

BTW the two frames I broke prior to getting a Dale were Alu.

I've seen a Formula 1's rear wing break off before and cause an accident... Doens't mean carbon fiber Formula 1's have poor build quality.

That kind of damage, faliure is not a manufacturing fault, more like a crack started from putting it on a trailer where the forks are held. commonly a carbon fork would fail where the dropouts are glued into the fork blades...there is more to this story than is being spoken about. having been in the industry and done carbon construction courses etc to gain an understanding of the material in question - this fork did not "just fail"....my 2c.

Wow...a true pearl of wisdom!!

I wonder if the Op would come back and comment on whether the bike was on a bike rack & 100km journey on farm roads??

PS: i ride Giant (at the moment)...all bikes are equal...some are just more equal than others!!

So they replaced the fork and they are still in the dog box? Also shouldn't you be going through the retail channel? You are talking about Omnico? if so, they have sorted me out a few times with come-backs / problems, via Johnson Cycles here in Jhb. And the agents before them, Cape Cycle Systems.

Plenty of other carbon framed brands snap at times - in accidents / pile-ups, generally when subjected to unanticipated stresses or forces.

In defence of 'dales: I have 5x of various types current, including a CAAD5 roadie with a carbon fork which I ride with complete confidence. Even done some bunny hopping pavements / potholes with the road bike lately, perhaps that's a skill you should acquire? It was obviously some major impact that made it snap like that.

And a quite a few before then (lost count). First 'Dale MTB was purchased in ... 1989 ohmy.png so you are striking deep here bro.

If want tech specs, take a look on the Cannondale website and/or ask around on various forums before dishing the dirt please.

And you Lefty haters, yes you! I challenge you to break one. If it fails, it's 99.9% due to lack of maintenance.

ps Plastic is not the same as carbon fibre. A plastic is a pot pourri of chemicals / molecules.

only someone that has never ridden a lefty could possibly be a lefty hater..