In the market for 29er

Mokgaga'a mmakubela!

I want to buy full suspension MTB that will last me at least 3 yrs. My budget is R13k. Is silverback mercury 29er sport good for a MTB beginner? Planning to do on- and off-road at least 3 times a week and also 1 or 2 races pm.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Marulaneng

I want to buy full suspension MTB that will last me at least 3 yrs. My budget is R13k. Is silverback mercury 29er sport good for a MTB beginner? Planning to do on- and off-road at least 3 times a week and also 1 or 2 races pm.

Thank you in advance.

Silverback is a good make, but have a look through the classifieds on this forum, you might find something better at the same money.

Silverback is a good make, but have a look through the classifieds on this forum, you might find something better at the same money.

+1

I would go for that full XX volcan 26" DS. Very good deal for R17000 and that is prop neg.

There have been least four other threads discussing this topic in the last two months or so... Search for them and read everyone's advise.

For that price range your options for buying new are quite limited. Have a look at the Axis Range here. Otherwise check out the classifieds, you might be able to get a 2nd hand bike for that price or get a frame and then buy some components as needed.

Nothing wrong with Silverback, very good back up. I have the Mercury Comp which was a replacement frame for my Modanine, just moved the components over.

Rather start on a 29er hardtail on your budget. Much better value for money,and you will improve your riding a lot more. You will upgrade before the 3 year period.Fact. we all do. Have a look at Momsen. Great range of hardtails,and if you are still hell-bend on a dual-susser, look at the classifieds.

You can import a 29er full suspension carbon frame from China for very little money( about 6 000) and use the change to buy the rest of the components locally.. They will also put a complete bike together for you, but you pay import duty on complete bicycles. No import duty on bicyclparts..

I have been riding 1 of their 26 inch bikes since april 2011- very solid.

The frame below is the new 2013 29er.

2013-29" dual suspension MTB Frameset

Model: YS-FM069

frame/seat clamp/headset

W/T 1 1/8"-1 1/5" Head Tube

W/T BSA/BB30 system available

W/O Sticker & Painting

size available in 15/17/19/21"

Weight:1950±45g

post-34404-0-18693800-1357703124_thumb.jpg

post-34404-0-21452300-1357703344_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johnny Bravo

0% duties on parts but clearance fees apply. 15% on full bikes. Plus VAT.

45% duties mentioned earlier is on kit and gear.

Edited by Ryanpmb

You can import a 29er full suspension carbon frame from China for very little money( about 6 000) and use the change to buy the rest of the components locally.. They will also put a complete bike together for you, but you pay import duty on complete bicycles. No import duty on bicyclparts..

I went down this route. I wasn't able to come close to your R6,000 after it got delivered in South Africa. There is the cost of the frame, the freight and then clearance and VAT in SA. And the wait. Then I was concerned about warranty and having to return it to China if something broke.

The costs keep adding up, my bank add a bit too for paying my money out in UD$, even paypal costs extra when dealing with China.

Instead I bought the same frame when I saw it advertised on the hub, got it immediately, I have a lifetime 5 day exchange warranty and I paid almost exactly what I would have had I brought it in myself and waited 2 or 3 months.

This is the ad: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/44392-29er-dual-suspension-carbon-frames/

I have been riding for 4 months now and I'm very happy.

Um no there aren't... Normally VAT and a clearance fee AFAIK..

Correcto.

My bad, mixed up the duties. Post corrected.

Parts 0% duties

Bikes 15% duties

Kit/ gear 45% duties

Clearance fees and VAT apply.