Tyre sealant: check regularly ~4months

Cassie

While I'm in this sharing mood...

The past holiday was time for some bike maintenance that I've been putting off for a while: topping up my tubeless sealant.

so I took the tyre off and found very litte sealant left as well as this little surprise...

post-5709-0-40114500-1357674645_thumb.jpg

guess it could have been avoided IF i did a regular check & top up on the sealant....but all was going so well...out of sight out of mind as they say.

New play ball for the dog,I think!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Stan's in my tyer's but the back tyer goes flat after a couple of rides. I have replaced the valve twice and it still goes flat. What is the problem? Please help

Tyre choice, & a bit of luck ...if I have to guess....this new bike of mine have 2 x Swalbe Racing Ralphs EVO's on...from one seal up firts try....back tyre...???

Fork me George...it took about 3 weeks of constant refilling & inflating etc etc. to get it to seal up...now there is no problem. And I could never find a leak place...

No, never ever used a bomb....it sealed so well i never had to top up or re-inflate fro about 1 year!! Guess the sealant just started drying up after a while and coagulated onto itsself.

The tape worm stuff was the sealant on the rim-tyre edge..shows you how good the stuff actually works...I had to pull it all off the rim edge...

Was that stans sealant?

Stans is the best.... had lots of issues with 3 other sealant brands but niks with Stans.

Buy in the big bottles , not single tyre bottles though becuase its damn expensive

Edited by Skylark

It is important to regularly check, so says he who hasn't checked his Titus's tyres in well over 6 months.blush.png

I entered a 70k race on my Singlespeed up in the Hazyview/Sabie area a couple of years ago and also hadn't checked the sealant for months. I got a puncture at around the 37k mark and I couldn't understand why the hole wouldn't seal. I rode back to the start/finish area at the 40km mark, took the tyre off the rim and discovered, there wasn't any sealant at all.

I have Stan's in my tyer's but the back tyer goes flat after a couple of rides. I have replaced the valve twice and it still goes flat. What is the problem? Please help

Pump it hard and check the tyre in the pool to see where it leaks, make sure the sealant gets to that spot. Sometimes it's just at an odd place that the sealant doesn't reach during 'normal riding' - just my humble 2c worth ...

Could be a poor seal between the tyre and the rim, you might have too little sealant to seal the tyre/rim, there could be a few reasons.

In my case, I have a Conti MK Protection front and a non-protection (couldn't get one at the time) X-King at the back... there is a noticeable difference between the air-holding capabilities between the two... the non-protection one, since it's thinner, loses air about twice as fast as my front tyre.

When I first had the sealant added, the tyres would leak air, but I'd just turn the tyres slowly and let the sealant seal the holes in the tyres (call it a manufacturer's defect if you will), thereafter my air-loss was waaaaaay less. Strangely, riding would not do this, I had to do it manually.

Edited by Bianchi

It is important to regularly check, so says he who hasn't checked his Titus's tyres in well over 6 months.blush.png

I entered a 70k race on my Singlespeed up in the Hazyview/Sabie area a couple of years ago and also hadn't checked the sealant for months. I got a puncture at around the 37k mark and I couldn't understand why the hole wouldn't seal. I rode back to the start/finish area at the 40km mark, took the tyre off the rim and discovered, there wasn't any sealant at all.

Yip had the same issue here, didn't top up for about 8 months(luigat) and on one specific ride at VG the same happened to me, remembered I always carry a small bottle of stans with me....remove core, dump the stans and inflate...happy days.

While we on the topic of sealants, not impressed with Joe's, thought I will try something new(don't know why I just didn't stick with stans...tried and tested). It didn't seal a small puncture at breedts this weekend, just kept on pouring out, had to plug it after a while.

Pump it hard and check the tyre in the pool to see where it leaks, make sure the sealant gets to that spot. Sometimes it's just at an odd place that the sealant doesn't reach during 'normal riding' - just my humble 2c worth ...

. Thanks will give it a try. Why did I not think of that.

My valve broke over the weekend, and as I pulled the tyre from the rim to insert a tube (only option I had) I also found the sam "rock" in my tyre. There was still looaads of luquid sealin in there though. Can it be that the bomb caused it when I tried to inflate the tyre? I use Stans

I had also been lazy. All eight of our tyres had to be topped up over the holidays after the 1st two punctures did not seal due to lack of sealant.