Licence plate numbers for bikes

Active Monkey

Was looking at more @&&&@ bag roadies skip a traffic light and it got me thinking..

We need to identify and shame and possibly fine these types of people?

But we have no way of identification. It should be law to have some sort of registration and mini license plate on a bicycle.

That kills 2 birds...

1 we can identify and fine people who break the law and

2 we can immediately spot a stolen bike or even match a owner to a license plate?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1.Had a Tjop this morning skipping a stop give him a piece of my mind but yes there must be something done cyclists is to blame we do as we like

I was thinking about this exact thing yesterday

It's a great idea and it will solve a lot of problems but sadly it will be too much administration for our Government. Or they will start charging ridiculous prices to nail the recreational cyclist

Would be great if It could be run by say Pedal power or think bike then it would possibly work

When I was young all bikes had to be licensed annually.

It was a function of each municipality.

Not worth the effort.

If an oke steals a bike he will take off the disc

Anyway we want to license the rider not the bike

How would you enforce point 1, you need a camera shot as proof not a "i saw"

Point 2 is very easy to navigate around, plenty of cars riding round with illegal plates, whats to stop me from making one up and fitting it to my bike. Who is going to stop me to verify that the number displayed is indeed mine, only the authorities can not joe public.

Back in the days when I was a kid we had to buy little steel discs at the local municipality before you could ride on the road which was fastened to your seat post and was valid for a year. There was only basic particulars like dates, and "bicycle license" but it was more an income gathering mechanism than anything else, today it would not be difficult to have your name and contact details etc on the disc and linked to a registrar etc - actually in some states in the USA they already do so, New York been one, its illegal and you will get fined if you ride on the road without a bicycle license.

.......but again it needs policing to be effective, I dont think we have the will to do so here unfortunately.

And the bloke out in the sticks, far away from a licensing department / municipal office? How do you propose they license that?

Easier to get out of the sticks with a motor car to renew a disk than with a bicycle!

Haha! I actually found the receipt for my bicycle licence, circa 1974, the other day when moving my Mom's stuff. 50 cents, a bloody fortune in those days, especially for a 10-year old. I'll have to dig it out and post it sometime.

i think it will be a great idea. Wonder if they will they make the plates in carbon.wacko.png

laugh.png - Doubt it, thin aluminium,like a dog tag. Details were sort of embossed on the tag by those swipe machines over a plate.

And the bloke out in the sticks, far away from a licensing department / municipal office? How do you propose they license that?

Easier to get out of the sticks with a motor car to renew a disk than with a bicycle!

I dont think that would be an issue. It need not be done by a municipal office, like car licenses, a post office could do it very easily.

Haha! I actually found the receipt for my bicycle licence, circa 1974, the other day when moving my Mom's stuff. 50 cents, a bloody fortune in those days, especially for a 10-year old. I'll have to dig it out and post it sometime.

I earned 50 Cents a day in the army in 1971

Why a number plate? Why not just force cyclists to wear a number on their shirts like we do at races? It's highly effective, just ask the guys who get letters from the PPA for peeing in public at races.

But really guys, why no worry about what you do and stop being so parraat (sp. Help me here cat girl) worrying about what others are doing UNLESS they endanger you? Yesterday our group was riding through Fish Hoek, our light turned green and we went, some ******** going the other way gave us a disgusting display of the verbals and what criminals we were for not obeying the law. His light was red and he just assumed ours was too. Idiot.