Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

Methinks Bibi has a vested interest in KHS hence the Trance knocking comment. As for your Trance out dropping my Reign - how on earth do you test that? With a properly set up rear shock, the Reign is just fine and has 10mm more suspension to play with. Perhaps its not just journos who sprout their opinions..... :whistling:

I sure do;) ....

as I did in my Reign X1 2010 and various KHS models and now even more so on my PYGA OneTen29 and OneTwenty650. The Pascoe will be next :clap: . Strictly speaking it is a bit hard to compare the Reign X to 650B & 29er Trail to Enduro rigs.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well based on geometry (2014 Trance vs 2011 Reign).

Trance head angle is slacker by 0.5 deg (67deg vs 67.5), and yes, half a degree does make a difference.

Trance wheelbase is 23mm longer (1176mm vs 1153mm on a large frame).

Trance has a 4.8mm longer top tube (619.8mm vs 615.0mm)

all this translates into stability.

But besides all that... Capt Mayhem hit the nail on the head...

Progession...

The Trances and Reigns of yesteryear were notorious for blowing through the travel too easily. This wasn't a linkage design issue, but more a shock pairing issue. The Fox Air shocks with high volume cans weren't firming up near the end of the stroke like they should. By simply reducing the volume of the boost chamber with a shim (fairly common practice. I know Noli and Peach have done this before) the stroke would become more progressive near the end and there would be less bottoming out.

The entry level 2014 Trance comes with a regular volume Fox shock.

So there are some factors that could contribute to Noli's observation.

but besides all that... it's 650B bru! Don't you know that's the new best thing ;) :lol:

Hey, why nor ride XFusion instead :thumbup:

Not sure about "boost chamber" there patches - its a boost valve - look it up. The air volume reducers that Fox sells reduce the aircan volume for a more progressive spring rate. Many bikes benefit from this. In 2012, the Reign 1 came with RS shock and fork not fox anyway, so a 2011 Reign is different as is the 2013 with Fox CTD shocks.

I think the geo changes you are talking about are probably an improvement - they are certainly the trend these days, but, there are plenty of shorter TT bikes still being made. There is no perfect geo - my short TT Reign is a bit cramped with a 50 mm stem but can manage long climb filled rides (I did 50 a km/ 2000 m this weekend) and handle really well on the descents and in the air....

6 of one 1/2 of 12

Not sure about "boost chamber" there patches - its a boost valve - look it up. The air volume reducers that Fox sells reduce the aircan volume for a more progressive spring rate. Many bikes benefit from this. In 2012, the Reign 1 came with RS shock and fork not fox anyway, so a 2011 Reign is different as is the 2013 with Fox CTD shocks.

I think the geo changes you are talking about are probably an improvement - they are certainly the trend these days, but, there are plenty of shorter TT bikes still being made. There is no perfect geo - my short TT Reign is a bit cramped with a 50 mm stem but can manage long climb filled rides (I did 50 a km/ 2000 m this weekend) and handle really well on the descents and in the air....

6 of one 1/2 of 12

"Boost chamber" was probably the incorrect term. But I was referring to the outter chamber that can be found on the high volume cans.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/shocks-suspension/453077d1241228223-anyone-running-high-volume-air-can-their-fox-rp23-_mg_1050-copy.jpg

(Here's an RP23 being shimmed).

Anyway, point being that many Reign models (2010 - 2012) used high volume cans and this resulted in riders blowing through the travel far too easily.

So back to the original statement by Nolipoli, it is highly possible that his 2014 Trance handles drops better than his previous Reigns.

At the end of the day it's about what the rider feels most comfortable with.

Edited by patches

I messed around on my wifes 2012 Reign 1 which had the Rockshox suspension, and I have to admit that it was much better on the drops than my Fox equipped 2011 model (otherwise identical suspension geo).

That said, the RS suspension robbed her bike of the liveliness in the mid to upper ranges of the stroke, making the bike feel a little as if it was always riding on grass that hadn't been cut for a week - basically a little muted, and lacking in immediacy of acceleration.

The short of it was that the bike always felt heavier to my wife when she was pedalling, and she ultimately sold it and bought a 2012 Trance X1W instead.

edit: the 2012 Trance X1W is no lighter than the 2012 Reign 1, but it does feel faster. 125mm of Fox suspension?

Edited by nolipoli

Ahhh.

Now I know why you're pro KHS. Aren't the SA distributors for KHS also the distributors for XFUSION....????

Abit bias ... Maybe? Vested interest =most probably.

No

The company the lost the privilege of distributing KHS and XFusion suspension is De Wet Sports.

Two new companies have taken over KHS and XFusion respectively.

There is a "vested interest" in anything one spends hard earned cash on.

So if I were currently a biased rider then it would be a major PYGA one;) and most definitely XFusion :clap:

"Boost chamber" was probably the incorrect term. But I was referring to the outter chamber that can be found on the high volume cans.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/shocks-suspension/453077d1241228223-anyone-running-high-volume-air-can-their-fox-rp23-_mg_1050-copy.jpg

(Here's an RP23 being shimmed).

Anyway, point being that many Reign models (2010 - 2012) used high volume cans and this resulted in riders blowing through the travel far too easily.

So back to the original statement by Nolipoli, it is highly possible that his 2014 Trance handles drops better than his previous Reigns.

At the end of the day it's about what the rider feels most comfortable with.

Aha - we are talking about the same thing then - your shim is reducing the aircan volume in the same way the Fox plastic reducers do on the shocks with one piece cans I think?

Orange Strange 29er

http://www.mbr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1_DSC8379.jpg

They say: “Big wheel piste-basher”

Need to Know

• Long travel 29er concept
  • 160mm travel
  • Built to take on the toughest alpine tracks

What began with a cup of strong Yorkshire tea, and a discussion about the boundaries of travel for 29ers, ended up with the bike you see here; the Strange 29. Never one to shy away from an experiment, Orange’s small size and production facilities make it well-placed to play around with ideas such as this. Not only can these mules be used for field-testing, but they can also be used to gauge interest before committing to full-scale production.

The idea for this Strange 29er really caught the imagination of Orange’s designer, Steve Wade. Well-known as an alpine shredder, Steve has recently gone through the conversion from 29er sceptic to dedicated big-wheel believer, and so the challenge of creating this prototype quickly became a personal crusade.

One of the bike’s most obvious features is the pierced down tube. It’s a development of an idea used on the 322 downhill bike to alter the angle of the shock and add progression to the suspension. For the Strange 29, Orange figured out a way to simplify manufacture and cut costs without affecting function; a development that could help make the bike viable for production.

With a 65º head angle, 1,209mm wheelbase and 30mm bottom bracket drop, the Strange 29 is begging to be unleashed down the nearest downhill track. The 35lb weight means it could do with a chairlift to get to the top, but even if we have to pedal it, we’re still going to be first in the queue to have a go.

Read more at http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/hottest-bikes-of-2014-orange-strange-29er/#gC6AlleyVFlC6I63.99

YT Capra - 170mm rear travel carbon 650b.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2mg9mjn.jpg

:drool: I really love that wheelset! If the rand didnt go for a ball I could have seen a set coming my way....