[Event] Sabie Experience

simhen

Event Name: Sabie Experience
When: 13 December 2013 - 16 December 2013
Where: Sabie, Mpumulanga
Category: MTB

Those of you who were fortunate enough to participate in the December 2012 SabieX Team Lite and SoloX can only attest to a fantastic, fun-filled event.

Everyone was able to get a taste of prime mountain-biking over sublime trails in great weather conditions, in MTB heaven with endless single tracks.

Great Goody Bags, including free clothing and caps, and free lunches each day, a well organised, great family event to round off your year!

The Miway TV programme during March 2013 shows it all, from the "Woosies" who chickened out at the Eagle Run on the Prologue, to the "Race Snakes" and single speed freaks who ate up the mountains with relish. Well done to you all! You are all heroes in our eyes and the organising team enjoyed it as much as you did.

Formats

TEAM LITE EVENT (two days racing of 30km/ 45km - a total of 75km) - teams of two riders ONLY!

Open Men Teams A team of two male riders of any age 15 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

Open Women Teams A team of two female riders of any age 15 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

Open Mixed Teams A team of one male and one female rider 15 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

Family Team A team of two riders of any gender having the same surname, of any age 15 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

TEAM WANNABE EVENT: (three days racing of 30km/ 45km/60km - a total of 135km) - teams of two riders ONLY!

PERMISSION MAY BE GRANTED TO RIDERS OF 15/16 YEARS UPON SUBMISSION OF A WRITTEN MOTIVATED REQUEST DEPENDING ON ABILITY

All team categories below will be determined based on the age of the youngest team Member:

Open Men Teams A team of two male riders of any age 17 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

Open Women Teams A team of two female riders of any age 17 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

Open Mixed Teams A team of one male and one female rider 17 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

Veteran Teams A team of two riders of any gender, of which the youngest member is between 40 and 49 years of age as at 31 December 2013.

Masters Teams A team of two riders of any gender, with both members 50 years of age and older as at 31 December 2013.

Tandem Teams A team of two riders of any gender, 17 years or older as at 31 December 2013, riding a Tandem mountain bike.

SABIE SOLOX EVENT: (four days racing - 30km/45km/60km/65km - a total of 200km) - Individuals ONLY!

Senior Men Male riders of 19 to 29 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

Senior Women Female riders of 19 to 29 years or older as at 31 December 2013.

Sub Veteran Men Male riders between 30 and 39 years of age at 31 December 2013.

Sub Veteran Women Female riders between 30 and 39 years of age at 31 December 2013.

Veteran Men Male riders between 40 and 49 years of age at 31 December 2013.

Veteran Women Female riders 40 years or older at 31 December 2013.

Master Men Male riders 50 years or older at 31 December 2013.

Single Speed Riders of any age 19 years or older as at 31 December 2013 riding a mountain bike with a single gear ratio.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic race! Did it end 2012 and enjoyed every single mile of it! Climbs are long and tough, but there is more than enough downhilling and properly nice single track to make any grown man weep! Bit of a gamble with the weather, I think we were a bit lucky with the weather - only had one proper shower one afternoon...

I broke my riding buddy there last year ... he didn't get back on a bike for 4 months. Maybe I should ask him if he wants to go again?

• 2 weeks later...

Team Wannabe costs (early bird price) works out at R500 per rider per day. Is this race & goody bag worth R500 per day?

What sort of climbing (total ascent) does one do in the 30km, 40km & 60km respectively?

Is Merrypebbles a good option for camping during the event?

Team Wannabe costs (early bird price) works out at R500 per rider per day. Is this race & goody bag worth R500 per day?

What sort of climbing (total ascent) does one do in the 30km, 40km & 60km respectively?

Is Merrypebbles a good option for camping during the event?

Worth it - got Columbia gear last year & riding was awesome. I'll post routes from last year tomorrow. Day 1 is a TT. Day 2 around 40km, days 3 & 4 approx 65km.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

How fit do you have to be to do the 4 day race? I have done route 66 2 day event and did not struggle to much

How fit do you have to be to do the 4 day race? I have done route 66 2 day event and did not struggle to much

First two days are easy, day 3 looks a bit easier than last year but still a toughie certainly tougher than Route 66. Day 4 with the Mamba switchbacks is one bitch of day. I'm doing it on about 7hours per week training wise and expect day 3 & 4 to take me around 5 hours apiece. That should beat about 40% of the field but the key to this race is your ability to climb if you haven't done enough hills you're in for a tough four days.

I broke my riding buddy there last year ... he didn't get back on a bike for 4 months. Maybe I should ask him if he wants to go again?

Just received two solo entries from guys that cannot go anymore. How's that for excitement! See you all there (and the other entry is already with a mate of mine, before you ask)

Is the Sunday stage (Madiba's funeral) still on ? I see that all sporting events on Sunday have to be cancelled . Via Cycling SA .

Just received two solo entries from guys that cannot go anymore. How's that for excitement! See you all there (and the other entry is already with a mate of mine, before you ask)

See you there, hope the weather improves, otherwise we are going to have a wet, muddy ride, which I guess is also fun.....

Is the Sunday stage (Madiba's funeral) still on ? I see that all sporting events on Sunday have to be cancelled . Via Cycling SA .

Where do you see that?