[Event] Sabie Experience

simhen

It would have been nice for them to offer something j think. The prize money wasn't carried over I don't think so bit annoyed about that. I know it wasn't their fault but still.. I loved the prologue. Wish there'd been more of the same on days 2 and 3. Day 2 really lacked singletrack but day 3 was good. Views amazing and we were so lucky with the weather! I'd go again for sure

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what's great about sport there is always next year! You can get your revenge on the stomach bug sooner if you want, by doing the Sabie Classic in Feb, this is one of the tougher races around. In fact I believe that the Sabie Classic marathon is almost on par with Sani Day 2.

Entered for Sabie Marathon & Half (on the Sunday)... hopefully not going to regret it :-)

Entered for Sabie Marathon & Half (on the Sunday)... hopefully not going to regret it :-)

Def. wont, one of, if not the most awesome mtb event in the country.

Here's my 2 cents on the funeral vs. riding....

I'm your AVG weekend warrier (not even) - probably get to do +-10 races a year (if I'm lucky) - mostly half marathons. I maybe get on my bike 20 times a year! Orignally my partner and I entered for team lite (as that's what I thought was within my fitness level). Then we trained very hard during November and by end of November I felt fit enought to tackle 3 days. Yip, so (at a cost of R1,500) we upgraded to Team Wannabe (3 days). And as it turned out, I'm EXTREMELY dissappointed as I was ready for this. We felt great after the two days (2:14 and 3:14 respectively) - we would have managed 3 days (not with a smile, but finished) - and pushed our boudaries (becoming better at the sport we love). I don't believe for ONE minute that Madiba would have cancelled this event (stage) for his funeral. He would have loved for us to ride in his name / honor! I'm very very dissapointed for not having the choice to finish / ride stage 3.

I think SASCOC should cary the cost for the decision they made... R1,500 for me & partner down the drain. I have much respect for Madiba & loved the man and what he stood for and what he has done for us AND I believe he is looking down on this decision and he is AS disappointed as me for us not riding. SASCOC, you made a bad decision on behalf of the people you service... goverment style!!! Sorry if I upset some people with this post, but this is my opinion and in the country of freedom (thanks Madiba) one is allowed your opinion!

ACM well put.

It's a nice way from SASCOC to make people hate them, Mandela and the Sabie X ... if even just a little.

And a small add - everyone that went to the race knew about the funeral, and not a single one (I checked) asked the race office to NOT ride on Sunday due to this. Not one. So, everyone that went to Sabie wanted to race, not fart around in town or lounge in the pool or sit at the BnB watching reruns on Dstv. They already made the choice.

And a small add - everyone that went to the race knew about the funeral, and not a single one (I checked) asked the race office to NOT ride on Sunday due to this. Not one. So, everyone that went to Sabie wanted to race, not fart around in town or lounge in the pool or sit at the BnB watching reruns on Dstv. They already made the choice.

Fully agree.... freedom (of choice)... everything Madiba stood for was taken away from 600+ riders. How's that for celibrating his life :-(

No it didn't. I took my 10yr old son for a ride from merry pebbles to/over the floating bridge and to the bullrun (he did the chicken run part). Was good experience for him :-)

Fully agree.... freedom (of choice)... everything Madiba stood for was taken away from 600+ riders. How's that for celibrating his life :-(

So 600+ riders could have gone for a ride, lots of options there. Just it wasn't to be an organised race.

So 600+ riders could have gone for a ride, lots of options there. Just it wasn't to be an organised race.

True; but if you read my original post it puts it more in perspective (a fun ride vs. stage 3 of an event one trained for, look forward to all year long, etc. etc.)... but let me stop sulking about it and get back on the bike :-) training...

It's just not the same thing at all! We went for a ride but it in no way compared to riding a stage of a race. I was surprised how few people rode given they'd all travelled up for it.

Okay, I get that we were all disappointed that the third stage was cancelled and some of us are annoyed at our freedom of choice being denied us. Let's for arguments sake say that Sascoc and the organisers had left us, the rider, with the choice on whether to race or not. Now bearing in mind that freedom of choice comes with a concomitant obligation to use this hard won freedom wisely.

The options are clear, race / don't race, but the consequences are not that clear and I'll give my take on what I think they could be...

Sascoc - well they depend on Government for the majority of their funding and the same Government had declared a period of national mourning. In fact if you observed what was happening on all the SABC channels is that they had suspended their normal programmes and dedicated their broadcasts to Madiba's legacy. I'm not sure if they, Sascoc, were given a clear directive from Government or whether they simply went with the flow by cancelling all sporting events. It is important to note that all PSL games during the 10 days of mourning were postponed and we still held 2 days of racing during the same period. To expect that Sascoc will go against the will or maybe just the mood of Government and put their funding at risk for the sake of one stage of a race doesn't make sense to me. But what would you have done?

Cycling SA - I'm not sure that they had any choice as they have to abide by the rules of Sascoc and seeing that they are trying to elevate the status of Cycling within Sascoc I can see why they made this choice. Of course it could be argued that they should have lobbied for the stage to be held but that sort of discussion takes strong leadership and I'm not sure if I see that in Cycling SA. But if you were leading Cycling in SA what would you have done?

Sabie X organisers - they were really left with no choice as the Sascoc directive was clear and to expect the organisers to defy this directive could mean that this race is no longer sanctioned which could mean no sponsors and this race could be lost to us forever. Again what would you have done?

The Sponsors Spar - most of the retailers were closed on the day of the funeral and I guess that they were all responding to the feelings of their customers and staff. If our expectations are that they would sacrifice Sunday's income but lose all the goodwill by continuing with the race I think thiese expectations are void of any understanding of how business works. Given that these races can only be held if there are sponsors what would you have done?

Government - I think government handled this poorly, as our elected leaders they are expected to lead and reflect the will of the people. Much of what I have said in this post is my assessment of what I think the will and mood of the people were regarding Sunday. For example they did not give any clear directive on what employers were expected to do on the day of the memorial, give the day off or allow people watch on TV. To ask business to make these sorts of calls is problematic in that business have different decision making parameters and the mood of the people is very low on that list. But it could've been a huge issue if it went wrong on the day. Fortunately, thanks to Madiba, we can get the opportunity to make our own decision at the ballot box next year.

We have every right to be disappointed about the stage being cancelled and I feel for those that could not do the consolation ride on Monday. But I guess I am more saddened by the loss of an icon than not riding on Sunday.

Okay, I get that we were all disappointed that the third stage was cancelled and some of us are annoyed at our freedom of choice being denied us. Let's for arguments sake say that Sascoc and the organisers had left us, the rider, with the choice on whether to race or not. Now bearing in mind that freedom of choice comes with a concomitant obligation to use this hard won freedom wisely.

The options are clear, race / don't race, but the consequences are not that clear and I'll give my take on what I think they could be...

Sascoc - well they depend on Government for the majority of their funding and the same Government had declared a period of national mourning. In fact if you observed what was happening on all the SABC channels is that they had suspended their normal programmes and dedicated their broadcasts to Madiba's legacy. I'm not sure if they, Sascoc, were given a clear directive from Government or whether they simply went with the flow by cancelling all sporting events. It is important to note that all PSL games during the 10 days of mourning were postponed and we still held 2 days of racing during the same period. To expect that Sascoc will go against the will or maybe just the mood of Government and put their funding at risk for the sake of one stage of a race doesn't make sense to me. But what would you have done?

Cycling SA - I'm not sure that they had any choice as they have to abide by the rules of Sascoc and seeing that they are trying to elevate the status of Cycling within Sascoc I can see why they made this choice. Of course it could be argued that they should have lobbied for the stage to be held but that sort of discussion takes strong leadership and I'm not sure if I see that in Cycling SA. But if you were leading Cycling in SA what would you have done?

Sabie X organisers - they were really left with no choice as the Sascoc directive was clear and to expect the organisers to defy this directive could mean that this race is no longer sanctioned which could mean no sponsors and this race could be lost to us forever. Again what would you have done?

The Sponsors Spar - most of the retailers were closed on the day of the funeral and I guess that they were all responding to the feelings of their customers and staff. If our expectations are that they would sacrifice Sunday's income but lose all the goodwill by continuing with the race I think thiese expectations are void of any understanding of how business works. Given that these races can only be held if there are sponsors what would you have done?

Government - I think government handled this poorly, as our elected leaders they are expected to lead and reflect the will of the people. Much of what I have said in this post is my assessment of what I think the will and mood of the people were regarding Sunday. For example they did not give any clear directive on what employers were expected to do on the day of the memorial, give the day off or allow people watch on TV. To ask business to make these sorts of calls is problematic in that business have different decision making parameters and the mood of the people is very low on that list. But it could've been a huge issue if it went wrong on the day. Fortunately, thanks to Madiba, we can get the opportunity to make our own decision at the ballot box next year.

We have every right to be disappointed about the stage being cancelled and I feel for those that could not do the consolation ride on Monday. But I guess I am more saddened by the loss of an icon than not riding on Sunday.

You make some very good arguments River Rat - and I guess ultimately you're right; loss of 1 stage vs. loosing Madiba doesn't compare!! We'll go back in 2014 :thumbup: