Power Calculator

Jason

Heres a nice little power calculator. You can calculate the power you need to push when going up or on flat etc. You can fill in your bike weight, tubbies etc.

For example: A rider weighing 72kg going up Hekpoort, a 2.7km climb with 187m elevation at a speed of 25kph he will need to push 477W Dead.

http://www.2peak.com/tools/powercalculator.php

Would you say this is accurate bruce? Or just a more or less figure?

Jason2008-01-30 07:46:35

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colonel

This cant be right cause it means I pushed out power on Sundays race. Impossible.

Yup... But it's the power you will need to maintain while going up at 25kph that's a b*tch... I think that would be round about 7 - 8 minutes Dead

Think Lance averaged 23.5kph in the 2004 TDF up Alp d Huez, 15km's with 1100m ascent. According to the calculator he was pushing 442W for 39m 45s DeadDeadDead 

And that's without doping !! Big%20smileClapWink

Jason2008-01-31 01:24:13

I checked it against wat I did in January up koewyns kloof' date=' spot on.[/quote'] Koewynspas in Graskop? If so I think the distance is 8km's? What's the specs of the climb? Ascent etc? I don't have my polar sw at the moment so I can't check.

I checked it against wat I did in January up koewyns kloof' date=' spot on.[/quote']

was it you Dodging traffic and bad roads on Zambezi this morning.  You doing your hill intervals aggain

How important is it to know what power you push out ?
It's important to know because it's an accurate measure of the work you are doing or pushing through to the pedals.

Not a power guru but trying to learn. BikeMax or bruce might have a more accurate answer for you or they may just tell you to try the search function WinkLOL.

I need to seriously get a PT for my racing wheels Cry

I checked it against wat I did in January up koewyns kloof' date=' spot on.[/quote']

Its spelt Kowyn's and riding up in ur big blade darnt count, dont give away ur secrets now LOL

was it you Dodging traffic and bad roads on Zambezi this morning.  You doing your hill intervals aggain

Yip was me taking a relaxing ride, intervals was on tuesday.

Yip' date=' the one in graskop, 6.8% for 7.6km depending where you start and end.

[/quote'] Well lets just say from the stop street at the bottom all the way to top where you roll over... But that sounds about right! Thanks!

Hmm...  I had a look at it and it says if I get myself a 300g lighter bike frame it will only make 1 watt less t output o do the same speed as what i would normally do on a training ride.

Kinda expected a bigger difference.

Heres a nice little power calculator. You can calculate the power you need to push when going up or on flat etc. You can fill in your bike weight' date=' tubbies etc.

For example: A rider weighing 72kg going up Hekpoort, a 2.7km climb with 187m elevation at a speed of 25kph he will need to push 477W Dead.

http://www.2peak.com/tools/powercalculator.php

Would you say this is accurate bruce? Or just a more or less figure?

[/quote']

Seems consistent with my power calculator on sporttracks. I used pompstasie as a measurement.

distance = 3.34km, climb = 266, time = 12.19, I weigh 68kg, bike = 8.5kg.

sporttracks shows 322watts, website shows 333watts. sporttracks takes wind and weather into account as well...

either way, its around 4.7w/kg for 12mins... very interesting stuff

Hey... power gurus... how does 4.7w/kg translate?

Do i need to spend more time on the hills and buy those Zipps? Do I sign up with barloworld tomorrow? LOL