Power Calculator

Jason

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey... power gurus... how does 4.7w/kg translate?

Do i need to spend more time on the hills and buy those Zipps? Do I sign up with barloworld tomorrow? LOL

Top vets in the country do about 5w/kg for 60minutes Dead.

euuugh... and elites?

OK, so my 3.1 won't get me anywhere thenLOL

Damn, it sucks when you're fat and weak.  Looks like I'll have to stretch my 5minute wattage to 60 minutes.  EASY!Dead

I don't have any data from elites, Peter can help out here, but I would assume in the region of 5.5w/kg.

OK' date=' so my 3.1 won't get me anywhere thenLOL

Damn, it sucks when you're fat and weak.  Looks like I'll have to stretch my 5minute wattage to 60 minutes.  EASY!Dead
[/quote']

WH - you are not at 3.1 w/kg for 60mins ... (and its good news!)

OK' date=' so my 3.1 won't get me anywhere thenLOL

[/quote']

WH - you are not at 3.1 w/kg for 60mins ... (and its good news!)

Ronelle, this power thing confuses me like nothing!  I really, really like the richness of the data, but sometimes it just goes beyond a solid concept to something quite abstract.  I am still trying to really understand what difference the w/kg makes, other than for comparisson's sake.

Anyway, I'll let you explain this all later to me!  But please, do it SLOOOOOWLYLOL

OK, for instance, I am watching the Tour of Qatar at the moment and I am sure those big guys don't have the highest w/kg stats for 60 minutes, but I am sure the sprinters like Boonen are more interested in max power in the sprint (1 minute and 5 minute maybe?).  That's where I struggle to see the relevance of w/kg.

OK' date=' for instance, I am watching the Tour of Qatar at the moment and I am sure those big guys don't have the highest w/kg stats for 60 minutes, but I am sure the sprinters like Boonen are more interested in max power in the sprint (1 minute and 5 minute maybe?).  That's where I struggle to see the relevance of w/kg.[/quote']

they need to be able to get to the end of the race so w/kg is very relevant even for them. Tom Boones is around the 6w/kg mark...he weighs 80kg

OK' date=' for instance, I am watching the Tour of Qatar at the moment and I am sure those big guys don't have the highest w/kg stats for 60 minutes, but I am sure the sprinters like Boonen are more interested in max power in the sprint (1 minute and 5 minute maybe?).  That's where I struggle to see the relevance of w/kg.[/quote']

On flatter terrain it is all about absolute power - so a big guy like Tom will have a much greater absolute power than a small climber - and only a little more frontal area (wider shoulders) so on this sort of terrain it is all about watts/frontal area. This is why the classics type races are dominated by the big guys. Add to that the ability to sprint and to have preserved enough energy for this and you see why it is a different race requirement.

euuugh... and elites?

The numbers I have would give about 4.8 for top vets and about 5 for decent elites, with the better local pro's getting close to 5.5w/kg at threshold.

euuugh... and elites?

The numbers I have would give about 4.8 for top vets and about 5 for decent elites' date=' with the better local pro's getting close to 5.5w/kg at threshold.
[/quote']

Just my luck reading this the day before worlds view, we are in for a hard weekend.

euuugh... and elites?

The numbers I have would give about 4.8 for top vets and about 5 for decent elites' date=' with the better local pro's getting close to 5.5w/kg at threshold.

[/quote']

Just my luck reading this the day before worlds view, we are in for a hard weekend.

They would have to be on great form though - not just building, so don't worry too much...