Riding on the wrong side of a double road carriage

Quick Peddler

Hi all. I want to start a debate on the safety of riding on the right side of a double road, those roads with a grass verge in between. It is always suggested to runners to run facing oncoming traffic, why not cyclists as well. Here are some reasons why I believe it might be safer.

You can at least see what oncoming traffic is up to. Riding in the conventional way is riding blind because you cannot take evasive action if danger is coming from the rear.

There is no difference in the speed of a car from the front or from the rear. At least if are you riding facing traffic you have some options.

I have tried this a few times and whilst other cyclists look at you as if you are crazy, you are at least to a degree in charge as you can take some evasive actions. Riding into the adjacent field and having an almighty fall is better than been wiped out at 120 kph from behind.

I do not suggest this is done on any single carriage roads.

What are your views on this?

I think it's not so smart. I see the positives in the argument, but unfortunately it is illegal. If you want to be treated like a vehicle on the road, abide the roads laws. Yes, it's dangerous, but there have been studies conducted where they found traffic to ride closer to riders on the wrong side. It becomes a driver "assumption" that the situation is less dangerous as you can see each other, therefore they are less likely to give you the space you require.

Of course, intersections are a nightmare as well!

Not only this, but all cyclists need to actively make vehicles SEE them by being on the road. The more we try to cater for bad driving, the more prevalent it will become.

My 15 cents

Guest Kalahari ou

I do understand what you are saying and agree that in some situations it might be true. The problem is where do you draw the line. When is it right/wrong....

And in the event of an accident the driver will basically be held unresponsive

a pedestrian actually has more probability of escaping an accident, a cyclist doesn't. Velocity vectors dont lie. Also, when they get stupid going the wrong way, they get more stupid with those lights, blinding motorists who supposed to stay in the left lane, right lane for overtaking. But no, now motorists must move to the right just to make way for the roadie in teh wrong with a lazer upfront. the idiocy is compounding by the pedal stroke.

and that 1.5m rule? does it still apply that you are doing the wrong thing going in the wrong direction?

also, who has right of way between two cyclists going in opposite directions on the same portion of verge? There's a thread about such stupidity around somewhere. It's as silly as the roadie in the morning along teh cycle lane that refuses to ride on the dedicated cycle lane, rides in the road instead, and going against traffic. I mean seriously, are you (not the OP) that important whoever you are? yikes.

Edited by Dr Snuggles

Evasive action is a good idea. I think in reality there's not enough time/control.

Accidents / incidents happen in a blink of an eye.

i come across a cyclist who does that on a regular occasion...everytime i go past him i get the hebee jeebies and tend to give him a big berth (and therefore occupy some of the next lane). from a motorist point of view it is not lekker, so therefore logic says it is not the right thing to do

I mainly ride off road or on gravel roads that have the minimum if any vehicles traveling on them but there is a section of road I also do as the OP said for the same reasons but it is double lanes in both directions but only one side has a big yellow lane as well. Keeping as far right as possible vehicles have more or less a 1m or more gap from me. This is a busy section less than 1km long but the problem I have is that the other side has two lanes but no yellow lane to speak of. It is a section exiting and entering town. On my way out I ride with traffic in the correct direction but on my way in I find it much safer to ride on the wrong side on this section as many people tend to speed on the lanes where there is no yellow lane as it is supposed to be a 60km/h zone but traffic is coming from a 100km/h zone. Riding in the wrong direction people also don't tend to speed as they are coming from a 60km/h zone. It is illegal yes but my life is worth more than a traffic fine :ph34r:

Some good responses, thank you. Remember I am referring to those roads (and only those) where there are emmergency lanes demarcated with a yellow line. Normally these emmergency lanes are about a meter and a half wide. I am not suggesting riding facing oncoming traffic on roads without that emmergency lane. So nobody has to swerve away from me. I understand the legal implications as in the event of an accident, they will say I was on the wrong side even though I was riding in the emmergency lane.

I we weren't so concerned about style factors and weight, review mirrors would be great.

I always do it if I can I feel much safer .how many cyclists get taken out from behind .just if you do ride facing oncoming traffic just keep as far out the way as possible and keep your eyes open.

If there isn't much oncoming traffic I don't see a problem. I did that a lot into Randburg because not much went from randburg to krugersdorp(Ghost town)