Your Enduro ride

RockCoach

Yeah, don't go look at his personal collection of bikes. I made that mistake and now my wallet is going to feel the hurt...

Haha. What did he sell you? The fast eddie or the carbine...

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks for your reply, However, from the text, it appears that the event dictates what you " call " your bike. The bike could be an XC on day one and a Enduro on day two ?

Typically Enduro/All-mountain bikes have longer travel (140-160mm) than XC bikes (+-100mm). They are meant pedalled uphill relatively efficiently (not as well as an XC machine) but also handle downhill very well (well not as well as a true Downhill machine but starting to get there).

Another way to look at it is that it's not a dedicated XC or DH machine but has it's sweet spot somewhere in between but can be ridden almost at either extreme (Jared Graves being an example, 3rd in the DH World Cup on his Enduro bike).

In an SA context a trail bike 120mm to 140mm should be sufficient for the courses available to us.

In essence Enduro is a competitive version of Trail and/or All Mountain riding (don't focus too much on labels), i.e. chill out and enjoy yourself with your mates on the climb/liaison, put your game face on and have fun on the timed stages (mostly downhill, but can also have some short sharp climbs in it)

Many thanks for your reply, However, from the text, it appears that the event dictates what you " call " your bike. The bike could be an XC on day one and a Enduro on day two ?
Typically Enduro/All-mountain bikes have longer travel (140-160mm) than XC bikes (+-100mm). They are meant pedalled uphill relatively efficiently (not as well as an XC machine) but also handle downhill very well (well not as well as a true Downhill machine but starting to get there). Another way to look at it is that it's not a dedicated XC or DH machine but has it's sweet spot somewhere in between but can be ridden almost at either extreme (Jared Graves being an example, 3rd in the DH World Cup on his Enduro bike). In an SA context a trail bike 120mm to 140mm should be sufficient for the courses available to us. In essence Enduro is a competitive version of Trail and/or All Mountain riding (don't focus too much on labels), i.e. chill out and enjoy yourself with your mates on the climb/liaison, put your game face on and have fun on the timed stages (mostly downhill, but can also have some short sharp climbs in it)

To add to this, one mans XC machine is anothers Enduro Machine, etc.

Johann Potgieter did the first Dirtopia Enduro on a 100mm travel, single speed, hardtail, jump bike.

I prefer to use the Single Speeders mindset, "Run what you brung", i.e. don't get to worried about the bike, if you believe you can handle the terrain, then come along and have some fun.

Guest Omega Man

If I remember correctly, that one runs a normal 135mm QR (it's pre-142mm) and an RP23.

Ja. JP Confirmed this. My DHX Ait is going on tho and my Reign will be sold with a brand spanking new RP23.

Yup, that's my trusted ride, a Giant Trance X. (Strictly speaking, a trail bike with 120mm travel)

I got adventurous a year or 2 back and decided to do as many different type of events as I could in 1 year. I rode a multi day stage race, a marathon, an XC race, an enduro, a downhill race, a dual slalom race and lots of trail and all mountain as training. About all I missed out was a BMX race. (Did some road riding as well btw.) The fact that my adventure ended with some broken bones wasn't the bikes fault!

Always beware the guy with one bike - he knows how to ride it! ;)

Guest Omega Man

This is kind of the look I'm going for when I build up my Tracer. It will most likely only be done towards the end of December.

Mine is gonna be running Zee cranks

Hope M4 brakes

Renthal FatBar

Zee Derailleur

A Dropper

Lyric fork The RC2 DH (Or something to that effect)

I'm also putting a DHX 5 Air shock on for that Mini DH Effect.

And yes. we will be honeymooning in the Alps.

Going Blacked out again. So if anyone has a Deity bar they want to swop for a Renthal.....

post-18968-0-04809900-1385310060_thumb.jpg

Guest Omega Man

i know someone. hold that bike! frame...

Sweet. I'll tell the complete lunatic who's selling it. He only gets back from Zim on the 5th tho so our mate might have to wait a bit.

This is kind of the look I'm going for when I build up my Tracer. It will most likely only be done towards the end of December.

And yes. we will be honeymooning in the Alps.

post-18968-0-04809900-1385310060_thumb.jpg

I will bring her big brother along to keep her company ^_^

Archived