[Event] MTN NATIONAL XCM #6 Rooiberg Driven By NISSAN

Tim_Fair

Felt like a another magalies monster work over .The climbs were okay ,but the slippery terrain was relentless .My fall count is 2 .Skin only

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one near fall but managed to keep the rubber side down.

But the terrain never let off; rocks, sand, rocks, sand, marbles... Today showed me how rubbish my technical skills are, haha.

Overall it was a jol and I was happy with my performance on the marathon and I managed my goal of a top 10 finish, 8th. :thumbup: My ego took over when I saw the "KOM 500m" sign, so I attacked and took the KOM for the marathon just to find out that there is no prize for it (only the Ultra guys.) :thumbdown:

Suffered plenty & had crap with bike. Seatpost was loose, front brake binding & snapped chain going up hysbak. Proper day out on the bike. Beers tasted extra sweet!

Felt like a another magalies monster work over .The climbs were okay ,but the slippery terrain was relentless .My fall count is 2 .Skin only

Completely agreed. The lose rocks meant the downhills were hardwork and didn't allow for much rest. Now that I have my sense of humor back I can comment that this is "I guess" what a proper MTB ride feels like.

Damn, it dominated me - 5h22m.

Completely agreed. The lose rocks meant the downhills were hardwork and didn't allow for much rest. Now that I have my sense of humor back I can comment that this is "I guess" what a proper MTB ride feels like.

Damn, it dominated me - 5h22m.

So do you prefer it to rugby yet?

Edited by CAAD4

@ Helpmytrap, well done dude, I was wondering if you would give those KOM's a go!

Yep, a tough day, I managed to split my helmet in half down the Rollercoaster with a very silly, but luckily quite a graceful fall. The rest was faaaarkin' hard work but awesome fun. Absolutely agree with HmT above, this race was a hard but very neccecary reminder for me about the level of my technical skills...I but like a Mtb master class!

All in all I had a good race, my training mate fell just after the 50km mark and broke his arm and I helped him to get to a medical station which took just under an hour, otherwise I would have come in at around 4hours. But, at least my buddy is ok and that is what matters!!!!

Probably the toughest event of my year so far. The terrain was just so unforgiving from start to finish!!!

My heart rate went mad after about 30km and from there on it was a struggle to get home. Luckily I made it one piece.

Definitely one to add to the "proper mountain biking" list.

But it really was carnage out there. I don't recall seeing so many broken people on the side of the track on a mountain bike race before. I came closest to wiping out coming down kom trying to slow down to avoid someone who had stopped in front of me. There was really no traction at all - it was like sliding along a floor covered in marbles.

I went into the race with a bit if a cold so I found it quite hard going - got a bit stronger during the race, but then started cramping a bit toward the end. It was much tougher than I was expecting - had I known I'd be in for another monster I might have bailed, but I'm glad I did it and finished. About 4:40 in the end.

The ride down from the tech station through to the bottom of the donga was an exhilirating, riveting ride. In all there was miles of great single track. Even the sand I quite liked as it really tests you. Overall an awesome race, all in a beautiful pristine bushveld environment.

Strange that there were so few of the top mtb pros there yesterday, RE:CM and Fedgroup were not present, are they racing in Europe?

Tim - The two un-manned water points on the ultra and 75km did not have any water! It was just a big green drum on a table! Fortunately some medics and techies had some Coke and water at the second one where the 75km and 105km routes joined.

It seems a Continental Race King is not the front tyre to have on this type of route...