I'd buy one just because I couldn't in 1983

Andymann

• 3 weeks later...

Was chatting to a mate of mine in Japan - he told me they still exist.... here's a blast from the past...

http://kuwahara-bike...ke-01&Itemid=98

Another brand that was not available in SA in 1983 was SE Bikes. And guess what they are now here and you can still ride one because they have a 26" and 29er BMX. Lets go break some bones. :w00t:

post-24942-0-35291500-1371560571_thumb.jpg

This is the one I remember,

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/e.t_kuwahara_001_blowup.jpg

There was a kid that rode in our neighbourhood that did some insane stuff (As a kid it was insane at the time...!) on one of these.

I have one of these on order..

Cant wait.

I lusted for a big ripper as a lad.

We know you do :thumbup: What you gonna do with the free skate deck .... we do not offer health insurance :)

Was it the Kuwahara that was all the rage post E.T? Feeling your pain on the Raleigh mine was 1st gen with the leather pads.

This is the one I remember,

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/e.t_kuwahara_001_blowup.jpg

There was a kid that rode in our neighbourhood that did some insane stuff (As a kid it was insane at the time...!) on one of these.

Man that's nice......

I had an interesting bike - my Dad was the GM at Iscor in Vanderbijlpark in the '80's and they supported Ertjies (he was a planner at Iscor I think). He organised through Ertjies a pre-production Le Turbo Grid 5 - the fancy one. It was slightly different to the ones which were for sale eventually, in that the frame bracing was almost identical to the Redlines. But it had all the fancy parts - Araya rims, Sugino crank, Dia Compe Brakes, UNI Seat, Knarler Knobbly Tyres.... I think we had to pay about R550 for it back then, and still had to assemble it ourselves.....

Damn, I wish I still had it now :-(

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

Sorry, but couldn't help but notice the post regarding the Le Turbo Grid 5.

I had one and raced it as a kid. It is now with my older brother in Maritzburg (Trevor Davids), hanging up in his garage as my nephews are avid downhill and cross country riders. Brendan Davids (Team Jeep and Specilaized rider) and Kyle Davids (Team Jeep) are my nephews ;-)

If anybody knows where we can get an original set of pads for this bike, as it will then be complete and almost original as I had done some add on's when I was a kid for racing, like to smaller X-MOTO 8 handle bars and UKAI marie biscuit rims. Currently has original rims on it and is still in good nick almost 32 years later.

I think you'll be lucky if you find some - there weren't that many Grid 5's around to start with, and I remember the pads were hot property back then - I used to leave mine off just because I knew if I didn't, someone would have stolen them! I do think I still have my Le Turbo Grid 5 team badge somewhere. If I can find it, I'll gladly send it down to you - It wasn't part of the bike, but might be nice just to have it though....