[Event] Die Burger MTB Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

Last year I got caught up in a huge bottle neck just after the first big clime, probably 8km into the race. Can this be avoided by trying to get over the first climb as quick as possible, or will there be traffic either way? Last year we sat there for probably 15-20 minutes, barely moving. It would be such a great single track if there were no congestion!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I got caught up in a huge bottle neck just after the first big clime, probably 8km into the race. Can this be avoided by trying to get over the first climb as quick as possible, or will there be traffic either way? Last year we sat there for probably 15-20 minutes, barely moving. It would be such a great single track if there were no congestion!

I think the only chance that you have is if you are one of the first start groups...

I know you guys are all big and fast riders. But I want to take my children (boy,8 and girl, 7) on the 15km race. Problem is they have BMX bike and dad can not afford new bikes for them. Would they be able to do it. Would they be allowed to do it?

Before anyone askes, I will be riding with them, or at least the slowest one. I will not shift my parent duties to Dirtopia :ph34r:

I cannot see why they won't be allowed to ride. As long as they wear a helmet they should be allowed to ride.

Is there a special category for kids riding single speed rigid bikes? :whistling: :clap:

Bad planning on my part. I've got a kiddies birthday party the morning of the 3rd. Anyone want to buy a 60km entry

I know you guys are all big and fast riders. But I want to take my children (boy,8 and girl, 7) on the 15km race. Problem is they have BMX bike and dad can not afford new bikes for them. Would they be able to do it. Would they be allowed to do it?

Before anyone askes, I will be riding with them, or at least the slowest one. I will not shift my parent duties to Dirtopia :ph34r:

Can't see there will be a problem but make sure , info@amarider.co.za ; make sure the boy have a cellphone to contact you if he runs into trouble (assuming you'll be riding with the girl). .

How technical is the 60 compared to the 40? Really not in the mood for all the masses of the 40.

Or is this a classical case of..if you have to ask the question...........you know the answer? :) :)

not really much technical on the 60km. Never had a problem with congestion but have been lucky enough to get an early start. The climbs around coetzenburg are on wide tracks and normally spread the field out before hitting any of the singletrack. Routes and profiles are under "Info" on the website http://www.dieburgermtbchallenge.co.za/

Request to riders - please don't give sweets to the farm children (some get a bit aggressive when there are no handouts)

not really much technical on the 60km. Never had a problem with congestion but have been lucky enough to get an early start. The climbs around coetzenburg are on wide tracks and normally spread the field out before hitting any of the singletrack. Routes and profiles are under "Info" on the website http://www.dieburger...hallenge.co.za/

Request to riders - please don't give sweets to the farm children (some get a bit aggressive when there are no handouts)

Thanks. It is actually the route description on the website that makes me wonder..... as they promise technical descents - which is not my strong point.

Thanks. It is actually the route description on the website that makes me wonder..... as they promise technical descents - which is not my strong point.

I guess the only way to find out how technical it is , is to do it . You have brakes if it becomes necessary . :)

Oversubscribed, too congested for me.

With you on this one, I guess we will have just about every trail in Cape Town available

I guess the only way to find out how technical it is , is to do it . You have brakes if it becomes necessary . :)

Ha Ha its not pretty you know.The sight of me going downhill and moaning in a whimpering voice: I am going to fall...I am going to fall..... I am going to ......

O never mind. I think you get the picture. :)