Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O my goodness. I must go! Need to start saving.. and maybe learn how to Jump at TOkai before I join haha.

Get ur ass in gear!

Also means i have 2 years to learn how not to suck

Dude!! How quickly can one get into shape for this?? Comming from a dual 29er nad mostly jeeptrack riding wiff that middelmannetjie you wree referring to?

R22k for such a trip is pretty doable!!

More seriously:

Are there some "normal" i.e. non DH tracks to explore? Are they "graded" like with ski slopes? I recall in one of your earlier psots you mentioned that ordinary Am biker can also make such a trip...

Yes trails are graded like the ski slopes and from my understanding the colours should be the same a with ski slopes.

Guest Omega Man

Dude!! How quickly can one get into shape for this?? Comming from a dual 29er nad mostly jeeptrack riding wiff that middelmannetjie you wree referring to?

More seriously:

Are there some "normal" i.e. non DH tracks to explore? Are they "graded" like with ski slopes? I recall in one of your earlier psots you mentioned that ordinary Am biker can also make such a trip...

There's tons and tons of ridgeline riding. There's also a lot of xc riding. Some of which we've used to get between the parks and those little bits were awesome. You'd still get a lift pass cos you wouldn't want to ride up an Alp every morning.

All of the downhill trails are graded yes. But it's not like here where they are graded on how much your lungs burn. Over there they are graded on technical difficulty.

From green up to black.

Green is more or less jeep track/smooth single track

Blue is flowy single track with berms and tables. Nice and safe

Red you'll start seeing big jumps and doubles. some small drops too. They will be marked tho.

Blacks you'll see big drops. Big gaps and proper steep trails.

As an example. The now deceased Snake trails at Tokai would rate as a green and the dh trail at tokai would rate as a blue. Maybe a red. But with added length and steepness. BUT! Built in a much safer manner. There are no sticks to impale yourself on and no stray stumps about to grab your pedal and send you flying into the undergrowth.

If you are a fairly competent rider you'll easily manage the greens up to reds. The blacks are where things get scary. You'd want to be on a bike with 160mm+ of suspension travel and have a dropper post on your bike. Cos even the XC trails have steep descents.

Edited by Omega Man

Yes trails are graded like the ski slopes and from my understanding the colours should be the same a with ski slopes.

Yup! in order of diffuculty... Green, Blue, Red, Black.

Don't be deceived like Peach and I were on our 2nd ever Alpine run... we saw what we thought was a "Yellow" trail. Thinking that it's somewhere bewteen green and blue, we took it as part of our warm up welcome to the alps...

it was the Pleney black run with some super nasty stepped rooty gullys. :lol:

More seriously:

I guess it all depends what kind of riding/stuff you want to do.

I gave myself the goal that I must be able to do at least 1m drops. It took me 2 weekends (about 3 hours in total) to land a drop of just over 1m. 2 weekends ago was the 1st time I did the 'jump action' not the 'roll over thing' off about calve hight steps in the amaizing Karkloof forest :wub: . This past weekend I went to Thaba, where a certain Hubber was convincing me of this 'easy drop down' (said to believe not that much of a step up to the previous weekend's ones)...ja right. It took me some serious soul searching to let go of the brakes and attempt this. On my 1st attempt I froze in the air and as I landed I slamed brakes (resulting in my hardest fall to date on a bicyle). I went through it in my head as I was sitting on the ground and got up and tried it again (mouth full of dirt). I got the 2nd landing on my wheels, not perfect, but got it and roll a bit more down the hill "whoooo-hoooo-ing" ^_^

Now to get comfy with that feeling and then I think I am ready to go too :D

edit: oh and I am only on a 150mm (front), 160mm (back) AM bike

Edited by hayleyearth

Guest Omega Man

More seriously:

Take a look at this vid. This is a new track on Zore. Which is on the one side of Morzine. I's graded blue. you can see there'e nothing on there that isn't roll-able and it'a easily manageable on a 160mm bike. That little river gap at the end where the oke crashes has an alternate line.

Also. NO-ONE over there gives a toss how good or bad or fast or slow you are. So neither should you. You'll be sharing the trails with World Champions and tourists who really have no place on a bike let alone a mountain bike trail. So just go and have fun. People that get all strung out on how good or bad they are end up getting hurt.

Just ask my good friend Marc.

Edited by Omega Man

I guess it all depends what kind of riding/stuff you want to do.

I gave myself the goal that I must be able to do at least 1m drops. It took me 2 weekends (about 3 hours in total) to land a drop of just over 1m. 2 weekends ago was the 1st time I did the 'jump action' not the 'roll over thing' off about calve hight steps in the amaizing Karkloof forest :wub: . This past weekend I went to Thaba, where a certain Hubber was convincing me of this 'easy drop down' (said to believe not that much of a step up to the previous weekend's ones)...ja right. It took me some serious soul searching to let go of the brakes and attempt this. On my 1st attempt I froze in the air and as I landed I slamed brakes (resulting in my hardest fall to date on a bicyle). I went through it in my head as I was sitting on the ground and got up and tried it again (mouth full of dirt). I got the 2nd landing on my wheels, not perfect, but got it and roll a bit more down the hill "whoooo-hoooo-ing" ^_^

Now to get comfy with that feeling and then I think I am ready to go too :D

edit: oh and I am only on a 150mm (front), 160mm (back) AM bike

:thumbup:

This should be your goal then...

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528129_10151313916865561_1459553964_n.jpg

(Peach going off a drop in Nauchettes)

Guest Omega Man

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528129_10151313916865561_1459553964_n.jpg

That thing is HUUUGE!

2 things....I would need a DH machine and if you give it a go :ph34r:

That thing is HUUUGE!

I thought it was pretty big too... until I saw Super_mil do the Karkloof road gap. Now it seems easy.

2 things....I would need a DH machine and if you give it a go :ph34r:

1. In Morzine and Les Gets you can rent nearly any type of DH bike your heart desires ;)

2. I plan to!

Guest Omega Man

I thought it was pretty big too... until I saw Super_mil do the Karkloof road gap. Now it seems easy.

1. In Morzine and Les Gets you can rent nearly any type of DH bike your heart desires ;)

2. I plan to!

The first year i saw a dude hit hat thing fast. he basically bounced in the berm below and went flying into the bushes below. He was fine.

The first year i saw a dude hit hat thing fast. he basically bounced in the berm below and went flying into the bushes below. He was fine.

Yeah, when Peach and Super_mil did it last year they rolled in fairly slow. As soon as they touched down they were rocketed towards the oncoming berms.

I also saw some local youngsters go off there at speed. They seemed to ore-jump it so as to touch down perfectly and not overshoot.