Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Hi Omega Man

Impressive building going on in the pictures above. It made me wonder. Do they flatten everything after the summer to level it out for skiing during the next winter? And build from scratch the next year? Or will those berms and jumps stay?

Hey man.

Yeah they are going wild. I've never seen so much pre season effort from those froggies before.

Funnily enough they do a lot of the rough building AFTER the riding season. Apparently the weight of the snow helps to compact the trails. Come summer the builders do some woodwork, shaping and buffing just before the riding season starts. So the pics of the new trail I'm posting will only really be at their best next year after they've been through a winter to harden up.

The maintenance crews basically spend the rest of the summer fixing features that are routinely injuring riders and taking out braking bumps.

Also the MTB trails generally run in or right next to the trees and they tend not to build features on the ski pistes if they do run across them so they don't get too wrecked by the snow.

2 notable exceptions are in the Les Gets where on the main line where they've built huge dirt berms. Come winter that's a boardercross track.

And the Les Gets Summer Jump park are snow moguls in the winter.

So short story no. They don't completely rebuild every year.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

A short little sample of the Pleney Blue trail. I can't believe I've only ever ridden this once. I think I'm going to have to remedy that situation.

http://vimeo.com/98475878

Guest Omega Man

Ok so here's a little Hail Mary.

One of the dudes has pulled out of our trip. He still owes me some $. So I'm kind of in the hole here. If anyone is keen to join in on our accommodation please message me. I'm not looking to profit from this. just cover the money I've already paid out.

Cheers.

Duane.

Ok so here's a little Hail Mary.

One of the dudes has pulled out of our trip. He still owes me some $. So I'm kind of in the hole here. If anyone is keen to join in on our accommodation please message me. I'm not looking to profit from this. just cover the money I've already paid out.

Cheers.

Duane.

Hi Duane

I'm Nick Bizinos's mate who i think he mentioned may be keen to join you guys. I'm flying out there from Bristol with Nick anyway and will just camp if i don't join up with you guys but i think i'd be quite keen on the luxury for those two weeks and then i can revert to being a camper thereafter (i'll be sticking around for a month at least).

I've ridden there twice before and just spent the last summer in Queenstown so no need to worry about whether i know what's involved!

If the spot is available please let me know for sure and we can chat about the details, my email is evanprice7@gmail.com

cheers

evan

This fat black beast (rider or bike, take it as you like) is going back for round 2...

1477369_127523690756125_1512227082_n.jpg

10175969_10152933629745639_2072264203_n.jpg

Rumor has it he's a

post-18968-0-26925100-1403611960_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-03798000-1403611970_thumb.jpg

edit: dont want to become part of this discussion

Edited by hayleyearth