New Gauteng Technical Trail

dillon

I am indeed and I know of 3 other people that will really enjoy it.

Keen on the 15th. Taking my wife somewhere nice on the 16th & 17th.

lekker, will send out info closer to the time.

if im in a good mood, i might even share my Stravaaaaaaaaaaa route.post-16445-0-20140400-1370422783_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what guys I am looking to create a technical enduro type track that will be tough (realy tough if you ride the climbs) in a star type configuration. So you have a main circular route made up of single track and jeep track, roughly 20kms, not flat but a little more technical than say Groenkloof.

From that circular route you will have other loops which will be steep climbs but awesome downhills downhills, enduro type sections, something like the Clarens 40km had in the last 10kms. All the looks together would get you over 50kms but with A LOT OF CLIMBING.

Have I ridden it yet? Yes some sections on the mountain bike, others on the motorbike. There is still a lot of work needed to get the downhills flowing, but that starts next month.

Just trying to gauge what others think we need as a training area

Here is the profile of a 20km loop 827m of climbing, just to give you an idea of what can be done here

route-pro.jpg

I like a lot of climbing on a MTB route. Northern Farms, Modderfontein and Van Gaalens (apart from that one hill) are all too flat.

I like a lot of climbing on a MTB route. Northern Farms, Modderfontein and Van Gaalens (apart from that one hill) are all too flat.

Concrete slabs...Oom Piets...Greek church....ou blixem...poffadder

Where do you ride there

you keen to join on a ride next weekend (15th or 16th) that's similar to this? smolly, you in jobeg?

I'm in

Tell you what guys I am looking to create a technical enduro type track that will be tough (realy tough if you ride the climbs) in a star type configuration. So you have a main circular route made up of single track and jeep track, roughly 20kms, not flat but a little more technical than say Groenkloof.

From that circular route you will have other loops which will be steep climbs but awesome downhills downhills, enduro type sections, something like the Clarens 40km had in the last 10kms. All the looks together would get you over 50kms but with A LOT OF CLIMBING.

Have I ridden it yet? Yes some sections on the mountain bike, others on the motorbike. There is still a lot of work needed to get the downhills flowing, but that starts next month.

Just trying to gauge what others think we need as a training area

Thank you.

Sounds awesome.

Sounds lekker Dillon, am keen too

something i did not mention is that there are "watering points" where you can get a borrie roll, cool-drink, beer, repair a puncture, cool down in a pool or get an escape route via district roads back to your car

If you want to come ride the first sections with me and explore some of the options add your name to this thread,

I think we will have some rideable trails in late August, so I can take you out onto the trails and show you around then.

Sweet, count me in. Personally I feel that variety is the spice of live. It is high time that eestablish more bikeparks :thumbup:

I like the idea of this place! It sounds like you have the elevation to make some really nice trails.

I hate going up, but if the down is good enough, it makes up for it!

I have access to 4 adjoining farms in the Gauteng area, the landscape is typical of the region and dotted with 200m high koppies.

The technical riding potential would to be fantastic with only 20% of the route on jeep track, the bulk of the track would be single track along valleys in typical african bush, with steep technical climbs and broad smiling descents.

the route would consist of a 20km ring route, with different short loops branching off the ring route, The 20km ring route would have 450m of climbing, with +-1200m of climbing possible over the whole 50km route.

Is this to tough? personally I feel this would help me in training for some of the races out there.

The downhills would have rockgardens, berms, roots, trees, dropoffs, loose corners and the odd kudu. Maybe one or 2 chicken lines.

What do you think?

dude pick me as guinie pig please, we need this so badly in JHB its scary. think for the xc and family types a chicken run is a requirement.