Stripped cleat screw

Squier

The proper way would be to use an 'easy out' which is done by drilling a hole in the centre of the broken thread and using the easy out to remove the broken piece.

You can by them from a hardware store.

The easier way - which I have had to do twice...is...

Remove the other cleat screw first, then take a drill with a large drill bit and drill the head off the stripped screw/bolt. (Just don't drill into your shoe!!)

Now remove the cleat.

You'll be left with the thread piece of the bolt sticking out- take a pair of pliers or vice grips and unscrew the bolt.

Edited by mrbaker

remove the other screw. check the size / dia of the screw. think it will be a size 5 or 6 drill.

drill on the hex head of the screw slow untill the head falls of. take vicegrip an turn out bolt

In the past I used a side cutters to grip the screw and turn it. I put 1 point inside the screw hole and the other side over the edge then I gripped hard.

What also help is if you are able to get 1 screw out so that you can move the cleat to release the other screw.

I had the same problem last week. I used a t25 (brake rotor screws). If the t25 also slips, try a t27. You may have to knock it in to grip the screw. I used a T-Bar, long extension and the t27 socket (pic attached).

Method

Spray some q20 or wd40 around the cleat and screw. Let it loosen some of the dirt and get into the grooves.

Knock the t25/t27 socket Into the stripped screw.

Stand on the shoe with the cleat facing up towards you.

Put the T-Bar andlong extension into the socket.

Push down hard on the T-Bar with both hands and turn loose.

This worked for me 1st time. The t-bar gives you the leverage, and the ability to put some pressure to prevent the socket from popping out.

Good Luck

post-25017-0-89385500-1370462633_thumb.jpg

Guest Kalahari ou
In the past I used a side cutters to grip the screw and turn it. I put 1 point inside the screw hole and the other side over the edge then I gripped hard.

What also help is if you are able to get 1 screw out so that you can move the cleat to release the other screw.

Side cutters? :blink: disbelief

Whaaaat? Jeez no, just use a a small, round cutting disc like the little ones you get for Dremmels to make you own flat cut into the screw, then use a normal flat head screwdriver to unscrew it normally :)

Whaaaat? Jeez no, just use a a small, round cutting disc like the little ones you get for Dremmels to make you own flat cut into the screw, then use a normal flat head screwdriver to unscrew it normally :)

That won't always work, as the screws are typically countersunk. You may have to cut deep to get enough grip with the FLAT. Also the cleat may get damaged, and maybe the OP would still like to use the cleat.

Just my opinion though.

That won't always work, as the screws are typically countersunk. You may have to cut deep to get enough grip with the FLAT. Also the cleat may get damaged, and maybe the OP would still like to use the cleat.

Just my opinion though.

Works like a charm for me, and this is working with tiny little screws with remote controlled cars who are notorious for getting stripped screws due to the abuse they take on the track. The trick is to get a disc small enough you can do this by grinding down your discs on something like a brick before making an incision so as not to spoil the cleat.

Lots of ways to get that out - but my favourite is to Tig weld a nut to it - small nut like a from an M6 bolt, and turn it out with a spanner. Just have to weld inside the hole of the nut.

Depending on the type of cleat and screw (i.e. this wont work on a cleat that "bites deep" into the shoe sole like time atacs) you could loosen the other retaining screw(s) leaving just the stripped one, then grab the cleat either in a vice or with some pliers and try turn the cleat a little (if the cleat is in a vice turn the shoe), it might "crack" (loosen slightly) the stripped screw enough for you to turn it out with something that you can grip it with (vice grip pliers, side cutter...)

Did this with a pair of road look cleats once before

Yeah, same as SwissVan.

Take out the bolts that do work. then turn the cleat while lifting it so the stripped bolt turns out.

I had the same problem last week. I used a t25 (brake rotor screws). If the t25 also slips, try a t27. You may have to knock it in to grip the screw. I used a T-Bar, long extension and the t27 socket (pic attached).

Method

Spray some q20 or wd40 around the cleat and screw. Let it loosen some of the dirt and get into the grooves.

Knock the t25/t27 socket Into the stripped screw.

Stand on the shoe with the cleat facing up towards you.

Put the T-Bar andlong extension into the socket.

Push down hard on the T-Bar with both hands and turn loose.

This worked for me 1st time. The t-bar gives you the leverage, and the ability to put some pressure to prevent the socket from popping out.

Good Luck

i can see the way that T-bar handle is bent that it certainly does give you more leverage........ jeesliaak, do you eat spinach??????