Jonkershoek - Fraanshoek over the mountains

Pappa Bear

Hi,

Has anybody started in Jonkershoek and rode over the mountains at the back to Fraanshoek?

I am quite keen to do it and sleep in the mountains while at it....

Some advice and ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by Pappa Bear

You are going to freeze to death in those mountains now...also it is not that far to ride there, a normal road training ride to there an back from my house adds up to about 135km.

You are going to freeze to death in those mountains now...also it is not that far to ride there, a normal road training ride to there an back from my house adds up to about 135km.

Want some adventure / spice to my normal weekend riding............

Hi,

Has anybody started in Jonkershoek and rode over the mountains at the back to Fraanshoek?

Thanks

Jis I have been wanting to do this for 2 years!!

From google earth it looks like there is a footpath all the way........ Will speak to the guys at jonkers on sunday and find out if i need permission ( otherwise i will just do it and keep quite .........)

From google earth it looks like there is a footpath all the way........ Will speak to the guys at jonkers on sunday and find out if i need permission ( otherwise i will just do it and keep quite .........)

Hi,

Thanks

Won't be long before you are doing this on a dedicated route. What, did I just say that?

*You heard nothing, pigment in your imagination*

Pappa Bear, there is a new route being planned.

At that altitude at night it can get very cold, you'll probably get a rather rubbish cold.

Kids were evacuated a few years ago, and it was a massive mission, because they tried to overnight. I understand they were banned. One does not want to jeopardize any possible Jonkershoek happiness, especially as it is now, quite possibly, the best riding in the Southern hemisphere.

So, I would probably wait a touch before trying to overnight or check with the guys at the gate; who would probably say no, but with some good reason.

PS: fantastic trail maintenance on the fire hut run by Bennett Nel, rode yesterday after being overseas for a month. These trail builders, they are the most important people in mountain biking and get the least credit.

Hi,

Thanks

um ja. please don't do this - we don't need cowboys messing up the already fragile relationship with CapeNature. The answer from them is most definitely no.

It's mostly unrideable hiking trail anyway won't be that much fun.

Dont worry will ask before I do this and get the required permisions. An overnighter is way more exciting than a day ride!

Don't think it's possible and even if it is, you are going to walk 50% of the route, few people get over pieke by walking, mtb seems like a massive challenge. keep us updated.

Dont worry will ask before I do this and get the required permisions. An overnighter is way more exciting than a day ride!

;I

• 8 months later...

Pappa Bear, there is a new route being planned.

At that altitude at night it can get very cold, you'll probably get a rather rubbish cold.

Kids were evacuated a few years ago, and it was a massive mission, because they tried to overnight. I understand they were banned. One does not want to jeopardize any possible Jonkershoek happiness, especially as it is now, quite possibly, the best riding in the Southern hemisphere.

So, I would probably wait a touch before trying to overnight or check with the guys at the gate; who would probably say no, but with some good reason.

PS: fantastic trail maintenance on the fire hut run by Bennett Nel, rode yesterday after being overseas for a month. These trail builders, they are the most important people in mountain biking and get the least credit.

Hi Lance

Any news on the new route that was planned?

Straatvark,

Not yet, no.

They are harvesting now, which means building will only commence deep into the winter, I assume.

New Enduro Black Diamond trail is a thing of greatness though. The link across the valley? Perhaps it will be built as part of a pre-event work for the 2014 Origin of Trails.