Starting Mountain Biking ...advice and help required ...

benadeja

Hi There.

I have been doing road cycling for a few years then took a 2 year break as I lost my passion for cycling along the way :( , now I am looking to get into cycling again but this time give mtb'ing a shot.

Coming from a road cycling background what/how/why do I start mtb'ing, what do I need to get going [gear,equipment ...] etc.

I can get this bike currently , it's been bought new and only ridden once would you suggest this bike to get going with ?

post-8964-0-42644400-1370593766_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the help and advice..

Edited by benadeja

It depends on what you want to do.

I used to MTB quite a bit some years ago and then took a break until Nov last year. I dragged my old bike from the garage and started MTBing again, so in some ways also a fresh start.

I realised that I wanted to ride relatively competitively, but also in comfort. My old bike (a decent enough 26" did not give me this, so I upgraded to a 29er dual suspension. My ride is comfortable and I can realistically aim to finish in the top 30 - 50% of the field.

I would not recommend that you buy a 26er and further recommend you consider a dual suspension. You really need to decide what is important to you and then decide.

go 29er HT or dual sus, u can get some great deals on 26er seems the resale value has dropped on them something bad.

Hi There.

I have been doing road cycling for a few years then took a 2 year break as I lost my passion for cycling along the way :( , now I am looking to get into cycling again but this time give mtb'ing a shot.

Coming from a road cycling background what/how/why do I start mtb'ing, what do I need to get going [gear,equipment ...] etc.

I can get this bike currently , it's been bought new and only ridden once would you suggest this bike to get going with ?

post-8964-0-42644400-1370593766_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the help and advice..

Keep the following in mind:

1. Make sure the bike is the right size - NNB!

2. Do you have an idea of what type of riding you are going to be doing?

3.Make very sure when buying a second hand bike, maybe take someone along with good knowledge of the type of bike you will be looking at.

Keep the following in mind:

1. Make sure the bike is the right size - NNB!

2. Do you have an idea of what type of riding you are going to be doing?

3.Make very sure when buying a second hand bike, maybe take someone along with good knowledge of the type of bike you will be looking at.

Yes i made sure it's . medium like my roadbike

Basically me and my wife want to start this thing together just want to enjoy it and finish various events but not aiming for a top 20 spot

Then yes it was my sister's bike she bought it new then only took it for 1 ride but her working hours don't allow her to ride more so she want to sell it

Hard tail is a good thing to learn your basic mtb'ing skills, so you don't end up lazy and making the suspension do the work for you! Eventually you will want a dual sus though.

Never discount a 26er, bought a second hand 26 dual sus end of last year to replace my Merida hard tail 26 and it was the best money I've spent in a long time, and there a lot of good second hand deals.

29er is brilliant for XC and distance, while 26 tends to be a bit more snappy for better single track and AM riding.

Maybe give both a try.

But to start out with you will be perfectly fine with that Cannondale.

As above.

Just make sure of size - a too small bike is a lousy ride.

If the price is right then go second hand to start with as they tend to keep their price so not a ding in the pocket when you want to change bikes ( did not say upgrade as you don't really upgrade from a Cannondale)

Watch out for hype and fashion and what the buddies say as they are ussually uninformed and baissed.

Hardtail no issue on dirt roads - dual suspension when you get to the knarly stuff

As above.

Just make sure of size - a too small bike is a lousy ride.

Apart from the 29er conspiracy,

the hard tail heresy,

the gears debate

and the carbon controversy

what more is there to say

a steel 26er single speed hardtail with rigid or coil suspension fork is probably the best buy you could make.

oh,

and the dark art of frame geometry, standover height is a lie, the true measurement you need to consider is top tube length, reach is the key factor to comfort. Also flat low bars = longer stem and riser bars set high = shorter stem.

but that is dark magi for most,

just go ride and then tweek.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Thanks for the advice so far, what would you guys suggest be a good price to pay for the above bike ?

The bike has only done 200km...so it's still fairy new ?

Check the new price and pay half of that. That is what I would suggest by I am sure you will get a few different answers here!

Any idea where I can see what they are going for new ?