Advice on flat pedals

Raab

Hi Guys

Apologies if this has been posted before, couldn't find anything.

Currently building up a bike for my wife and would like to put some good quality flats on the bike, she will not be going crazy on the bike just doesn't want her feet cleated in.

So riding will be mostly dirt roads etc so I don't see a need for anything with hectic spikes.

I was thinking of these but I am open to suggestions.

Really appreciate it guys!

Shimano MX80 Saint Flat Pedals

CODE: EPDMX80

List price: R739.00

R629.00 You save: R110.00 (15%)

-15%

In stock

This item usually ships in 3 - 5 working days

Qty:

ADD TO WISH LIST

Hi Guys

Currently building up a bike for my wife and would like to put some good quality flats on the bike, she will not be going crazy on the bike just doesn't want her feet cleated in.

So riding will be mostly dirt roads etc so I don't see a need for anything with hectic spikes.

Shimano MX80 Saint Flat Pedals

CODE: EPDMX80

List price: R739.00

R629.00 You save: R110.00 (15%)

-15%

In stock

This item usually ships in 3 - 5 working days

Qty:

ADD TO WISH LIST

If I had the chance again, I'd take a pair of Nukeproof Neutrons... They are probably the most celebrated pedal out there, at least on Hubville...

Those, or the budget (but still good) option of DMR v8's.Those SAINT's look good with their replaceable pins though.

+1 on the DMR V8's. been running mine on the jump bike and they are great. you can also replace the grub screws on them when they wear out.

Yeah. And the only difference between those and the v12's (afaik) is that the v12's use magnesium and the profile is slightly smaller.

DMR v8's for me, budget-wise.

If you are just looking for a solid platform... not for running hectic stuff, why not look at the plastic pedal equivalents.

I am running these on my trail bike. I haven't had any issues (and I am not even using proper shoes).

On the plus side is that if she slips a pedal she hasn't got sharp pins swinging into her shins!

They are also cheap and come in cool colours

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/73862-1.jpg

Edited by lloydkayak

If you are just looking for a solid platform... not for running hectic stuff, why not look at the plastic pedal equivalents.

I am running these on my trail bike. I haven't had any issues (and I am not even using proper shoes).

On the plus side is that if she slips a pedal she hasn't got sharp pins swinging into her shins!

They are also cheap and come in cool colours

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/73862-1.jpg

I think these are the same price as v8's? Around R 350 or so...

It's an okay pedal for a commuter bike, but I can't help but think that the pins won't QUITE do their job when the going gets tough...

It's an okay pedal for a commuter bike, but I can't help but think that the pins won't QUITE do their job when the going gets tough...

Closer to R150... I agree about the slipping, I bought them for my commuter but tried them on the trail bike to see... I think in really wet conditions one might have issues. But if you keep your weight in your feet and have proper shoes, I can't see them giving big issues...

The OP wanted something for his wife who isnt riding hectic stuff... the advantage that she doesn't need shin pads might help?

Hi Guys

How is your wife's fitness?

Does she currently ride bikes long distance?

(I have a reason for asking)

I think these are the same price as v8's? Around R 350 or so...

Or wet

Thanks for the replies hubbers, so subsequent to posting the original question I have discovered so many other options to consider. So ja based on the facts stated in the original post the current forerunner:

http://dialdbikes.co.za/images/thumbnails/0/250/pedals-cookie.jpg

They are about 180 and I can get them in purple which is a plus

Closer to R150... I agree about the slipping, I bought them for my commuter but tried them on the trail bike to see... I think in really wet conditions one might have issues. But if you keep your weight in your feet and have proper shoes, I can't see them giving big issues...

The OP wanted something for his wife who isnt riding hectic stuff... the advantage that she doesn't need shin pads might help?

Good advice especially as the OP states the wife will be doing nothing hectic. Would recommend using the money saved on the pedals being put towards a good pair of shoes five tens, tevas etc, so that she gets the foot support that these shoes offer. You can always upgrade the pedals in time

Edited by shaper

How is your wife's fitness?

Does she currently ride bikes long distance?

(I have a reason for asking)

We have done a few rides of 20kms together as she is literally just starting out, she is quite strong and fit, climbs and flats are no issue she just doesn't have confidence going downhill at the moment

Yeah. And the only difference between those and the v12's (afaik) is that the v12's use magnesium and the profile is slightly smaller.

DMR v8's for me, budget-wise.

V12 uses cartridge bearings while the V8 uses cup and cone bearings.

Good advice especially as the OP states the wife will be doing nothing hectic. Would recommend using the money saved on the pedals being put towards a good pair of shoes five tens, tevas etc, so that she gets the foot support that these shoes offer. You can always upgrade the pedals in time

Where can one get Tevas in SA? Looking at dropping some proper money on 5.10s... wouldnt mind checking out some competitors offerings

I have a pair of Giant flats and my husband has Nukeproof, both great pedals. Both us use Solomon Speedcross 3 shoes and have never slipped.