Shocked on Ride...how is it possible?

XXL

This is going to sound "out there"...but hear me out! I did the Big Red Barn 30km today. While riding up the one hill just before the USN table on the road, it suddenly felt like I was being stung on the upper, inner thighs where they make contact with the saddle. It was so sore I jumped off the bike. Just then my fingers touched the metal part of the handlebar and it was like touching a live electrical wire! I then realized that the shock in the nether regions came from the saddle rails...if I stood up, no shock!

Coincidentally, this happened under those huge power lines. Two other people confirmed that the same had happened to them, also under the power lines.....how is this possible? Any got any idea. I have never experienced this in my life...and I have been around for nearly 50 years. Anyone else experience this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and I have been around for nearly 50 years. Anyone else experience this?

I blame old age!!!!!

In a serious note that is weird and hope you find your answer soon.

Edited by DaddyG

Guest The Bushpig

Shocking !

Induced current in the seat rails from the magnetic field beneath the Power Lines. I have heard of people burying lengths of cable in the ground beneath High Voltage Power lines and tapping power off the buried cable.

Just my theory btw.

Edited by The Bushpig

http://files.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/electromagnetic-fluorescent-bulb-light.jpg

Got shocked like that before its almost like static I touch a fence under high voltage power lines

Guest The Bushpig

First bike ever with an electric seat.

:whistling:

Definitely has something to do with high-voltage power lines. There is a spot in Samrand where it happens to me regularly, I am now prepared and get out of the saddle.

very interesting...but i have heard some pretty interesting stories about induced current below power lines. I have been underneath one when lightning arced with the power lines. ...have never kakked myself so badly in my life...needless to say I about turned and rode home

Definitely has something to do with high-voltage power lines. There is a spot in Samrand where it happens to me regularly, I am now prepared and get out of the saddle.

What happens when it's raining? :nuke:

I have been shocked like that on two separate occasion.

I also don't know how it's possible.

I suspect it had something to do with being on a carbon bike.

Do you ride a carbon bike ?

Scared to think what would happen if someone with a pace maker rides there.

G

very scary...so one day we will all have to ride with special suits ;)

Abstract

Pacemaker function was tested in two electricity substation workers exposed to high tension electric fields. High intensity electric fields induced reversion to the interference mode, producing in one case competitive rhythm and in the other inappropriately slow pacing which resulted in asymptomatic pauses of up to 2.5 s. A suit designed to shield the body from the effects of high intensity electric fields was tried and proved to be effective in protecting the pacemaker, allowing it to function normally in the substations.

Scared to think what would happen if someone with a pace maker rides there.

G

Edited by Warren911

Guest The Bushpig

very interesting...but i have heard some pretty interesting stories about induced current below power lines. I have been underneath one when lightning arced with the power lines. ...have never kakked myself so badly in my life...needless to say I about turned and rode home

:eek: At Mach 1, no doubt...

Guest The Bushpig

I have been shocked like that on two separate occasion.

I also don't know how it's possible.

I suspect it had something to do with being on a carbon bike.

Do you ride a carbon bike ?

Could be a connection there; I know that Graphite fishing rods are like catnip for Lightning. They start humming when there's lightning activity(even far away). One does NOT fish anywhere near a storm with a graphite rod.