Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried a "lomo al trapo" for lunch. Dish from Columbia but saw it last weaken in newspaper. Watched some YouTube vids for pointers.

Take a dishcloth and spread lots of coarse salt on it and sprinkle oregano. Now put fillet steak on this and roll tightly. Put the package directly on the hot coals. 9 min a side gave me medium-rare and the 2nd one I did for 10 a side was medium. So changes quickly.

Meat is lovely and tender with a hint of salt and oregano. Will do this again !

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434297698.761446.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434297712.510104.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434297729.311960.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1434297741.876492.jpg

Looks interesting. What did you use to tie the dish cloths closed? surely normal string would just burn? I'm also suprised the dish cloths didn't burn. Definitely think ill try this.

Dish cloths burnt to pieces, that's why you should use old ones you are happy to discard. I tied a knot with the ends of the cloth but also normal string. It burns but the package holds it shape. Also you only turn it once so limited movement. It actually becomes a hard shell around the meat, not too easy to open up again :-)

I got the wife a Wusthoff Chefs' knife recently. It is a seriously impressive blade that earned me lots of brownie points. Thanks to all the Hubbers that pointed me in the right direction.

I got the wife a Wusthoff Chefs' knife recently. It is a seriously impressive blade that earned me lots of brownie points. Thanks to all the Hubbers that pointed me in the right direction.

You bought your wife a KNIFE?????

You've been in the sun too long!!!

:whistling:

You bought your wife a KNIFE?????

You've been in the sun too long!!!

:whistling:

And a knife THAT sharp.....must be you are right about the sun thing. :D

And a knife THAT sharp.....must be you are right about the sun thing. :D

Just behave, and you should be ok.

And for the love of God, don't let her find out what you spend on bike stuff!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta try this.

Bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed Chicken breast

Ingredients:

- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

- 4 tablespoons cream cheese

- 1/4 cup Pepperjack cheese, shredded

- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped

- 4 to 8 pieces of bacon

Instructions:

1. Cut chicken into 4 equal size pieces. Pound breast so it is about 1/4" thick.

2. Mix together softened cream cheese, chopped green onions and shredded pepperjack cheese. Put 1/4 of this mixture into the middle of each piece of chicken.

3. Starting at the long side, roll chicken breast up, keeping the cheese mixture to the middle.

4. Wrap 1 to 2 slices of bacon around the chicken breast, secure with toothpick, if needed.

5. Place on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 190 deg C.

6. Broil topside for about 5 minutes to fully brown and crisp bacon. Turn each breast over and broil for another 3 minutes or so to crisp up the bottom side.

7. Serve immediately.

Serves: 4 large servings.

*One piece of bacon wrapped around each breast is enough. But 2 pieces for each breast fully wraps the chicken and is outstanding as well.

post-33824-0-72042700-1436176948_thumb.jpg

post-33824-0-40300200-1436176957_thumb.jpg

post-33824-0-26694000-1436176965_thumb.jpg

Gotta try this.

Bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed Chicken breast

Ingredients:

- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

- 4 tablespoons cream cheese

- 1/4 cup Pepperjack cheese, shredded

- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped

- 4 to 8 pieces of bacon

Instructions:

1. Cut chicken into 4 equal size pieces. Pound breast so it is about 1/4" thick.

2. Mix together softened cream cheese, chopped green onions and shredded pepperjack cheese. Put 1/4 of this mixture into the middle of each piece of chicken.

3. Starting at the long side, roll chicken breast up, keeping the cheese mixture to the middle.

4. Wrap 1 to 2 slices of bacon around the chicken breast, secure with toothpick, if needed.

5. Place on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 190 deg C.

6. Broil topside for about 5 minutes to fully brown and crisp bacon. Turn each breast over and broil for another 3 minutes or so to crisp up the bottom side.

7. Serve immediately.

Serves: 4 large servings.

*One piece of bacon wrapped around each breast is enough. But 2 pieces for each breast fully wraps the chicken and is outstanding as well.

Dude, what is UP with those girly plates????? :whistling:

Nice recipe though!

Dude, what is UP with those girly plates????? :whistling:

Nice recipe though!

Hahaa, I thought the same thing about the plates.

Hahaa, I thought the same thing about the plates.

Ok, now enough reposting other's cooking - we wanna see your pics, or it didn't happen!

Ok, now enough reposting other's cooking - we wanna see your pics, or it didn't happen!

Well it hasn't happened yet, but it is on my list of things to do, hehe.

• 3 weeks later...

Who else has used a pizza stone in a weber?

I used mine for the first time yesterday. Pizza was very good but I'd like more browned on top. Must I move the coals to indirect method?

Who else has used a pizza stone in a weber?

I used mine for the first time yesterday. Pizza was very good but I'd like more browned on top. Must I move the coals to indirect method?

As far as I know, yes. Pizza stone on the weber should be used with the indirect method. 

It ain't purdy, but sure was tasty...had plenty leftover paella on Sunday morning, so we made a frittata out of it for brekkie.

post-1604-0-46397000-1438584449_thumb.jpg

...when you live alone, you learn how to stretch food... 

OIkay, people in the know - It's time to buy a gas stove, and the question is...

Full gas, or gas hob & leccie oven?

I won't settle for an oven without a thermofan, and I like cooking at low temps sometimes. Any issues with full gas?