Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I recently got hold of some wildebeest meat in cube form (about 2kgs) and would like to try and make a potjie out of it. The thing is though I am a potjie noob. Anyone have a good venison potjie recipie that is relatively fool proof? Also any potjiekos tips from all of you potjie masters out there in bikehubville would be much appreciated.

So I recently got hold of some wildebeest meat in cube form (about 2kgs) and would like to try and make a potjie out of it. The thing is though I am a potjie noob. Anyone have a good venison potjie recipie that is relatively fool proof? Also any potjiekos tips from all of you potjie masters out there in bikehubville would be much appreciated.

Buy any old Bles Bridges LP's. Play them backwards and you get all the potjie recipe's you've ever wanted!

You can thank me later :whistling:

Don't lift a hot lid with bare fingers...  :thumbup:

My family own a blade sharpening business overseas. I bought a set of Zwilling Henckels knives when I visited them and they told me not to use the rod type knife sharpener. They recommended this one and it works well on my knives:

http://www.yuppiechef.com/wusthof-knife-sharpeners.htm?id=4454&name=Wusthof-2-Stage-Knife-Sharpener&ref=search

Works like a bomb, you also get cheaper versions of the same thing, but the 2 stages work a treat.

Edited by Dick

Guest notmyname

layer layer layer. Don't stir your pot.

http://www.potjiekosworld.com

I've not cooked any of the recipes provided. It looks legit though.

My oupa taught me 'n bees potjie recipie. BUT... I'd have to kill you if I gave you that recipe.

Thanks. I did have a brief look there this morning. I will have to spend some more time reading there later this evening.

At least I would get to taste your oupa's recipie once[emoji12]

Jimmycool, it's been 5 generations since the forefathers crossed the Orange River and I can tell you the only recipe is this...trail and error!

And the golden rule as Small Fry mentioned, DO NOT STIR THE POT...if you do, enjoy your stew.

Thanks Ed.

I will put on my vellies and khaki shorts this Saturday and make for to us a fire and do my very best effort to make our forefathers proud.

ps. I will resist the urge to stir.

A friend once insisted that the contents of a potjie have to be covered with cabbage leaves.

There are as many ways to make a potjie as there are people who make potjies...

Got hold of some tangines the other day. It's cool going to a restaurant for Berber stuff - there's one called, imaginatively, Tanjine around the corner - but is it worth it to make at home? Anyone a fan?    

A friend once insisted that the contents of a potjie have to be covered with cabbage leaves.

There are as many ways to make a potjie as there are people who make potjies...

Got hold of some tangines the other day. It's cool going to a restaurant for Berber stuff - there's one called, imaginatively, Tanjine around the corner - but is it worth it to make at home? Anyone a fan?    

Me and the wife love the Arab/Middle Eastern cooking...also particularly fond of Ethiopian cuisine, which has some Arab roots.

Me and the wife love the Arab/Middle Eastern cooking...also particularly fond of Ethiopian cuisine, which has some Arab roots.

For sure. I dig the flavours, but you can replicate the recipes in a slow cooker, can't you? 

Then again, fiddling around with something different is pretty cool too... :thumbup: