Scott Spark 29 Elite Frame cracked 2 times

Sybrandt

Dissolved... by the WD40.... blame yourself please.

Personally I always service new bearings before installing them - especially suspension bearings - the more grease the better. I don't believe they come ex factory completely filled - and for a suspension bearing completely filled is best.

And that applies to a new out the box bike too - strip, clean and re-grease bearings - replace them if they are rough.

[/Quote] Of course I'm to blame, it's not like WD40 sprayed itself into the bearings :rolleyes:

Who killed the victim the gun or the shooter?

All I was saying, that spraying wd40 into bearings should not be a solution, just pointing out my errors so nobody else has to suffer the same fate, isn't that why we are here to impart knowledge & experiences?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you maintain the bearings then? The WD40 advice came from the mechanic at the LBS who claims it was told to him by the Scott Rep...

I service my own bike, so I remove the suspension links and swing the rear triangle without the shock attached, to see if the bearings are seized. I also listen carefully for any binding or grinding noise in each bearing. the best way is to place a screwdriver on each bearing and push the handle against your ear while you move the rear triangle. this way you can clearly hear if there is any grit in the bearing. If you hear anything there are 2 ways you can fix this.

1. check out the following link. But you will need to remove the bearing. I'm not a fan of this as I don't believe a bearing should be stripped and cleaned, but the manufacturer says it can be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io755VQhBm8

2. Buy new bearings and replace them. I do this every 3 - 4 months irrespective of what condition they in. You will need to get proper bearing pullers or make your own. they can be tapped out with a hammer and punch, but you run the risk of damaging the frame if it's not done properly. My frame is full carbon so I don't risk the hammer thingy I made my own pullers.

Also visit Enduro bearing website or check out their videos on youtube. I only use their bearings as they are designed for bikes I suppose you can save a few ronds at the local bearing shop, but if you work out the endure replacement cost in cents per km ridden its nothing.

Their suspension bearings don't have cages (MAX Range), but they have more ball bearings as they are designed to take higher loads from all the hits your suspension takes. whilst normal deep groove bearings with cages are designed for a certain load and high RPM. On a suspension the focus is on load as there is very little rotation

Edited by madmarc