ALPE D'HUEZ, ALL-TIME TOP 200 LIST

jcza

16. Sastre?

You reckon? CSC, Riis, Hamilton, Spanish, and he's a Tour de France winner?

I used to think so (that he was clean) after watching Overcoming (a doc on team CSC, still a good watch despite what we now know/think), but these days just a few too many red flags for me.

Each to their own though :thumbup:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You reckon? CSC, Riis, Hamilton, Spanish, and he's a Tour de France winner?

I used to think so (that he was clean) after watching Overcoming (a doc on team CSC, still a good watch despite what we now know/think), but these days just a few too many red flags for me.

Each to their own though :thumbup:

He never dominated and the TdF victory was a strange one, almost as if no one else wanted. Very difficult to call. Moncoutie was at Cofidis and they certainly had enough scandal there although I agree that he was the most likely "clean" rider from that team.

I was fortunate enough to ride it back in 2008 the day before the Tour arrived.

Took me at least twice as long as Pantani's best.

It was an incredible experience. The sheer number of people was amazing and they support all the riders punishing themselves. The "Dutch" area was the best - what seemed like a few hundred metres of orange, shouting, cheering and some even running (probably walking) next to me like I was one of the pro's.

Nice. Definately on the bucket list!

He never dominated and the TdF victory was a strange one, almost as if no one else wanted. Very difficult to call. Moncoutie was at Cofidis and they certainly had enough scandal there although I agree that he was the most likely "clean" rider from that team.

ye, but the Cofidis guys didn't get Moncoutie. It sounds very much like he couldn't be bothered to charge up. The guy was happy just to ride his bike. No entry for him whatsoever on dopeology. Also, Gaumont said he was clean.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Obviously nothing set in stone, but this was always the general feeling around the guy - for whatever reason... apparently never even a rumour about him in his whole career. I would like to think it's possible??

François Migraine of Cofidis said: "Everyone is more or less unanimous that David Moncoutié doesn't dabble [in drugs]. I would have 10 of him in the team if I could. He wins three races a year and he still manages to finish in the UCI's top 50. It goes to show that you don't have to dabble in drugs to have a career in cycling."[7]

When Cofidis was at the centre of a doping scandal in 2004, one of those at the centre of events, Philippe Gaumont, wrote that Moncoutie did not follow most riders in taking drugs

Very sad picture of the pro peloton.

Sad indeed. But it's surely a good thing though that todays riders barely crack that top 200?

Top 5 per year. Is it possible to break 40mins without doping? Sastre is the only name I can see that might be clean.

post-32242-0-54525500-1371104886_thumb.jpg

Top 5 per year. Is it possible to break 40mins without doping? Sastre is the only name I can see that might be clean.

You see Sastre's name sticking out there a bit on the right?

You see Sastre's name sticking out there a bit on the right?

Yip he took 2 mins out of them in 2008

Interesting read but what is more suspicious - Riis at 449 or Pantani at 446? Pantanis w/kg must be higher than anyone else.

Both doped to the eyeballs, but Riis (Mr 60%) must have been at least 5kgs + heavier than Pantani

I know you are a Sastre fan, but I can't find a name under 41.5/42minutes (apart from 3 I am not very knowledgeable on) that has not heavily been linked to or bust for doping at some stage :mellow: