ALPE D'HUEZ, ALL-TIME TOP 200 LIST

jcza

I know you are a Sastre fan, but I can't find a name under 41.5/42minutes (apart from 3 I am not very knowledgeable on) that has not heavily been linked to or bust for doping at some stage :mellow:

I'm giving Sastre the benefit of the doubt, however looking at his stats you are probably correct. Which 3 are you referring to?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm giving Sastre the benefit of the doubt, however looking at his stats you are probably correct. Which 3 are you referring to?

Madouas, Luc Leblanc and Jean-Francois Bernard... although I am sure a quick google might sort them out too :blush:

Madouas, Luc Leblanc and Jean-Francois Bernard... although I am sure a quick google might sort them out too :blush:

Leblanc is a doper but I'm not sure about the other 2.

Did some googling

Madouas tested positive during the 1994 Tirreno Adriatico and was suspended from racing for a month. The exact date of the positive is unknown, so incident date is given as the last day of racing.

Can't find anything on Bernard re doping

Did some googling

Madouas tested positive during the 1994 Tirreno Adriatico and was suspended from racing for a month. The exact date of the positive is unknown, so incident date is given as the last day of racing.

Can't find anything on Bernard re doping

JFB, the great under achiever of French cycling... maybe that's why. His TT win on Ventoux was awesome though in that classic '87 tour with Roche and Delgado.

JFB, the great under achiever of French cycling... maybe that's why. His TT win on Ventoux was awesome though in that classic '87 tour with Roche and Delgado.

Wasn't he supposed to be the next Hinault but suffered with illness and injuries?

Luc Leblanc dirty too - off Wiki - "After his retirement, in a trial against Richard Virenque in 2000, Leblanc admitted that he had been a cyclist that had used EPO to prepare for the Tour and the Vuelta"

I see the twitter rumour brigade have the knives at the ready for Froome if he "over-performs" on the Alpe... :whistling:

Read The Life and Death of Marco Pantani some time back. In it there is a table of his hematocrit levels. Off season he was testing around 39 to 41and just prior to the Tour he typically tested around 60 to 63. Apparently the tests were done on stored samples so not regarded as definitive but still gives an idea.

He was also known to consume as much as 5g of coke a day. Apparently pretty impressive for a little guy.

Read The Life and Death of Marco Pantani some time back. In it there is a table of his hematocrit levels. Off season he was testing around 39 to 41and just prior to the Tour he typically tested around 60 to 63. Apparently the tests were done on stored samples so not regarded as definitive but still gives an idea.

He was also known to consume as much as 5g of coke a day. Apparently pretty impressive for a little guy.

:D - Yeah the only thing Pantani wasn't on was his bicycle, well most of the time anyway as he would just hang his bike up for months at a time, and then still come back pretty strongly.

Nevertheless, I quite liked the little guy, he was a character of note, and I like that, Ullrich was another really, ate too many pork pies, rode his Porsche too fast, drank too much German Beer, Partied a bit too hard, basically he lived his life and enjoyed it off the bicycle, its rare today, I pretty much think the modern crop of riders are characterless machines,.......except Sagan of course :lol: , few would dare to go where he does, and with a smile!.

I see the twitter rumour brigade have the knives at the ready for Froome if he "over-performs" on the Alpe... :whistling:

Eish!

Watch those speed guns, Froome Dawg.

Edited by ' Dale

:D - Yeah the only thing Pantani wasn't on was his bicycle, well most of the time anyway as he would just hang his bike up for months at a time, and then still come back pretty strongly.

Nevertheless, I quite liked the little guy, he was a character of note, and I like that, Ullrich was another really, ate too many pork pies, rode his Porsche too fast, drank too much German Beer, Partied a bit too hard, basically he lived his life and enjoyed it off the bicycle, its rare today, I pretty much think the modern crop of riders are characterless machines,.......except Sagan of course :lol: , few would dare to go where he does, and with a smile!.

Lets not forget Tommetjie! He likes to party it up and also had the incident getting caught with the white stuff. Specialized had a flattish top tube on one of their SL models to make it easier for Tom to "kap 'n lyn" while training. He seems to half calmed down though

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Top 5 per year. Is it possible to break 40mins without doping? Sastre is the only name I can see that might be clean.

Almost no fast times after 2008,as far as I know this was the year the bio passport was introduced?

From what I have seen over the last 3 years or so nobody is getting close to the VAM and watts per kilogram figures of before 2008.

Must mean something...not saying they are clean but certainly not juiced up anymore.Moving in the right direction for sure....