Remedies to combat colds and/or airway infections

Snytjie

Hallo,

A while ago someone asked for advice to combat the onset of a cold a week or so before a race. I think it was on the 2013 Ironman 70.3 thread. Advice given by an experienced Hubber included drinking a cocktail of a few things. At the time I also tried it, and it worked very well. Due to the data loss here I cannot find that thread again.

Can someone maybe remember what it was, or is the OP still here? The coctail included Green Tea and Echinacea, but I cannot recall the other two ingredients...

Guest Latent Blue

Theres only a few things you can really actually do...

Stress less...

Drink water...

Sleep enough...

Stay out of the cold is the lesser of the three.

Thats it.

If you have it... its 7 days with meds, a week without it!

When training, wear a buff over your mouth and nose. Just breaking that icy cold air from hitting the lungs goes a helluva long way to not "knock" the system.

I've really been battling with the cold air affecting my lungs recently. If you can also try and breathe in through your nose. Warms the air up just that little bit more before it hits your lungs.

Buffs are the number 1 training aid in winter for my early morning runs and bikes. (and running tights, and thermal tops and a beanie ;) ) and gloves

2 shots Whiskey or Brandy

1 Shot Honey

1 **** Lemon Juice

Copious quantity Ginger. (Powdered)

Mix well, microwave till hot but not scolding.

Drink & immediately go to bed.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A "QUICK FIX". IT IS NOT INTENDED TO "TASTE NICE". THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEE. NO PERSON CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES THAT MIGHT OCCUR DUE TO WHATEVER REASON.

1 Shot Honey

1 **** Lemon Juice

PLEASE NOTE: THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A "QUICK FIX". IT IS NOT INTENDED TO "TASTE NICE". THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEE. NO PERSON CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES THAT MIGHT OCCUR DUE TO WHATEVER REASON.

Tried this before

Passed out for two hours

Felt the same as before

1 Shot Honey

1 **** Lemon Juice

I usually boil fresh ginger at night, squeeze in a lemon in the morning with a tablespoon of ginger in a water bottle. Mix boiling water into that and sip on it at the office. 2 or 3 times a week. I haven't been down with a cold for years. and when I have suffered a runny nose/chesty'ness or something I'm usually over it in 2-3 days.

Boil up water,freshly squeezed lemon juice,black pepper and salt to taste

Keep in the fridge and heat when required.Drink as a hot drink in the mornings

humidifier in the bedroom

teatree oil on the face

medlemon in the tum (or hot toddy)

viralguard on the ready.

Theres only a few things you can really actually do...

Stress less...

Drink water...

Sleep enough...

Stay out of the cold is the lesser of the three.

Thats it.

If you have it... its 7 days with meds, a week without it!

And don't forget the biggest best prevention method for contagious bugs is to avoid hand / face contact...

Keep your hands in your pockets, don't touch stuff that can be touched by other people i.e. escalator hand rails, door handles....don't rub your eyes and scratch :oops: your nose, wash those hands frequently and use disinfectant lotion on your hands (you know the stuff they sold at the height of the bird flu panic)

It is important to keep a strong immune system going. I work in the humanitarian aid and development world, which is in rural areas. We fly tons of fortified food to these rural areas and 1 product in particular - called ePap. You can get it at Dischem as well and it is way cheaper than any of the smartly branded stuff. It comes in a bright yellow packet. Drink it with milk, otherwise it tastes a bit rough :-)

Patients in rural areas who are co-infected with HIV/AIDS and TB can take their ARV treatment even when on a low CD count once they start taking ePap. I use it every day and have not had a cold or flu or any infection for the last 2 years. Same with my kids who also train hard and whose immune system is constantly taxed through it.

Obviously I also try to be sensible and follow the advise given in the posts above (except for the dopping :-) ).

LifeGain is something else that we take a few times a week.

When training, wear a buff over your mouth and nose. Just breaking that icy cold air from hitting the lungs goes a helluva long way to not "knock" the system.

Can second this. "Hairy", who does the Tableview - Cape Town commute nearly every morning pointed this out to me and it does seem to make a difference.

For me, the key is also to keep my ears warm. I get earache very quickly if the temp drops below 8 degrees.

I've been without a cold and a flu now for two seasons, and I don't drink a single pill, vitamin or supplement. This is what I do:

1) Shower hot each morning, and get yourself into warm, dry clothes ASAP.

2) Make sure you go to bed warm and that your feet and neck stays out of any draft.

3) When you train, have a hot shower immediately after. preferably at the gym / running club etc. don't wait until you get home

4) If you get a sore throat,wear a scarf - even if it makes you look like a moffie

5) If I do get sick, I don't drink any pills. That way the flu/cold develops into fever quite fast. Once you have fever, you lie in your bed for max 1 day and the increased body temperature helps to combat the illness. In my experience I've never been sick for more than 1 day if i let my body do the healing. With pills it can often drag out to a couple weeks of feeling shyte.

Edited by rudi-h

If you have a sore throat (especially at onset)...use a quater teaspoon of salt in a half or so cup of watre...

Gargle the crap out of it!!

It works everytime for me...salt just kills off the bacteria in the throat...

I've been without a cold and a flu now for two seasons, and I don't drink a single pill, vitamin or supplement. This is what I do:

1) Shower hot each morning, and get yourself into warm, dry clothes ASAP.

2) Make sure you go to bed warm and that your feet and neck stays out of any draft.

3) When you train, have a hot shower immediately after. preferably at the gym / running club etc. don't wait until you get home

4) If you get a sore throat,wear a scarf - even if it makes you look like a moffie

5) If I do get sick, I don't drink any pills. That way the flu/cold develops into fever quite fast. Once you have fever, you lie in your bed for max 1 day and the increased body temperature helps to combat the illness. In my experience I've never been sick for more than 1 day if i let my body do the healing. With pills it can often drag out to a couple weeks of feeling shyte.

Are there any medical evidence for this (points 1-4??)...I always thought this to be old wives tale??

C'mon docs from other thread.....give us a bit of Fee advice....see what i did with my typo??? :w00t: