Tyre recommendation please.

Big Wheel Cycles

Hi,

I've been very happy with Race King 2.2 (29er) for quite some time now. I can ride well with them on most surfaces including slightly wet/slippery and dry powdery on hard pack which can also be quite slippery sometimes. I'm happy with the RK on the back but I feel the front could have more grip when cornering. I'm quite an aggressive trail rider, so I would like a bit more confidence in the front while cornering. Another thing is I don't want to compromise on speed or weight, so switching to a heavier slower tire is not really what I'm looking for. I have tried a X King 2.2 on the front but it's way to slow and heavy for my liking. I am probably going to try a Specialized Fast Trak Control soon. How does the Fast Trak compare to the RK on the front? Recommendations and input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by BigWheelMTB

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the tyre you want is in production....there is always give and take

Fast rolling vs Grippy

Strong vs Light

Maybe Dugast tubbie? :whistling:

Have mostly heard good things about the fast track, it has a thin sidewall so keep that in mind. My combo at the moment is racing ralph snakeskin 2.25 front and racing ralph evo 2.25 back.

I ride rocky terrain and haven't had any issues with sidewall cuts. Very light combo and the racing ralph rolls nicely, not as fast as a raceking though. You could also try racing ralph snakeskin front and maxxis ikon rear for much longer lasting tread.

But as rouxtjie will say to you, snakeskin is a must, at least in the front for me, not as fat as he is ????

Have mostly heard good things about the fast track, it has a thin sidewall so keep that in mind. My combo at the moment is racing ralph snakeskin 2.25 front and racing ralph evo 2.25 back.

I ride rocky terrain and haven't had any issues with sidewall cuts. Very light combo and the racing ralph rolls nicely, not as fast as a raceking though. You could also try racing ralph snakeskin front and maxxis ikon rear for much longer lasting tread.

But as rouxtjie will say to you, snakeskin is a must, at least in the front for me, not as fat as he is

My butter combo is two ralphs snakeskin 2.25

They are everything enough, not brilliant at one thing but neither kuk

Tough enough

Light enough

Strong enough

Available enough

Grippy enough

Rolls enough

Seals enough

Beads enough

As for a tire vs the raceking, there are not a lot of tires that can wash out as easily as a raceking. Especially on loose over hard pack.

If you are interested I have a few almost new racing ralph snakekskins in the garage, pm me.

My butter combo is two ralphs snakeskin 2.25

They are everything enough, not brilliant at one thing but neither kuk

Tough enough

Light enough

Strong enough

Available enough

Grippy enough

Rolls enough

Seals enough

Beads enough

+1

Just a bit expensive.

I left that out on purpose....cheap enough...NOT

I score one every now and then, good to have friends who think if they

lose 1mm tread on the centre knobs it is time for a new one.

I currently have a RaceKing 2.2 (back) with X-King 2.4 (front) combo. Yes the X-king has a bit of a "heavier" roll, but the extra grip (and confidence) in the corners more than makes up for it.

My current set up is:-

DS bike -Front - Rocket Ron Snakeskin 2.25 Rear Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25 ( Only done one ride with Rocket Ron tyre so I can't comment on it)

SS bike - Front - Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.25 Rear Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2.25

I was a big fan of Conti tyres due to their durability and puncture resistance but I bought a bike with Racing Ralphs and I have really enjoyed the bigger volume and ride feel.

Our area is very rocky and we have had no issues with sidewall cuts.

Running Geax Mezcal front and a Geax Sangauro rear. They came with the bike. Previous toy had x-king front and raceking rear. Was initially sceptical but am so far quite impressed. Grip is pretty decent. Better than the x-king upfront...

Running Geax Mezcal front and a Geax Sangauro rear. They came with the bike. Previous toy had x-king front and raceking rear. Was initially sceptical but am so far quite impressed. Grip is pretty decent. Better than the x-king upfront...

Its just that they don't gel with stan's rims and they are moer heavy....

What rouxtjie said - Ralph front & rear for me. Will try Ron next (maybe)

Tried Conti & Geax didn't like it. Wanted to try ikon but everyone else I spoke to hated them.

Ralph for the win, front and back. Got 1500kms on the set ive got on now that did the epic with no issues and not one plug on either tyre.

What rouxtjie said - Ralph front & rear for me. Will try Ron next (maybe)

Tried Conti & Geax didn't like it. Wanted to try ikon but everyone else I spoke to hated them.

Are the Maxxis IKONs that bad? I just bought a set off CWC whilst on special - should I question using them? I was on Conti's before and must admit that the IKONs tread looks a lot "smaller"