Advise from going from 26er HT to 29er dually

Nick G

Just get on the bike, pedal it and enjoy yourself. Ride it as you would ride any other bike. Why does everything have to be a science on here?

Sorry! just annoyed -_- so I probably shouldn't even be posting

Edited by BogusOne

hey Cassie, Yeah - I have been chatting to some of the guys here at work that have 29er HT's and all say that the bigger wheels glide over small roots n branches etc, but that if I learn to bunny-hop a 29er it will never be a bad thing hehe

(I cracked the wrist on 1 of the spactacular dismounts at Majik Forest....classic "head-over-handlebars-feet-over head" type scenario....I put the laft arm out to "break" my fall (and face for that matter) but ended up cracking it big time)

Will see if I have the heart to do some mtb'ing soon as I am nervous that I will fall and once again crack the wrist. Thanks for the advise :thumbup:

Start out small dude!! No need for heroics...just enjoy the beautiful sport that MTB'ing is...

I've moved to a 29" DS from a 26" HT beginning last year. I've found that the 29er DS made me a bit of a "lazy rider" in that you do not really have to pick your lines as carefully as you would on the 26" HT - it is very forgiving (if that makes any sense).

Hey peeps!

I don't want to hi-jack the thread but maybe someone could just give me a quick answer. I'm 1.69m tall and I'm getting a 29er HT soon. The guy at my LBS said with Silverback I'll have to go with a small and in most other brands like Momsen a medium will be fine for me. So what I take from this is that the geometry of bikes differ? One 29er small isn't the same as another brand 29er?

Just get on the bike, pedal it and enjoy yourself. Ride it as you would ride any other bike. Why does everything have to be a science on here?

Sorry! just annoyed -_- so I probably shouldn't even be posting

Hey no worries...and yes, you are absolutely correct. TRUST me when I say I cant wait to do just THAT !!

Hey peeps!

I don't want to hi-jack the thread but maybe someone could just give me a quick answer. I'm 1.69m tall and I'm getting a 29er HT soon. The guy at my LBS said with Silverback I'll have to go with a small and in most other brands like Momsen a medium will be fine for me. So what I take from this is that the geometry of bikes differ? One 29er small isn't the same as another brand 29er?

Look for a 16"/17"/17.5" depending on the brand it could be (S, S/M, M), but it also depends on your leg length. I am 1.69 and ride 17", feels good to me, fits me fine. Also try different sizes and find one that feels comfortable for you. Only thing i struggled with was finding a store that had bikes my size for me to test ride and feel if it fits nice or not.

Hey peeps!

I believe so...however, i just went to LBS and sat on the bike...kicked its tyres a bit and bought it... :whistling:

Yes that's the problem, I've actually never been at a LBS where you can test drive 29ers to feel which one suits you (size and comfort). :wacko:

Hey peeps!

The same brands also differ in a model .Momsen carbon large is bigger than an alu large

Hey peeps!

Yes the Silverback frames are quite large. I'm 1.70m tall and with my Giant Anthem I was always between small and medium. I found my sweet spot on a Specialized medium. Look at the virtual top tube lengths and you will see the Specialized medium is between the small and medium of most other brands. It's great not wondering whether I've got the right size all the time because you don't need that doubt in your mind while riding.

Hey peeps!

I'm 1.65. Not so sure about 29er HT vs. 29er DS... but I went for 29er DS small. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a medium. Geometry does differ from bike to bike. Best is to go to the websites and study the geometry and test the bikes. But from what I've seen if you're under 1.7m a small is most likely the best option.

I'm 1.65. Not so sure about 29er HT vs. 29er DS... but I went for 29er DS small. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a medium. Geometry does differ from bike to bike. Best is to go to the websites and study the geometry and test the bikes. But from what I've seen if you're under 1.7m a small is most likely the best option.

I am also less tall. My biggest problem was to find a bike with a suitable stand over height.

Still cannot get my head around that .....

Me neither, it's physically impossible for a HT to be as comfortable as a dual, the rear suspension is designed to keep the rear wheel on the ground. What does this on a HT? Oh yeah, I remember now, nothing. You just bounce around.

Ja sorry, all relative to how low the tire pressure is, what HT frame you ride, what DS frame you are comparing it to, what tire the DS have at the back, what pressure it is run and the pressure of the rear can.

My HT is soft as butter oom :thumbup: .

Edit: was referring to comfort.

It appears you have never ridden a properly set up dual if you think your hard tail is as smooth as a dual.

Me neither, it's physically impossible for a HT to be as comfortable as a dual, the rear suspension is designed to keep the rear wheel on the ground. What does this on a HT? Oh yeah, I remember now, nothing. You just bounce around.

It appears you have never ridden a properly set up dual if you think your hard tail is as smooth as a dual.

Never said it is.

Ridden a santa cruz tallboy, giant anthem, and a specialized epic. SC was like riding on a cloud. Extremely nice bike but trail orientated. Anthem was something in the middle, much softer than the HT I ride but also a lot slower in certain conditions. Specialized was hard, front brain and rear brain made it feel more like a HT than a DS.

"a 29er HT will come close to a DS"

That is like saying a 80mm reba will come close to a 120mm reba with regards to how soft they ride. But I mentioned that the 120mm reba I road was pumped up to high pressure, and the 80mm reba I ride, is running low pressure. They can both give the same amount travel, it just depends on which pressures they are.

Edited by wheelerdealer