Make Hope free hub quieter, anyone actually done it?

Skylark

Never ever use CV joint grease as it has particles in it and will eventually ruin your free hub.

Nope - should have no particles in it that you can feel at all - typical they have Molybdenum disulphide in them - that works as a lubricant - and makes the grease black.

CV grease should never have particles in that you can feel - unless you have a torn CV boot and you get dirt in the grease.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm sounds interesting, are DTswiss hubs almost as bullet proof as Hopes?

And are they really that silent, like the cheap Shimano freehubs are virtually noise free?

American classic. Mine is probably a few years old now, and still as good as new. Freehub body with the steel inserts stay free of big insert marks. And they are quiet. Sounds more like a diesel vs the v12 of the hopes.

Edited by wheelerdealer

I tried the grease technique this arvi, works like a charm, for how long it will last I don't know.

But damn it reminds me how I like a silent freehub, feels like you floating over the ground, definitely makes me remember the same feeling I had as a kid when riding bike - Love it!!

So every hub I have had up to these Hope Pro II were almost dead silent, most of them if not all were entry level Shimano alivio or Deore, why are the hopes so loud?

Just stronger pawl springs or more Pawls and stronger pawl springs?

Shimano entry level freebodies only have 2 pawls apparently?

Never particularly noticed better or worse engagement on those hubs compared to the Hopes

And a technique I found on google that helps quieten the Hopes is to reduce the pawl spring tension by bending them slightly flatter - that must be the answer, albeit doing it careful so there still is enough spring tension.

Edited by Skylark

Just got back from a 20km ride, hub is virtually 100% silent, no chainsuck at all and no slipping on engage. Not sure how long it will last but maybe what I used helped:

A drop of chainlube on each shaft the individual pawls pivot on then I packed the hub full of Yamalube waterproof blue grease and then slowly pushed on the free body letting the excess grease squeeze out.

Learnt how kif it is to service your own bike, I put never-seize copper paste on the external free body splines, my piecemeal cheapie cassette came off the aluminum hub with no issues, was a little amount of ease it bit by bit but not like the last time when the previous owner fitted the original cassette bone dry that and almost seized onto the splines.

• 2 weeks later...

After 60km the bees are back....

Was nice when it lasted, is definitely an advantage being noisy from the perspective of warning everyone that you are coming through, pedestrians don't leap out of the way 10m in advance without the bees

Saw a downhill lighty looking at my bike the other day and say to his mate "what the hell is the point of a Hope hub up front...it's not like it makes a noise or anything". Had to chuckle at that.

Just got back from a 20km ride, hub is virtually 100% silent, no chainsuck at all and no slipping on engage. Not sure how long it will last but maybe what I used helped:

A drop of chainlube on each shaft the individual pawls pivot on then I packed the hub full of Yamalube waterproof blue grease and then slowly pushed on the free body letting the excess grease squeeze out.

Learnt how kif it is to service your own bike, I put never-seize copper paste on the external free body splines, my piecemeal cheapie cassette came off the aluminum hub with no issues, was a little amount of ease it bit by bit but not like the last time when the previous owner fitted the original cassette bone dry that and almost seized onto the splines.

I hate to tell you but your previous owner was absolutely right. Nothing should go on the freehub body. There are no seizing issues there at all. None. Never.

What you think is seize is actually spline bite. That's when the cassette cuts into the freehub body (if it is made of alu). No amount of copperslip will prevent that.

It is awful to work on bikes where everything that needn't be greased, is greased.

The noise is actually just a freewheel alarm to remind you to start peddling again.

Peddling is not advised, in fact you can land in jail for that!

After 60km the bees are back....

Was nice when it lasted, is definitely an advantage being noisy from the perspective of warning everyone that you are coming through, pedestrians don't leap out of the way 10m in advance without the bees

AAAH ! at last somebody is making sense !Have hope hubs!.Will get more! .Red ones this time