Make Hope free hub quieter, anyone actually done it?

Skylark

I have done it - more grease in the ratchet mechanism on the splines - there are 2 issues:

1 - it does help, but its temporary

2 - too much grease and the freehub drags when you freewheel, and then you get chainsuck - it's a fine line...

YMMV....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope pro 2 ;)

Mmm something fishy about this offer.....

Ok now please all you **** stirrers please bugger off.

I actually do want to quieten my hope hubs and would be very grateful if anyone who has tried it could give me a heads up on how to do it.

It can be done, I'm not expecting perfect peace just a subduing of the volume

I have a set of bright red ones for sale. Well even give you hub discount ;)

awesome. hub discount on hub... i may need to borrow your tool again.

It's unrealistic to expect to be able to quieten them. Extra grease will make them less audible, but still pretty loud.

Edit: removing 2 pawls will make them sound softer

Edited by yazzo

awesome. hub discount on hub... i may need to borrow your tool again.

Small but effective ;)

1250 and the hubs are yours :)

Mmm something fishy about this offer.....

Ok now please all you **** stirrers please bugger off.

I actually do want to quieten my hope hubs and would be very grateful if anyone who has tried it could give me a heads up on how to do it.

It can be done, I'm not expecting perfect peace just a subduing of the volume

Pop the end cap off, pull off freehub (don't lose the spacer), add grease on the splines at the hub side, and around the spring loaded pawls.

reinstall freehub, endcap, and test your freewheeling - if the freehub is sticky - remove some grease.

Takes 5 minutes or less the second time you do it - lasts about 30km... then starts to get back to what it was.

I have the SS version and the end caps are very tight, tried pulling them off before but couldn't budge them. Any advice? Can I leave the bolts in or should I take them out? (tried both before, no movement)

I have done it - more grease in the ratchet mechanism on the splines - there are 2 issues:

1 - it does help, but its temporary

2 - too much grease and the freehub drags when you freewheel, and then you get chainsuck - it's a fine line...

YMMV....

That's about it but I heard you need to use some special grease that's less viscous than the typical grease you would use

It's unrealistic to expect to be able to quieten them. Extra grease will make them less audible, but still pretty loud.

Edit: removing 2 pawls will make them sound softer

But will removing 2 pawls put undue strain on the remaining pawls?

Honestly, one of the reasons for buying Hope is that its loud!

squirt some silicone into the freehub pawls.

Honestly, one of the reasons for buying Hope is that its loud!

squirt some silicone into the freehub pawls.

Fishtank silicone or the black "car" silicone? :eek:

Yes but at least you'll have 2 spare if they break.

I've packed mine with marine grease and can only tell they're a little softer riding with someone else who has hope hubs too! So they're still gonna be pretty loud bottom line.

Edit: best advice, keep pedaling, they're awful quiet then!

Edited by yazzo

I have the SS version and the end caps are very tight, tried pulling them off before but couldn't budge them. Any advice? Can I leave the bolts in or should I take them out? (tried both before, no movement)

Compare the parts diagrams against the normal hub to see if there is any theoretical thing holding it (I have never tried on the SS version, but:

On the non SS version

Vice... cover the jaws with tape, hold the endcap in the jaws, and yank the wheel - it's just an o ring seal holding it - lube the seal when re-installing and it will come out easier next time.

Compare the parts diagrams against the normal hub to see if there is any theoretical thing holding it (I have never tried on the SS version, but:

On the non SS version

Vice... cover the jaws with tape, hold the endcap in the jaws, and yank the wheel - it's just an o ring seal holding it - lube the seal when re-installing and it will come out easier next time.

That's what I was thinking, thanks!

That's about it but I heard you need to use some special grease that's less viscous than the typical grease you would use

I have tried Belray and Mototrex grease - they are about a 2 on the scale of grease viscosity.... so pretty light grease, and the hopetech recommended viscosity - I think heavier grease might make the chainsuck issue worse (although it may well be quieter) - you could try cheap CV joint grease - Midas has it - dirty black s..t - use surgical gloves instead of trying to clean it off your hands...

In use, when freewheeling - the pawls 'knock' the grease out of the ratchet splines to some extent, and then it gets noisy again over time.

Still does not get as silent as I would like - not even close to my DTswiss hubs near silent operation.