enduro race format

rudi-h

So I get that enduro is somewhere halfway between DH and XCO and you preferably need some skills, flat pedals and a 6" travel bike...

but what's the format of these races. How far? How long? How does the timing work? Is it a mass start / individual start? How fit should you be etc.?

anyone out there wanna explain to us normal trail riders how this works?

Guest Latent Blue

*bump up*

I'd also really like to know!!!

In SA, Enduro is somewhat of a different sport, for the moment.

We just don't have the same terrain as the Europeans / Americans do, with their huge elevations etc.

However:

It's an individual start, with gaps of approximately 20 - 30 seconds between riders. Generally a total f about 25km, with 5 to 10 km of actual "timed" stages. Don't get me wrong, even though it's "only" 25 km, you are DOG tired by the end of it. It really is a full body workout!

It's fun, hard and so rad. But you don't "need" a 6" AM bike. You can get away with a 120mm travel xc / trail bike. Heck, Johann Potgieter rode the last one on an SS Jump Bike, and he didn't do too badly! Sure, a longer travel bike will be more comfortable, but it's not essential.

In SA, Enduro is somewhat of a different sport, for the moment.

We just don't have the same terrain as the Europeans / Americans do, with their huge elevations etc.

However:

It's an individual start, with gaps of approximately 20 - 30 seconds between riders. Generally a total f about 25km, with 5 to 10 km of actual "timed" stages. Don't get me wrong, even though it's "only" 25 km, you are DOG tired by the end of it. It really is a full body workout!

It's fun, hard and so rad. But you don't "need" a 6" AM bike. You can get away with a 120mm travel xc / trail bike. Heck, Johann Potgieter rode the last one on an SS Jump Bike, and he didn't do too badly! Sure, a longer travel bike will be more comfortable, but it's not essential.

so what does "5 to 10 km of actual timed stages" mean? Does that mean you only get timed for certain sections of the 25km? What does a "stage" mean in a 25 km ride? how do they prevent congestion? 20 - 30 second start intervals on 25km isn't that much

please share some experiences, not just the rules. other than dirtopia, who else hosts these events and where are they?

so what does "5 to 10 km of actual timed stages" mean? Does that mean you only get timed for certain sections of the 25km? What does a "stage" mean in a 25 km ride? how do they prevent congestion? 20 - 30 second start intervals on 25km isn't that much

please share some experiences, not just the rules. other than dirtopia, who else hosts these events and where are they?

Mankele does one I think

The timed stages are sections of a trail, typically downhill. In between these stage start points you can ride as slow as you like, stop for lunch, do what you like. Once you decide to start though, you're timed until the finish of that stage. The last event the stages were between 2 and 6 minutes long. Your stage times are added together to give your overall time.

It is very similar to car rallying, where the special stages are the only thing that counts.

The starts aren't co-ordinated. You can start whenever you're ready. So if you think you're going to catch the guy that has just gone before you, you can just wait an extra minute before your start. If you want to follow your mate because he has mad skillz and you want to copy his lines, then you can start immediately after him.

We rode some of the Karkloof Enduro trails this weekend. Was only 29kms but with 1100m of climbing. Bugger me, but if you aren't stuffed after that...

One of the last downhill sections was 'The Gauntlet' where you drop down several steep boardwalks, G-out at the bottom and up the otherside, some into a bermed corner. A few of them one after the other... Unfortunately the legs just don't seem to want to hold you up at the end of a long ride, which made controlling the bike at speed quite interesting....

You should have seen the gauntlet at the Stihl Karkloof Enduro. It was the same but covered with about 2 inches of soft slippery mud.

You should have seen the gauntlet at the Stihl Karkloof Enduro. It was the same but covered with about 2 inches of soft slippery mud.

Yeah, I was supposed to be there. Saw it on Supersport last night :eek: