What TV shows are you watching?

FrankG

I've never given a 10/10, but I rated Band of Brothers a 9/10 and therefore I feel I have to give Southland the same. It has the same feel: A strong cast and very good story-telling that shows you what happened without trying to tell you how you should feel about it.

None of the characters are perfect but all of them are trying to do a very tough job under difficult conditions, so I ended up empathising even with the unsympathetic characters.

Also, like Band of Brothers, I can't watch too many episodes in a row. There is some humour (typical black, grim cop humour) but after a couple of episodes I need some relief, something lighter just to take a break. But inevitably I get drawn back...

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never given a 10/10, but I rated Band of Brothers a 9/10 and therefore I feel I have to give Southland the same. It has the same feel: A strong cast and very good story-telling that shows you what happened without trying to tell you how you should feel about it.

None of the characters are perfect but all of them are trying to do a very tough job under difficult conditions, so I ended up empathising even with the unsympathetic characters.

Also, like Band of Brothers, I can't watch too many episodes in a row. There is some humour (typical black, grim cop humour) but after a couple of episodes I need some relief, something lighter just to take a break. But inevitably I get drawn back...

Oh yes..I also gave BOB a 9... That's about as close as you can get to a 10. I'm more of a WW2 nut than a war in general nut... But I'll give it a go anyway.. You have successfully endorsed it!

Watched S01E01 of Sacred Steel Bikes last night. I think I am going to enjoy the show. I really like that style of build. Not a fan of the theme bikes like OCC etc.... 

Trying to find a source for Philly Throttle as well. Not having too much luck though..... Shows up on Exodus/Phoenix/Good Fellas but then tells me that there are no streams available.....

Intriguing end to the latest season of Man in the High Castle. The presentation of the Reich's ambitions are both interesting and horrifying compared with the american hope which seems uncouth and borne from youthful arrogance. The presentation of the japs is by far the most unsavoury. The possible origin of these films, which both the japs and the nazis covet as much as the american resistance, has come into focus somewhat, and its rather unexpected given the period in which the series is set.

I haven't read the book, so idea where this is going. given that the series is 'loosely based' on the novel, might mean the stories diverge significantly.

Intriguing end to the latest season of Man in the High Castle. The presentation of the Reich's ambitions are both interesting and horrifying compared with the american hope which seems uncouth and borne from youthful arrogance. The presentation of the japs is by far the most unsavoury. The possible origin of these films, which both the japs and the nazis covet as much as the american resistance, has come into focus somewhat, and its rather unexpected given the period in which the series is set.

I haven't read the book, so idea where this is going. given that the series is 'loosely based' on the novel, might mean the stories diverge significantly.

Been wondering about watching this

Finished the OA and thoroughly enjoyed it. Brit marling has a new fan. Incredible writing and acting. The ending was beautifully left open for interpretation.

Been wondering about watching this

Watch it. Fair warning, it can be a bit of a drag IMO. I'm more an action jackson type of viewer, but in hindsight, the character development is important later on, and gives the series quite some dramatic depth. Warning #2: culmination of arcs is swift!

Finished the OA and thoroughly enjoyed it. Brit marling has a new fan. Incredible writing and acting. The ending was beautifully left open for interpretation.

i genuinely liked the show. it was fresh, and very captivating. Such a good story was told. (I think i've said that before!)

I read an article which explored the outrage the ending generated in the USA. To avoid spoilers, i'll have to refer to the storyline somewhat obliquely: the outrage stems from teh fact the ending was aired round about the anniversary of the Sandy Hook tragedy. Some nerves were struck, and outrage was broadcast. The article tried to counterbalance the outrage by saying that was not the intent of the that scene in the ending, but that it should rather be interpreted as how much worse was averted by the collective effort of essentially a bunch of misfits. 

That aside, you are right: the ending is open to broad interpretation. I've watched another of Brit Marling's movies, Another Earth. It wasn't as evocative as The OA, but again, intriguing story telling.

I watched another earth because of Peter poselthwaite... And was pleased to realise after the fact that she was intimately involved in that... Also enjoyed that though

Ag nooit.. this last episode of Vikings had me flippen balling my eyes out..

be6a1b5430113287c26ed59b2fe35a3c.jpg

Edited by Gen

Ag nooit.. this last episode of Vikings had me flippen balling my eyes out..

be6a1b5430113287c26ed59b2fe35a3c.jpg

Mmmm.. Still got to watch the second half of the season... No spoilers please

Mmmm.. Still got to watch the second half of the season... No spoilers please

Aaaw. Okay sorry no spoilers then.

Hahaha! I keep weird hours. Start work at 4. Finish at noon. Do "soccer mom" duties till about 5 in the afternoons, so no time for telly really. There is a TV at my place, but it's not connected to anything. There is a DVD player but my eldest son took it apart for some reason, and neglected to put it back together!

Hahaha! I keep weird hours. Start work at 4. Finish at noon. Do "soccer mom" duties till about 5 in the afternoons, so no time for telly really. There is a TV at my place, but it's not connected to anything. There is a DVD player but my eldest son took it apart for some reason, and neglected to put it back together!