Dirt bike and quad bike riders in Magalies.

Mojoman

I have recently started riding on the 'other side' of Magalies as we have moved to town, I have spent the last 10 years out in the Hekpoort side of Magalies.

I can't believe the amount of irresponsible riders on dirt bikes and quads that race up and down on the brickwork road (road coming into Magalies from the Maropeng road, which is going to be tarred now anyway so hopefull that will end) and along the various dirt roads in the area such as Koesterfontein and out along the railway lines and even on the main road through town!

So be warned if you are on the dirt roads (and the tar roads!) in and around Magalies on weekends!

Thing is they are pretty much just out doing the same we are on MTB's just motorized and also getting 'squeezed' for place to ride.

Round here in the deep south I find them pretty friendly and accomodating and will (as long as they see you quick enough of course) give you lots of space to pass, quads even going right off the track if necessary ....

Gee maar elke ou sy plekkie in die son ouens ;)

We have a similar sutuation here in KZN. Westmead in particular is getting really over crowded. If you don't want to ride at Giba, the trails in the valley are gnarly and will test most people's technical skills. We as MTB'ers have the advantage of being able to hear the bikes and quads coming. If you do, just pull over and let them through. You will either get a wave of thanks or they will stop and tell you how crazy you are! Normally ends in a nice chat.

Its just a case of " ons het net een speelplek so ons almal deel maar"

took my dogs for a walk across from rietvlei yesterday and drove up the gravel path towards sharondale and was closely followed by 2 MTB'ers. felt sorry for them being in my dust but what to do. Do I stop and wait for them to pass and then catch up with them and wait again or do I speed up and bounce around my dogs and miss the peacefull drive we are having? Or do I just continue and have them continue. Luckily I let them pass and they turned off soon afterwards.

My wife and I can hear bikes on the blockhouse route but bikes on the blockhouse route cant hear us. Doesn't make them wrong. When we hear them we hang left and get off the trail and let them pass. Easy for both parties. I used to ride that route on a rm250 and a yfz450 and there is nothing worse than finding a jogger or cyclist that does not want you to pass them. I go around them if I know they are there but coming around a bend you cannot see or hear them but they can hear you, so in my mind they should move?