ZTR Olympic to ZTR Flow rebuild

TheDoc

Thats a very good question. Im considering swapping from Arch rims to flows, it would be much cheaper if I could use the same spokes, i think new nipples might be a good idea though.

I'm sure JB can enlighten us.

-edit- Im a bit slow on the keyboard :)

29-er Arch has an ERD of 607 and

29-er Flow has an ERD of 603..

Your spokes will be far too long if you from Arch to Flow.

Edited by Johan Bornman

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This IS the guy from Yellow Saddle!

:drool: Got caught red handed giving you guys a punt!!!!!! |does that qualify me for a discount on my next wheel build :whistling:

:drool: Got caught red handed giving you guys a punt!!!!!! |does that qualify me for a discount on my next wheel build :whistling:

Of course, I always pay my PR agents. Besides, we have a 30% discount on Shimano at the moment.

Edited by Johan Bornman

I have Industry 9 hubs with I9 spokes and 26" Crest rims, which are a bit soft. Is it possible to 'swop' the crests for ArchEX without having to buy new spokes...? I9 spokes are damn expensive, and as far as I know/can see, I have to run I9 spokes with these hubs as they aren't normal J bend...

Edited by MTBaaisikilist

29-er Arch has an ERD of 607 and

29-er Flow has an ERD of 603..

Your spokes will be far too long if you from Arch to Flow.

Can the spokes be snipped and knurled by that elegant machine of yours?

If you get brass ones and you currently have alu nipples then you would need new spokes as the threads are cut differently.

Where do you get that from?

Spokes are spokes and nipples are nipples.

No.

Then some one was telling me a taaaaalllllll storey and I need to pay that person a visit again

Where do you get that from?

Spokes are spokes and nipples are nipples.

*** advice was given to me by someone usually very reliable at the bike shop.

So don't *** me out.......;)

Can the spokes be snipped and knurled by that elegant machine of yours?

Yes, but imagine the trouble taking that wheel apart. Since the spokes are already used, you can't swap outbound and inbound spokes. Thus, you have to strip the wheel, keeping left left and left right separate, as with right left and right right.

Then you have to cut and thread each one and rebuild the wheel. Most people don't want to pay me for doing that, thinking it happens automatically and for free.

I have Industry 9 hubs with I9 spokes and 26" Crest rims, which are a bit soft. Is it possible to 'swop' the crests for ArchEX without having to buy new spokes...? I9 spokes are damn expensive, and as far as I know/can see, I have to run I9 spokes with these hubs as they aren't normal J bend...

Yes, the ERD is 607mm in both cases. A simple rim transplant can be done. But why bother, break the Crests first.

Yes, the ERD is 607mm in both cases. A simple rim transplant can be done. But why bother, break the Crests first.

The rear is wobbling a bit. I'll buckle it properly then I'll come see you.

• 1 year later...

Pulled the trigger yesterday on the ZTR Flow EX rims. Took my ZTR Olympic wheelset to CWC and booked in for the rebuild.

Today I got a call from CWC informing me that I will need new spokes and nipples as the spokes are 4mm too short. All the calculators I used, showed a 1mm variance between the two rims, no matter what lace configuration used.

Needless to say I will now be a further +-R1000 out of pocket.

Peeved I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pulled the trigger yesterday on the ZTR Flow EX rims. Took my ZTR Olympic wheelset to CWC and booked in for the rebuild.

Today I got a call from CWC informing me that I will need new spokes and nipples as the spokes are 4mm too short. All the calculators I used, showed a 1mm variance between the two rims, no matter what lace configuration used.

Needless to say I will now be a further +-R1000 out of pocket.

Peeved I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you will have a lekker set of wheels!

Edited by Spokey