Cassette Deore vs. SLX

Alouette3

When replacing my 10 speed cassette, how much difference is there in performance and shifting between the Deore and SLX. I know there is a weight saving but for the rest?

I know some people go for lower range products as they sometimes last longer, this is at least true with the XTR vs XT

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go SLX.....shiftiing is the same but the weight adds up. SLX lasts forever...if youre running XT def SLX

Nah, Alouette, go for Deore, or even the bargain basement HG50 or whatever it is. The difference in weight is negligible (and I mean negligible) but they're made of steel instead of aluminium. Last far longer, and they're far cheaper as well.

There is NO difference in shifting performance between them. Solely weight saving / bling factor.

Currently got SLX all round except for a SRAM chain.

Having problems with my rear shifting, so need to narrow down the problem... shifters, cable, housing, cassette, chain

Currently got SLX all round except for a SRAM chain.

Having problems with my rear shifting, so need to narrow down the problem... shifters, cable, housing, cassette, chain

best route is to change cassette & chain together. Also, don't buy the most expensive chain. Just an SRAM PC950 will do nicely. Generally the first things to go...

If you're having problems with the actual shifting of your gears, it could be down to any number of reasons. There may be no need to replace bits of your drivetrain at all!

What exactly are the "problems" you are having?

If you are struggling to get into a gear, or stay in that gear, the problem is more likely to be in the shifting mechanism. The indexing may be off, the cable housing pulled through, the B-screw need adjusting, or your derailleur may be worn/bent. Some more details of the exact "problems" might help with this diagnosis :)

These problems may also indicate a worn cassette/chain. However, if the chain is "slipping" while you are in gear, this is a clearer indication of a worn chain/cassette.

Guest Latent Blue

This is very poor advice.

Let us hear what is better advice (according to you) then...?

I may be wrong but if you change your chain before it is badly worn you should be able to re use the cassette

+1

Change chain before it lengthens by 0.5%.

Edited by Sniffie

You can get up to 4 chains per cassette.... change your chain before its to far worn and your cassettte will last much longer.... your cassette only wears when you are running a worn chain on it...

Also, about the deore cassette, if the freewheel hub on your wheel is an aluminium one, the deore cassettes bigger cogs will cut into it. The deore cassettes have seperate cogs on the big ones. the XT has the big ones on a carrier which spreads the load on the alu free hub... Deore cassettes are designed to run on steal free hub bodies.

Dont get me wrong.... the deore cassettes last and shift beautifully, but they can chow into an alu freehub..

Edited by Bat-ass

I had the same issues, I went ss because of this and will seriously not put gears back on. Do it.

When I shift up to an easier gear it doesn't always drop onto the cog it just continues on the same gear, so I need to shift up 2 positions at times and then shift on down.On the extreme high and low couple gears it was fine. I tried doing the setup again from the start but now its worse.

I picked up some new cable and casing today so will try that.

As for the cassette it will be the last resort, posted this thread just as a matter or interest for future reference. I checked the chain for stretch and its out by maybe 1mm over 12inchs, so within limits (3mm?? 1/8 inch).

The derailleur is only 2 months old or so, SLX 10 Shadow +.

My shifting has always been a bit stiff, even on my previous XT non + version, not sure why this is and the privious owner did say this when I bought the bike in November last year. 2012 Giant Trance X2