Cassette Deore vs. SLX

Alouette3

The cabling could be part of the problem, but then so could the derailleur setting at the back. I don't know enough but to tell you to fiddle and fiddle and fiddle with the settings until it comes right. I know what to do, but not how to explain it...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed my chain, redid my derailleur limit setup, replaced the inner gear cable and the rear 2 sections of housing and all is shifting perfectly on the bench. Shifting is also much lighter now :thumbup:

Also removed a link from the chain as it was a little slack, looks like its length was big cog to big cog + 3 links and not + 2. Might be why I was having problems with dropping the chain till I put on the clutch unit.

Thanks for the input guys.

Interesting point made on the Deore steel cassettes biting into the aluminium freewheel hub. Anyone else experienced this?

Why do you say so, JB? Please, for future posts, expand when you just make blanket statements like that...

I have corrected this old myth and its multiple variations so often that I wrote a FAQ on it. Since the Hub doesn't have FAQs, it is pinned under Everything You Need to Know about Chains (or something like that). Do some reading and arm yourself for dealing with those issues.

dropping the chain till I put on the clutch unit.

Interesting point made on the Deore steel cassettes biting into the aluminium freewheel hub. Anyone else experienced this?

Of course, this is extremely common.

post-1761-0-22287800-1372003607_thumb.jpg

So common that some companies offer a steel freehub body as an alternative but of course, no-one goes for this since it is supposedly too heavy.

American Classic has a patent for steel inserts that I think is pretty nifty. Even the weight weenies should like it.

post-1761-0-18879700-1372003497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johan Bornman

So common that some companies offer a steel freehub body as an alternative but of course, no-one goes for this since it is supposedly too heavy.

American Classic has a patent for steel inserts that I think is pretty nifty. Even the weight weenies should like it.

That is pretty clever - Stop the cassette eating into the rest of the splines and probably weighs 2g

Removed my chain, redid my derailleur limit setup, replaced the inner gear cable and the rear 2 sections of housing and all is shifting perfectly on the bench. Shifting is also much lighter now :thumbup:

Also removed a link from the chain as it was a little slack, looks like its length was big cog to big cog + 3 links and not + 2. Might be why I was having problems with dropping the chain till I put on the clutch unit.

If it is still not right then you want to check your hanger alignment

post-18048-0-53708600-1372003738_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-22287800-1372003607_thumb.jpg

Is this eating into splines a result of under tightening the cassette nut?

That is pretty clever - Stop the cassette eating into the rest of the splines and probably weighs 2g

I was hoping you wouldn't point that out. Now the weight weenies are in a conundrum.

No, it is the torque from the cassette. If you don't pedal, it won't happen.

No, its just as a result of the torque of the pedal power on an individual cogs.

Where does one get these? I have just replaced my xx cluster and opted for a cheaper version in lue if paying the big bucks...did not think about this though...bugger. How much damage does it actually cause?

If it is still not right then you want to check your hanger alignment

Had the same problem a while ago and in the end the hanger was bent.

As for the casette question, replaced my xt 10sp casette with slx casette recently and both weigh exactly the same, 360g to be exact, dont know why there is a price difference?

Where does one get these? I have just replaced my xx cluster and opted for a cheaper version in lue if paying the big bucks...did not think about this though...bugger. How much damage does it actually cause?

They are on every new American Classic hub. The freehud body is proprietary and won't fit on others. With Hope you can buy a stainess steel freehub body and some others like Chris King also offer steel/stainless bodies. No-one else can do what AC did unless the patent is licensed to them.

It causes a huge amount of damage. Sometimes you cannot even get the old cassette off without two chain whips to turn it backwards. Not only does it cause damage, but it goes together with a whole lot of creaking. Campagnolo solved the problem back in the 1990s when they first went to alu, but making deep splines. Shimano underestimated the future with weight weenies and had shallow splines, which worked fine on steel but not on alu. Now they've tried to reverse the tide with new splines on Dura Ace but I'm afraid it is too late. The whole world copied those faulty splines.

They are on every new American Classic hub. The freehud body is proprietary and won't fit on others. With Hope you can buy a stainess steel freehub body and some others like Chris King also offer steel/stainless bodies. No-one else can do what AC did unless the patent is licensed to them.

It causes a huge amount of damage. Sometimes you cannot even get the old cassette off without two chain whips to turn it backwards. Not only does it cause damage, but it goes together with a whole lot of creaking. Campagnolo solved the problem back in the 1990s when they first went to alu, but making deep splines. Shimano underestimated the future with weight weenies and had shallow splines, which worked fine on steel but not on alu. Now they've tried to reverse the tide with new splines on Dura Ace but I'm afraid it is too late. The whole world copied those faulty splines.

Bugger..I have ztr hubs..pretty sure it's Alu...just replaced the cluster 2 days ago..would you recommend I fork out the bucks and get the xx cluster before it does any damage?

Edited by Stretch

Bugger..I have ztr hubs..pretty sure it's Alu...just replaced the cluster 2 days ago..would you recommend I fork out the bucks and get the xx cluster before it does any damage?

You want to buy a R2.5k cassette to fix a R500 problem? Hell no. Besides, I think the ZTR hub is just a licensed AC hub. You may have to retrofit the AC freehub body. Someone, please pose a pic of the ZTR freehub innards so we can decide.