Sungardens Carousel Classic 2013

Butterbean

Got wet, got dry, got wet again and as I put my bike back in the car, the sun came out in all its glory.

Started in DL on my 29er and basically did a 110km time-trial on my own to finish in 3:23.

That is quite something with all the wind, on such a monster bike.

Well done :thumbup:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big up to Championchip. The got the results loaded just after lunch on the same day. I was even on the results, which was not always the case on the racetec results in the past.

Even got a congratulatory SMS early on Friday afternoon.

I think the race could have done with some better organizing though. Seeding was bit of a mess. A friend of mine was seeded in the B-bunch after getting second place in the A-bunch for the same race last year. I, entered on the line and could choose in which group I wanted to start, which evidently caused some slower inexperienced riders to cause some problems in the higher start groups. I also lost my water bottle in the first part of the race, and was met with an un-manned water point on the 55km mark. Despite the rain, wind and solo time trialling the race was still great though. Just think the organizers need to be made aware of some of the issues of Friday.

I bonked in a major way at about 70km, and limped home 20min after the group I was with. Any way, nice race to get the season kicked off on.

Nice to meet you bmw1za.

Was there a timing mat at the halfway point where we turned around? Sure I saw a couple of riders turn around halfway up the hill.

bmw1za - what kit were you in?

Was there a timing mat at the halfway point where we turned around? Sure I saw a couple of riders turn around halfway up the hill.

I don't think there was a timing mat. I did notice an increase in the number of marshals approaching the turn around. A timing mat would be better to stop any cheats.

Definitely no timing mats at the turn. Just a damn cone...

Could have a lot of cheating! But hey, not as bad as EPO.

Got seeded (or not) in DL batch and road most of the race in tiny groups... had two good spells where I shared work with a Cyclelab gent for about 20/30kays early on and then again with an Edenglen rider from AL out towards the end. Did have the pleasure of a 5 man bunch for about 30 kays inbetween :clap: , but when your starting bunch is only 20 riders and you lose most of those in the first 5kms, it was always going to be a longish day - rode around 3:40

It was training for TransBav anyway, so the wind, rain and all that stuff was actually pretty cool :devil:

Definitely no timing mats at the turn. Just a damn cone...

Could have a lot of cheating! But hey, not as bad as EPO.

Just as bad its cheating in its worst form

bmw1za - what kit were you in?

Same Kit as in my picture... I turned to pick up my goo... but I did the climb ... dont have the balls to cheat ;)

Same Kit as in my picture... I turned to pick up my goo... but I did the climb ... dont have the balls to cheat ;)

Hahaha - not what I meant! Saw you posted about Scott Foil with Di2 and there was a guy in orange kit with similar bike riding with me on way back. Thought it was you.

My Di2 kept dropping the chain so i'm gonna fiddle on that today . Blue Kit and my bike is kind-of matt Black with Dark grey.

Folks, I got narky this morning over the R40 to get in off the N1. It was only when i read the ticket that said "tollgate" that i remembered. Its a toll fee for the N1 not a charge from Carousel. Its the same R40 you pay coming back the other way at the plaza just beyond Carousel.

I guess they have an arrangement with Bakwena, and I seem to remember paying something a few years back getting to this race.

That off ramp tollgate used to be cheaper (by half) . The carousel's logo on the tollgate receipt means they're getting something off that R40. But it would've been nice to get the benefit as race goers as if we entered through their main gate for free.

If you went through the main gate you would have gone through the regular toll plaza and doubled back 2kms, or come off the N1 a few kms before Carousel and crawled through the urban area. Its a choice of speed vs cost.

Hahaha - not what I meant! Saw you posted about Scott Foil with Di2 and there was a guy in orange kit with similar bike riding with me on way back. Thought it was you.

What group did you ride in? There was a guy who started in VB but he didnt last very long... beautiful looking bike i must say!!

What group did you ride in? There was a guy who started in VB but he didnt last very long... beautiful looking bike i must say!!

Started in AL