Swart Kat

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience, XX1 is finicky. Shimano is reliable and strong, but not as sexy to look at. Both good , some happy with XX some happy with Shimano. Best test is when you had both. My next bike will have Shimano, no mater how long this forum list goes with paid or unpaid compliments for SRAM. Next bike Shimano for me. My buddy's new bikes, some are rated MTB riders - Shimano and few waiting for the the new Shimano single front chain ring.

And get what works for you. Trying out what is best for you is best .

Also the lack service one gets from SRAM SOUTH AFRICA, makes it a easy choice.

Night night.

does Shimano have a single chain ring in the pipeline ? Should be interresting to see what they come up with?

Just buy a single speed chainring and slap it onto your existing setup. *taadaa*

Works like a gem for me. Chain sits as snug as a bug. Been meaning to shorten my derailleur cage but it's been working like a dream so I've yet to get around to doing it.

Edited by Nick.

My experience, XX1 is finicky. Shimano is reliable and strong, but not as sexy to look at. Both good , some happy with XX some happy with Shimano. Best test is when you had both. My next bike will have Shimano, no mater how long this forum list goes with paid or unpaid compliments for SRAM. Next bike Shimano for me. My buddy's new bikes, some are rated MTB riders - Shimano and few waiting for the the new Shimano single front chain ring.

And get what works for you. Trying out what is best for you is best .

Also the lack service one gets from SRAM SOUTH AFRICA, makes it a easy choice.

Night night.

Funny the service from Shimano in SA hasn't been that great either.

Hi,

just got XX1, whilst putting on and adjusting gripshift it came apart when I slid it off handlebar, couldn't get it back together and now that I have it made a loud crack when I twisted and is effectively F@cked ! Very irritating not having even ridden it yet.

Apparently I'm not the only one having this experience, cut and paste from another forum,

And it seems I'm not the only one...copy and paste from another forum.

Anybody else experience this ?

Despite the fitting instructions stating quite clearly that you must be careful not to separate twister parts and don't disassemble?

It's not that hard to put it back together if you did pull it apart. Twist the shifter until it's fully closed, place the spring in the home port on the fixed portion, the other end of the spring in the twister, line it up and push it together. The stop point is clearly evident on both parts.

It's just like it was before you ripped it apart if you line it up properly.

this sounds like a Canon vs Nikon fred... obviously Canon is better and so is SRAM - just saying :ph34r:

I think i agree with nitrider, if you try it you wont give it back... but a bit too rich for my blood. maybe X01?

you were doing well till you said Canon was better than Nikon.... I mean WTF :blink: . Obviously everybody knows Nikon rocks! glass is way better.... haha

back to topic - Shimano XT, SRAM X9 and anything up is brilliant kit! So get it, dont stress and enjoy Pal.

I went from sram X9 which I LOVED , to a new bike with Shimano XT and i love it....

At this level I reckon its all about branding :thumbup:

Despite the fitting instructions stating quite clearly that you must be careful not to separate twister parts and don't disassemble?

It's not that hard to put it back together if you did pull it apart. Twist the shifter until it's fully closed, place the spring in the home port on the fixed portion, the other end of the spring in the twister, line it up and push it together. The stop point is clearly evident on both parts.

It's just like it was before you ripped it apart if you line it up properly.

I wasn't trying to disassemble, I was sliding it off handlebar and it came apart in my hand.

And trust me if you have never worked with a 'gripshift' it is anything but intuitive as to how it goes together, it all fitted together fine, but with the first twist there was a 'cracking sounds' and that was that.

I have stripped and built many of my own bikes, have yet to completely 'duff' a installation though like with this one.

And it seems with a small amount of searching various bike forums that I am not the only person who has experienced this with XX1 gripshift.

Edited by McD23

I wasn't trying to disassemble, I was sliding it off handlebar and it came apart in my hand.

And trust me if you have never worked with a 'gripshift' it is anything but intuitive as to how it goes together, it all fitted together fine, but with the first twist there was a 'cracking sounds' and that was that.

I have stripped and built many of my own bikes, have yet to completely 'duff' a installation though like with this one.

And it seems with a small amount of searching various bike forums that I am not the only person who has experienced this with XX1 gripshift.

That is what happens. I'll be happy to reassemble it for you if you want to pop in during the week.

So I got to ride my XX1 set up today ( gripshift was replaced by Jason at Olympic no problem ! )

Thought I would test my mettle with ride from town over Kloof, through Camps Bay to Houtbay,

riding 34 up front, Kloof no problem.

Then hopped in car and drove to Tokia and went for burn up to mast..again 34 upfront no real problem.

I'm using XT crank with wolf chainring ( no guide ) hammered the rough section after tar to see how chain handles and no problem, infact didn't even hear the chain 'slapping' around like it used to!

Enjoyed the clean look and feel of handlebar and single blade upfront.

any more feedback XX1 users , hows is the gripshift and which is better gripshift or shifters

Durability so far we have 6000km from one user

any feedback ont he GXP BB users - happyniness?

any more feedback XX1 users , hows is the gripshift and which is better gripshift or shifters

Durability so far we have 6000km from one user

any feedback ont he GXP BB users - happyniness?

I've used both the gripshift (which I started with) and I'm now using triggers. I think the gripshift shifts faster and more accurately. The only reason I changed was that I wanted to run thinner grips.

Durability not so good for me. My 42T lasted only 1000km, so now I'm limited to a 10-36 at the back. The 42 slips with the new chain that I put on at 1000km. I also changed chainrings at 1000km. The reason for the poor durability at the back is that the 42 is aluminium whereas the rest of the cassette is steel. So if your riding involves lots of climbing (as mine does) then carefully consider if XX1 is right for you, or else run a smaller chainring at the front than you might have, to minimise the time spent in the 42. My complaints to SRAM/Cape Cycles about this were fobbed off. Next time I will buy Shimano (hopefully they have a better engineered 1x11 alternative by then).

Is XX1 for your average, social cyclist? This may have been addressed in this forum already but at 12 pages of posts I can't find it. I am not as fit as I should be but get around multi-day events such as Houwhoek, Greyton and W2W near the tail end of the pack. Is XX1 a good choice or do I need the additional gear ratios of other gearsets?

Is XX1 for your average, social cyclist? This may have been addressed in this forum already but at 12 pages of posts I can't find it. I am not as fit as I should be but get around multi-day events such as Houwhoek, Greyton and W2W near the tail end of the pack. Is XX1 a good choice or do I need the additional gear ratios of other gearsets?

No loss in the upper or lower ends, so you're not losing out on gear ratios. I run a 1x10 and I'm a very social (and unfit) rider...