Cape Epic turn over R50 million

dillon

Guest Omega Man

I hope to get me another AM bike and join you guys on our next trip.

And so we get to the real reason for me commenting on this thread. Blatant Marketing. We are going next year in July again. Doing an all in trip.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the guys dissing the Cape Epic as a ripoff... think about this for one little second.

Do you aspire to or in fact drive a luxury car? Do you own name brand clothing? Do you have or want a Tag watch? Do you want to live in a lekker suburb? Do you want to ride a carbon Niner or Cannondale SuperSix?

The Cape Epic is the brand stage race in the world. To do it, is going to cost you money. Obviously there is better value out there, but is it the same? Does it tick that box? Like everything in life, there are things that are better value for money, and there are things that you pay extra for because of the name - in Mtb circles (and beyond) - the ABSA Cape Epic is that name.

If you can't grasp this little bit of info, then I suggest you stop all the cars in traffic on the way home that aren't incredible value for money and tell them they are fools and they should all be driving Toyota Tazz's! Hopefully one of them does us all a favour :devil:

Funny you said that cos in 10 days I'll be doing just that. I can also tell you that despite the recent poor showing of the ront my 10 day trip is costing SUBSTANTIALLY less than a Cape Epic entry.

Including flights

And I wont be dossing in a tent on a school field and k@kking in a porta loo.

Can I see ur itenary and cost breakdown please. I would like to see the numbers.

How?

Its a multi day stage race for guys with stupid money that are willing to pay for bragging rights.

I'd rather put that money down on my bond.

I suspect the sentiment was MTB'ing in SA gets a real boost from coverage of the EPIC

I suspect the sentiment was MTB'ing in SA gets a real boost from coverage of the EPIC

It does indeed BUT let me add that Epic is not cheap even for European riders. Experienced this firsthand again at J2C where guys from Europe told me that it is just too expensive and they would rather do other more affordable races.

Guest Omega Man

Can I see ur itenary and cost breakdown please. I would like to see the numbers.

Flight Emirates from Cape Town 10500

Accomodation 10 Days Self catering 2500

Lift Pass 1800

Airport shuttle 550

Spending Money 5000

Insurance 800

Total 21150

I'm probly gonna spend more than the budgeted 5k cos I might just buy a new helmet if what I'm after is available.

Edited by Omega Man

To all the guys dissing the Cape Epic as a ripoff... think about this for one little second.

Do you aspire to or in fact drive a luxury car? Do you own name brand clothing? Do you have or want a Tag watch? Do you want to live in a lekker suburb? Do you want to ride a carbon Niner or Cannondale SuperSix?

The Cape Epic is the brand stage race in the world. To do it, is going to cost you money. Obviously there is better value out there, but is it the same? Does it tick that box? Like everything in life, there are things that are better value for money, and there are things that you pay extra for because of the name - in Mtb circles (and beyond) - the ABSA Cape Epic is that name.

If you can't grasp this little bit of info, then I suggest you stop all the cars in traffic on the way home that aren't incredible value for money and tell them they are fools and they should all be driving Toyota Tazz's! Hopefully one of them does us all a favour :devil:

So brand sluts have helped make the CE unaffordable for most people in SA? Comparing the CE to a BMW is nonsense, in my opinion of course. You pay more for a high end car because it is built better, lasts longer and drives better than a cheaper one and that is the reason why the brand has value . In what way is the CE quantitatively a better experience than the CPT, BC Bike Race, Trans Rockies, Trans Alps etc?

It does indeed BUT let me add that Epic is not cheap even for European riders. Experienced this firsthand again at J2C where guys from Europe told me that it is just too expensive and they would rather do other more affordable races.

Yea, remember that aunty at Jolivet or the danish express.....they all said this is the best riding they have ever done and had an absolute blast. Again all relative.

So brand sluts have helped make the CE unaffordable for most people in SA? Comparing the CE to a BMW is nonsense, in my opinion of course. You pay more for a high end car because it is built better, lasts longer and drives better than a cheaper one and that is the reason why the brand has value . In what way is the CE quantitatively a better experience than the CPT, BC Bike Race, Trans Rockies, Trans Alps etc?

So you believe all cars prices are directly related to their manufacturing costs? You're not say paying an extra R20/50k for that badge on the front?

Yea, remember that aunty at Jolivet or the danish express.....they all said this is the best riding they have ever done and had an absolute blast. Again all relative.

And they're gonna tell their friends, and their friends their friends and the demand for entries will go up, and the price will ultimately increase... and kippy here in five years time will be thinking I should have entered the joBerg2c back when it was more affordable :blush:

And they're gonna tell their friends, and their friends their friends and the demand for entries will go up, and the price will ultimately increase... and kippy here in five years time will be thinking I should have entered the joBerg2c back when it was more affordable :blush:

Join us next year brother....pull the trigger :thumbup:

So you believe all cars prices are directly related to their manufacturing costs? You're not say paying an extra R20/50k for that badge on the front?

That's hard to say. All I know is my 11 year old BMW is far better built and has better technology under the skin than my wife's slightly newer Golf. Both do the job, but I'd rather be sitting in the one with the badge on it. Actually I'd rather be in my 02 Mazda MX5, sadly sold last year...

It's not the entries only that generates the R50mil, it's also other income such as sponsors and rider packages etc etc.

But still, a lot of dough generated and definitely great for SA in terms of tourism, putting SA and the local communities on the map, creation of new routes in SA and all the rest.

Def on the bucket list!

Flight Emirates from Cape Town 10500

Accomodation 10 Days Self catering 2500

Lift Pass 1800

Airport shuttle 550

Spending Money 5000

Insurance 800

Total 21150

I'm probly gonna spend more than the budgeted 5k cos I might just buy a new helmet if what I'm after is available.

And the race entry fee?