• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R24500 pp = R 49 000 per team

600 teams I think

Entries =R 29 000 000

And that's just for a basic entry... Then there are those who enter and choose a premium upgrade...

I'm sure that's a hell of a lot more than a basic entry :eek:

Guest Jacques Viljoen

Flight Emirates from Cape Town 10500

Accomodation 10 Days Self catering 2500

Lift Pass 1800

Airport shuttle 550

Spending Money 5000

Insurance 800

Total 21150

I'm probly gonna spend more than the budgeted 5k cos I might just buy a new helmet if what I'm after is available.

Edited by Jacques Viljoen

No race.

Damn and here I thought we were talking about doing a MTB race abroad. Nevertheless I think you are trying to convince yourself that you can go abroad for cheaper. I personally don’t think you will get that right but good luck to you. The numbers you quoted covers the bare minimum and that is not reality. I've been there but I would like to hear from you when you get back. Enjoy yourself.

If I do something I do it because I want to and can afford to. I don’t bang on about if it is worth the cost because it almost always is not.

And after all that you still haven't done a EPIC

Obvious troll is obvious. Please just stop. Or at least read the preceding posts. Also: 'an' Epic, cause E is a vowel.

Omega Man; stop with this. It makes me peep at my passport and credit card.

Let's see; spectate Romaniacs, 10 days or so of AM in the Alps or wherever then spectate the ISDE in Sardiniia. 20% of bucket list ticked off.

Wife; very ticked off - her bucket list is bus or barge round France.

Supply and demand. If it was my race I would price it till I find the top of the market. Well done to Kevin and keep the capitalist dream alive!

Love to ride the Epic someday, but my money is best spent (or invested) elsewhere at the moment.

....o, could have been mentioned elsewhere (did not read every post), but turnover does not equal net profit.

Guest Omega Man

Damn and here I thought we were talking about doing a MTB race abroad. Nevertheless I think you are trying to convince yourself that you can go abroad for cheaper. I personally don’t think you will get that right but good luck to you. The numbers you quoted covers the bare minimum and that is not reality. I've been there but I would like to hear from you when you get back. Enjoy yourself.

If I do something I do it because I want to and can afford to. I don’t bang on about if it is worth the cost because it almost always is not.

This will be my third trip. The numbers I've quoted are real.

I can mail you my plane ticket, Insurance details, accommodation booking and airport shuttle quotes if you'd like me to. The lift ticket prices are freely available on the internet and my spending money is based on 30 Euro a day for food and beer plus 2 or 3 nights out.

Apart from the plane ticket (which I booked late and screwed myself) it's actually very cheap there.

As for it being worth it. 24 ski lifts. 12 mountains with trails on them. 650km of marked trail. But ja ok....

Edited by Omega Man

This will be my third trip. The numbers I've quoted are real.

I can mail you my plane ticket, Insurance details, accommodation booking and airport shuttle quotes if you'd like me to. The lift ticket prices are freely available on the internet and my spending money is based on 30 Euro a day for food and beer plus 2 or 3 nights out.

No no no pls don't mail me :-) Enjoy your trip and that is money well spend.

And that's just for a basic entry... Then there are those who enter and choose a premium upgrade...

I'm sure that's a hell of a lot more than a basic entry :eek:

What is the premium upgrade?

I guess bike services, massage, etc.z...?

Guest Omega Man

Omega Man; stop with this. It makes me peep at my passport and credit card.

Let's see; spectate Romaniacs, 10 days or so of AM in the Alps or wherever then spectate the ISDE in Sardiniia. 20% of bucket list ticked off.

Wife; very ticked off - her bucket list is bus or barge round France.

Oooooh. Now we talking. Maybe time it to take in the TT and you've got yourself a dream trip right there.

Guest Omega Man

No no no pls don't mail me :-) Enjoy your trip and that is money well spend.

:thumbup: Not dissing the Epic. I think It's great. Great for SA. Great for MTB in SA. and doing it is a huge achievement.

you can. i went to the himalayas last year. cycled for 10 days. total cost including everything even gifts for the wife and kids R25000. ok not less, but damn near the same.

What is the premium upgrade?

I guess bike services, massage, etc.z...?

Also accommodation improvement options i.e. in campervans at the race venue or in local B and B's with a driver and bus that fetches and carries you in the morning and evening......BBB

Big Bucks Boet

You could go ride in the alps for that money and do a lot more "quality mountainbiking". Not on my list.

Totally agree, I paid R11500 for a team for the first Epic I did and done another since, and will never do it again. Plenty better 'value for money' events out there at as much of a challenge and far nicer riding. But it is based on supply and demand and as long as people are willing to pay the price, the price will keep going up, so what is that doing for MTB in South Africa for the general population? Most stage races cost about R1250-R1500/day , but the epic feels it is comfortable charging double that, so you decide if its worth paying that amount to ride rocky jeep track and walk sandy dunes, so be it?

Next year I am going with 6-8 mates to ride across from Germany to Riva del Garda (same route as Trans Alps) and watch the Giro afterwards for less than it would cost for half an Epic entry, flights included, hotels, meals, etc included, go figure?

Totally agree, I paid R11500 for a team for the first Epic I did and done another since, and will never do it again. Plenty better 'value for money' events out there at as much of a challenge and far nicer riding. But it is based on supply and demand and as long as people are willing to pay the price, the price will keep going up, so what is that doing for MTB in South Africa for the general population? Most stage races cost about R1250-R1500/day , but the epic feels it is comfortable charging double that, so you decide if its worth paying that amount to ride rocky jeep track and walk sandy dunes, so be it?

Next year I am going with 6-8 mates to ride across from Germany to Riva del Garda (same route as Trans Alps) and watch the Giro afterwards for less than it would cost for half an Epic entry, flights included, hotels, meals, etc included, go figure?

Yes but your names wont be recorded for eternity on the interweb as a race participant

:whistling: that's the cost of fame....

TBH I think your 2014 option is the better idea