I'm a dumbass.

A total, proper, unrefined dumbass.

For those who know what I ride, I have been looking for a new fork recently. Namely a RS Lyrik 170mm to go on the front of my Reign X. The current fork was (yes, WAS) a 150mm Revelation which, even though it was a FANTASTIC fork, was too short for the bike. The Reign X has 170mm at the back, and the shorter travel fork was compromising the geometry (head angle, BB height / drop & wheelbase) so it had to go.

I had 2 potential options lined up, both VERY good forks with zero abuse and / or wear.

I have just SOLD my revelation for the same price I paid for it. Good deal.

So I tell the guy that I can come and collect the Lyrik. "Oh" I say "what length is the steerer?"

Cue FML moment.

Oke responds "185mm on the tapered, 180mm on the straight"

FAIL. My head tube is 153mm long, and the headset pokes out another 15mm. My current (old) fork had a 210mm steerer, and that was the lower limit. No spacers. Just fork, headset & stem. Slammed. That means my stem would have either 12mm or 17mm to latch on to.

So. If anyone knows of an air sprung 170mm fork with a 20mm TA that is going for super cheap, whether it be Fox, RS, X Fusion or Suntour, and it has Hi/Low compression adjust & rebound adjust, PLEASE let me know. I am currently forkless.

FML

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently waiting for Suntour to come back in stock (R2800 for the durolux NEW!!!) but in the mean time Im also looking... and I have a very short headtude, maybe you can show me the lyric;)

Currently waiting for Suntour to come back in stock (R2800 for the durolux NEW!!!) but in the mean time Im also looking... and I have a very short headtude, maybe you can show me the lyric;)

You serious!? I need the 170mm. Wll be glad to show you the Lyrik... PM inbound.

Those Durolux forks look very nice, and one of the top French Enduro riders use one on his Caminade.

Yeah. Waiting on word on a price of those, as well as some x fusion vengeance forks.

At the cost equal to a new fork maybe... Unless you know someone who can do it?

I bought a RS Sektor off a mate recently that was too short. Had it lengthened by Link Engineering in Woodstock.

Think they charged about R320. They turned a solid piece of ali down to the same OD as the steerer, turned a step/shoulder into the bottom that slid into the steerer and then welded the joint and ground it down after. They drilled a smallish hole down the middle for the stemcap bolt. Only trick is to make sure you leave the starnut in as you can't fit it after the job's been done.

As is, the steerer is probably stronger than a standard one.

Some of the shorter travel forks have spacers that can be removed to increase the travel. Does the revelation have them as well or can it only be shortened?